Thread: Monday MAME Club [12/19/05] - Skull & Crossbones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Monday MAME Club [12/19/05] - Skull & Crossbones

This week's game is Skull & Crossbones (Atari, 1989). Download, play, and discuss! (KLOV Info)

Club Rules

01. You do not need to sign up for the club. If you want to participate, simply download the game of the week and post about it!

02. At the end of the week, I will randomly select someone who participated this week to select next week's game.

03. The current MAME Club Pick of the Week can be found Mondays stickied at the top of the main forum, and after that stickied at the top of the Arcade Alley forum.

Previously Picked Games: Blood Bros, Bubbles, Donkey Kong 3, Great 1000 Mile Rally, Gunforce 2, Haunted Castle, Liquid Kids, Mad Planets, Ninja Clowns, Rescue, Top Hunter, Yie-Ar Kung-Fu, 19xx: The War Against Destiny, Alligator Hunt, APB - All Points Bulletin, Armed Police Batrider, Ataxx, Battle Bakraid, Battle Bakraid, Battle Circuit, Berzerk, Biomechanical Toy, Blazing Star, Block Out, Bomb Jack, Bronze Adventure, Burgertime, Caliber 50, Chuka Taisen/Cloud Master, City Bomber, Combatribes, Crossbow, D&D: Shadow Over Mystara, Daisu-Kiss, Darius Gaiden, Dr. Micro, Dynasty Wars, Elevator Action, Elevator Action Returns, Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters, ESP Ra.De., G.I. Joe, Go! Go! Mile Smile, Gunbarich, Gyruss, I'm Sorry, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Lady Bug, League Bowling, Mega Twins, Metal Slug 2, Mighty! Pang, Mr. Do!'s Wild Ride, Mysterious Stones, NARC, Pandora's Palace, Pang, Penguin-Kun Wars, Portman, Prehistoric Isle in 1930, Pu-Li-Ru-La, Raiden II, Rampart!, Rastan, Rollergames, Satan's Hollow, Shinobi, Skull & Crossbones, Solomon's Key, Splatterhouse, Strike Force, Super Burgertime, Tempest, The Punisher, The Simpsons, Vs. Excitebike, Vendetta, Waku Waku 7, Withdrew, WWF Superstars.

Now, MAME ON!

** Note -- want to be notified when a new Monday Morning MAME Club pick is posted? Send an e-mail to flack@cox.net asking me to add me to the mailing list, and when a new game is posted I'll e-mail you the URL! You can get removed from the list by e-mailing me and asking to be removed. **

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

As I am the one responsible for this pick I'll post first.

This is one of those games i discovered only because of MAME. Had I ever encountered this in the small access time to arcades I had in my youth, I'm sure this would have eaten many of my quarters. Anyone who likes pirates will find this game fun for at least one level...and who doesn't like pirates? I've also always enjoyed games that directly encourage and reward you for, basically, greed. Wario games are great. The treasures in this game are interesting, as you get a magic item for every boss you beat, which then show up again when you re-right the bosses in the final stage (and arcade staple!). How exactly a Budda statue is used to fight a ninja master...I dunno.

That's something to think about...sure there is ship to ship battles for treasure and wenches who seem to love you even though you call them wenches, but how did these pirates piss off an evil wizard? And evil wizard who's friends with ninjas no less. Bizarre. But that's why I like this game. It's greatly over the top in many ways, from the booze/meat powerups, to the amazingly stereotypical arcade sound effects (i don't mean that in a bad way, just that when you hear games in movies..they sound a lot like this game).

So yeah, hope you've enjoyed this pick. I do my best to find things that are quality yet possibly unheard of. Then again for all I know this game was huge, as I didn't get nearly enough time in arcades in my youth for my tastes.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, that's a strange coincidence; we were just talking about this game in another topic that I post.

...weird...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I subscribe to the theory that a game needs to addict the gamer within 5 minutes or that game isn't gonna be played much. A lot of my games on MAME are like this. They may be arcade classics, great shooters, etc. but if I'm not hooked in 5 minutes, you're gonna loose me to something else (probably Gyruss).

Thank God for the Monday Morning MAME Club!

Just as Cryomancer described, there is something to be said about plundering. I might not have sunk as many quarters into it as others had but it was definitely worth playing. As I progressed to the stage with Ninjas I thought "well what kind of self respecting evil wizard doesn't have a plethura of ninjas waiting to attack". Must have been something about the 80's. Trust me, every neighborhood had a kid who knew all about ninjas and throwing stars, but nobody seemed to give a rats hind end about pirates and swashbuckling. I guess that wasn't near as cool (unless you're a Goonie)

I had fun playing the game. I had so much fun I played it through 2 more times. This will certainly be added to the "favorites" list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I played it last night a little bit and enjoyed it. You're right, it's kind of a hodge podge of characters, but once you get into it it's pretty entertaining! It's definitely one I'd never heard of but got a kick out of playing, and like someone else said, that's what I love most about this club!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

once again, a game I have never even heard of is brought to my attention thanks to this site. Nice game. I am not a pirate fan, but this game is neat.