Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xbox the new Dreamcast?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DrJustin, I think one of the online shooters you referred to in your last reply was called Shrapnel. I just saw it in the manual for Spec Ops II.

What happened to Gorkamorka, Legend of Blademasters, and Shrapnel? I see 2000 as the date for the Spec Ops manual, so I know these games were killed long before the DC's production was stopped...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to disagree with you about the X-Box being a hardcore gamer system. The 20 or so people I know who own one just bought one just to have prettier sports games then thier PS2 buddies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

If you don't think there's a hardcore following for Xbox, you should hit up the Xbox boards at www.veterangamers.com . Those guys seem to play the Xbox almost exclusively (which there is nothing wrong with, they still acknowledge good games on other systems). Jose, you got one of them right. Legend of the Blademasters was the ARPG I wa referring to, but I think the shooter was initially titled in letters with periods in between them, I could be wrong though, and they may have changed the initial name to Shrapnel. I'll have to dig that old GameFan out someday.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the Xbox exclusively to play Steel Battalion, although I have also enjoyed GUNVALKYRIE, SERIOUS SAM, and PANZER DRAGOON ORTA. And Bloodrayne.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like I told Cmosfm, Bloodrayne kicks ass!

Also, if you're an Xbox owner, you have to try Deathrow. I've owned this game for over a year and didn't play it until last night. Now, I'm addicted. Think an ultra-violent futuristic Frisbee game with leagues. Now, I'm not a fan of sports games, but it plays really well. This game did swearing and excessive violence right on the Xbox long before Grand Theft Auto Double Pack...

And it has custom soundtrack support.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

<shameless plug>

I wrote and FAQ for Deathrow that you can find over at IGN.com if you're so inclined. There's another one up at Gamefaqs, the guy wrote after claiming mine was "inadequate" and "nothing more than an expanded instruction manual." Keep in mind, however that mine was up a full 6+ months before his, and his contains much of the same information as mine .

</shameless plug>

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sadly i've never had a DC..

when PSX first came out, i didnt really know about N64 and DC... i had seen commercials and stuffa bout PSX and i was set on getting one.. i went to the store and i was like.. ok dad i'm getting the PSX.. its over there on the shelve.. and my dad was like.. hey what about this $199 console and i was like.. PFFT... i'm gonna get the PSX and i kinda wish i had both.. b/c the psx was really cool, but i never got to enjoy DC while it was around and i've been looking for one for a while now and still havent found one.. i dont shop on ebay and havent seen one in pawn shops in my town..

but i cant really say if i think xbox is becoming hte next DC since i never had a DC.. but i DO think its cool that Sonic is gonna be out for xbox and ps2.. and not just GC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember in 2000 when the PSX started showing its age and I decided to hope on the next generation bangwagon and I traded all my PSX games and accesories along with PSX and got me a nifty used Dreamcast and one game from gamestop,for some reason the Dreamcast started having a place in my heart unlike the rest of the systems I had owened since the original NES,it was just a great produced machine that wasnt clunky or an eyesore and had a simplistic design but had the hardwear to back it up.

I was a big NBA fans and NBA2K was a great sports title when the Live Series from EA started going downhill for a while{ 2001-2003},I also a huge Resident Evil fan and CV was simply a kickass game that really took the series to the next level,also alot of easy to use emulators for NES,SNES,etc where made for the dreamcast and that added to its appeal,I was also looking forward to the Half-Life for Dreamcast along with Shenmue 2 but Half-Life was never released and Shenmue only released in Japan

I think the biggest problem was that mainstream people wanted to see if it could continue the 3rd party support for the upcoming Playstation 2,When Sony announced the backwards compatibilby and the built in DVD the mainstream saved their checks and gave Sony the market back before a game was even sold on those two things alone.

Sega may come back again,or end up like 3DO and Atari and just develope games and not worry about loosing millions on another fallen system

R.I.P Dreamcast

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm not quite sure how to describe it, but they are very much the same. While I must say that the "xbocks" plays older systems much better than the DC. The DC is still legendary in my mind and is one of the most simplistic systems that will hit the market for a long time, if we ever see one again. On a side note before I forget, the comment about your friends only buying an xbox for prettier sports games......get new friends Because that's a pretty lame excuse to buy a console when that's the only reason.

One final note in comparison of the systems and their features. I played around with my DC alot, especially UT and I must say that even on my somewhat "OK" steal from walmart TV, it looked awesome and was probably the best console to play UT or any Unreal game on. It's still not as good as the keyboard and mouse combo, but it's pretty close. And about the controllers, they're awesome! When you first pick up a DC controller.....you play and think.....wow....are you kidding me? but once you get into the game and you're fixed on the tube, it doesn't even matter anymore. And the same follows with the xbox S controllers as I wouldn't recommend the original "Big" controllers....not what i look for anyways. But I beat Simpsons Hit and Run on Xbox and I always think the controller is too weird when I go to pick it up. But once you move from the controller to being in the game, it's perfect. Some games have issues with the button layout but this holds true with other systems as well. Much like I love my gamecube to death......but the upper most button on the front(x or y) is just unreachable to me. I know it's there and I can reach it but it just doesn't happen in gameplay for me. Play TMNT for gamecube and that button is jump......and i find it horrible to use. But I don't have any problems using it in Viewtiful Joe.....so who knows. But anybody who hasn't should check out an xbox on a 55" WS in HD, it's better than bad, it's good!!(Logggggg......Logg.....It's big, It's heavy, It's WOOD)