Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragon quest 8 talk

I just beat it and it's such a great game. Leaps and bounds better than the stinking pile that was DW7.
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is a great game, but I actually prefer Dragon Warrior 7.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a wonderful game. I love it greatly. I have a hard time sustaining interest though considering the ammount of grinding the game requires. At least the combat is fun.

If I'm on Empeechu (sp?) isle, how much futher do I have to go?

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prismra
    It's a wonderful game. I love it greatly. I have a hard time sustaining interest though considering the ammount of grinding the game requires. At least the combat is fun.

If I'm on Empeechu (sp?) isle, how much futher do I have to go?
    depends on if you have followed the bird to the dark world
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Empycchu, I'd say you got a little bit more to go. Once you leave the island, you'll go to another island for a couple minutes, then to a prison for a few minutes, then to the holy island for a few minutes then to the final floating island. As spoiler-less as possible.

Then after that, you can still play for a long while and get some neato boss stuff.

For the record, I'm up to the final battle (Not the extra stuff I just mentioned) and have died once to him.

Flying kicks ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love DQ8.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually didn't even know about DW7.. Or even know about 5 nor 6.. Been asking for years about sequals the the NES titles and no one seemed to know jack! Then out of the blue I was sitting at work last night and out of the blue comes the commercial for DQ8! I was astonished, and a bit confused at the same time.. I missed out all this time now knowing...

Strange that.

Well anyway I'm off to see what system(s) 5-7 came out on. Man I need to pop my head out of my dusty classics more often. Missing out on quite a bit I see!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JesterDev
    I actually didn't even know about DW7.. Or even know about 5 nor 6.. Been asking for years about sequals the the NES titles and no one seemed to know jack! Then out of the blue I was sitting at work last night and out of the blue comes the commercial for DQ8! I was astonished, and a bit confused at the same time.. I missed out all this time now knowing...

Strange that.

Well anyway I'm off to see what system(s) 5-7 came out on. Man I need to pop my head out of my dusty classics more often. Missing out on quite a bit I see!
    DQ5&6 are SNES, with no US release, but playable fan translations. DQ7 is PS1, and fairly easy to get used, unless DQ8's release is causing a spike in demand and price. Then there's all the rereleases and spinoffs.
    This site goes into detail on every DQ product I've heard of, except the upcoming DQ Yangus and the new Slime-centric game, Mori Mori 2.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game seems to be selling really well, do you think they'll put together a bunch of collections like Squaresoft did w/ FF on PSone? I've never played anything past 3 except 7 and 8...and none of the monster games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played DQ8 for about 22 hours, but then I just gave up on it. Infact I love the game, not sure why I stopped playing, I just got the boat to sail around.

Ill go back to it, probably sometime next year when I have time to commit to a huge game like that.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DQ5&6 are SNES, with no US release, but playable fan translations. DQ7 is PS1, and fairly easy to get used, unless DQ8's release is causing a spike in demand and price. Then there's all the rereleases and spinoffs.
    This site goes into detail on every DQ product I've heard of, except the upcoming DQ Yangus and the new Slime-centric game, Mori Mori 2.
    Thanks for the info. Heading off to ebay to see if I can pick up DQ7. I'm sure I can find the translations for the SNES versions quite easily on the net somewhere. If I don't already have them..

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JesterDev

Thanks for the info. Heading off to ebay to see if I can pick up DQ7. I'm sure I can find the translations for the SNES versions quite easily on the net somewhere. If I don't already have them..
    Play 5 and 6 to your heart's content; it'll remind you why you love the series before you settle in to 7, which for me will always be remembered as 3 hours of *NOTHING*, followed by 90 more hours of poorly paced gameplay. Seriously, the first 3 hours take place in the town in which you start, and a completely enemy-free dungeon, before you meet your first slime. It really needed the first 2 1/2 hours cut and about 35 hours of the remaining 90ish. 10-15 hours before you even get the option for class change?!? I did finish it, but I may never play it again, especially considering how much easier every other entry in the series is to get into for me.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Just got this today, loving it!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still praying for rereleases of the first four (Or even just the first) on the Game Boy Advanced.

They released the first three on the GBC, but that's not good enough. These games deserve a GBA release. I have never played 4 before. (No ROM on the internet) And 2 and 3 for a minute each. 1 was the only one I ever put any effort into as it's the only one I ever owned.

I'd also love to play 5 once. Never hear anything about 6. But I also hear bad things about 7, but would still like to try it.

C'mon, Enix, do some rereleasing already. I'd settle for a complation of emulated ones on the PS2.

DW1 was the first RPG I ever played, the first one I really got into and the only RPG I played for years until Super Mario came out. It was also the first one with Alchemy, the first really deep game I ever played, the first time I ever turned down the volume on the TV when roaming the overworld in fear of the loud sound that played when an enemy drew near. Also the only one I ever turned the volume down for. Hey, I was 9 years old. I scared easily. I hate balloons because the off chance they'll pop. I HATE LOUD SOUNDS!

Anyways... I'm this close to buying (Rebuying) DWI+II on the Color just to have it portable. But dammit if it sucks I can't play GBC games on my micro. Damn you, Nintendo. I have to put up with my seriously inferior GBASP for that. But I really want to play it again, as when I had it the first time in 2000, it got lost so fast. So I haven't put any time into it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, I might have to open this after hearing nothing but good things. The demo did absolutely nothing for me, so i shelved it in favor of some other recent releases. I did play through 5 and enjoyed it immensly, 7 was god awful.

Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you get frustrated at dying too much before getting to the boss in the waterfall? You really should give it a big try. It gets much better as you go. Especially when you return the crystal ball to Kalderasha and the plot starts to thicken.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it hsould be showing up early next week, so I might. Right now I am splitting time with Wild Arms ACF and Magna Carta - each hs its good points.

Another reason I wasn't anticipating DQ8 was tha tI had the OST quite a while befor ethe game came out, and just wan't terribly impressed. I know it's the type of music that's much better while you are playing the actual game than if it's stand-alone, but it was still a turn-off for me.

Dave

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I'd also love to play 5 once. Never hear anything about 6. But I also hear bad things about 7, but would still like to try it.

C'mon, Enix, do some rereleasing already. I'd settle for a complation of emulated ones on the PS2.
    Squeenix? They released a PS2 remake of Dragon Quest V like two years ago in Japan. If it was coming out in the states, it might have been released sooner than 4 weeks ago. Then again...

They're the same company that made Unlimited SaGa and Romancing SaGa. And, dammit, they are working on a new Drakkengard sequel and pushed Kingdom Hearts II/Final Fantasy XII to next spring/summer.

The DQ5 remake wasn't bad, but if you go ahead and play the translated ROM floating around the internet, I won't tell.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can actually hold out hope for the DQ5 rerelease coming here, in light of the positive response DQ8 is getting from reviewers and consumers, and the fact that the same engine, minus the cel-shading and with some of the perspectives fiddled with, was used.

And, though my post above suggests otherwise, I really liked DW7 (challenge is perfect, job system is the most expansive I've ever encountered, LOTS of side activities), but the PACING is the worst I've ever encountered, in any game ever. And since every other game in the series is a consistent joy to play throughout, every other game in the series sees way more playthroughs from me than 7 will (if it ever gets played again).

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Speaking of DQ5 and 6, I liked 6 moreso then 5. never played 7.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)