Thread: Strangest find Locations?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strangest find Locations?

Where is the wierdest place you pick up games from? It could be a place that you goto often, or a once in a lifetime find.

A Cooker and Vaccuum Shop, with SNES carts tucked behind the grills? The thrift store in the most run-down part of the city, with brand new Genesis games?

For me it's the Rubbish Dump.
    I go there with pretty low expectations. Basically, I dunno if they do this in the States, but here in England, certain dumps get the salvage rights, meaning any item they find that is any good, they'll lay out by the office for sale.
    The consoles and carts are always loose, and in horrible condition, I found a Megadrive with controllers and cables for £4, but had to spend all day cleaning it up. Also, my 28" TV was £25, this works like a dream!

But my strangest find was a Doctor V64, complete with all the polestreyne, cables all neatly tied up, console looking brand new... for £5!

Now when my dad comes home and say's he's got a Christmas Present for me from the dump, I don't think he's a cheap-stake, I'm genuinely excited!

What about you guys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Strangest find Locations?

Quote Originally Posted by McBacon
    Where is the wierdest place you pick up games from? It could be a place that you goto often, or a once in a lifetime find.

A Cooker and Vaccuum Shop, with SNES carts tucked behind the grills? The thrift store in the most run-down part of the city, with brand new Genesis games?

I go there with pretty low expectations. Basically, I dunno if they do this in the States, but here in England, certain dumps get the salvage rights, meaning any item they find that is any good, they'll lay out by the office for sale.
    The consoles and carts are always loose, and in horrible condition, I found a Megadrive with controllers and cables for £4, but had to spend all day cleaning it up. Also, my 28" TV was £25, this works like a dream!

But my strangest find was a Doctor V64, complete with all the polestreyne, cables all neatly tied up, console looking brand new... for £5!

Now when my dad comes home and say's he's got a Christmas Present for me from the dump, I don't think he's a cheap-stake, I'm genuinely excited!

What about you guys?
    Wow recycling at its best I wish the US had a system like this.

Unfortunatly I don't have any interesting locations to talk about.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

actually zellers had brand new snes,nes,genesis and n64 games for the longest time. they had them for quite a while after the ps2 came out. I remeber seeing uniracers for the snes(buddy picked it up) and super mario bros 3 selaed

kinda weird to see a retail store have old games for sale not in the bargain bin

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before I even knew what nintendo was, (even though I had an N64 at the time ), me and my mom went to this one nun's place for a garage sale. They had two dirt-common Atari 2600 games (Ms. Pac-Man & E.T.) in a black garbage bag for 3 cents each.

Of course, this was one of the many factors that had influenced me to start my own collection...

(-Oh, and for those who wanted to know, I traded both the games off to some smelly guy named Doug behind the counter of a now-gone Video Game X-change store .)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i stopped by a church sale once and bought an arcadia with 6 boxed(some sealed) games for $10...they also had 3 colecovisions, atari 2600 and games. mustve had a kids room for daycare in the early 80s...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I don't remember who it was, but when I was a DP newbie, I remember that someone had found a couple of new and sealed NES games, including a gold cart Legend of Zelda, at an auto parts store. I can't imagine a wierder place to find something like that.

Chris

EDIT: It was our good buddy CmosFM. Man you find some cool stuff!

Original threads relating to this cool find:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31474
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33969

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBacon
    While we don't have that type of setup here in "throw-away central" (US) my Dad and I would go to the local dump when i was a kid and we would find numerous things in good shape that people just threw away.

Toys, chairs, you name it. Things that only required a minimal amount of TLC and they would be good as new.

Quite shameful that people throw the stuff away like that.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

When I first turned 16 I worked at a Babbage's and I knew where their back door was (for taking out garbage and such).

A few years later I didn't work there anymore and I was walking past the food court and my old manager was coming out of that door and said:

"Hi Ken! Will you take these to the dumpster for me? I'm here by myself."

"Sure!" I said.

Needless to say, unless "dumpster" is a metaphor for the trunk of my car, they never made it.

The box had around 25 NES games that just needed a good cleaning & several months worth of old game magazines!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The weirdest spots I've found things weren't weird because of finding things, but were weird because of what I found there...

In 2001, I found a brand new copy of Jetsons, Quattro Arcade and Where's Waldo for the NES at a Wal*Mart. Apparently, they had kept the same shelves in the store for years and finally remodeled, and found these long-forgotten items (along with a few more) stuft back behind the shelves.

At about the same time, I found a bunch of copies of new SNES games at a discount store in Ohio. This included at least 25 copies of Super Turrican 2, which I bought only one of and listed on the GOAT Store... I got a TON of emails about it because apparently, even Ocean didn't know that it had been sold in the US, and the print run was rumored to be 1000 or less. Amazing that so many would have turned up there, along with some other really strange, rare games.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333