Thread: DOA 4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DOA 4

Ok, I dident see a thread dedicated to this game so i figured i would make one.

Who else has this game? I think its amazing. Im having a hard time finding any flaws in the game at all. I am truely addicted to this game.

So what do the rest of you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played it yet but it looks like a title I need to pick up when I get my 360.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Played it a little the other night. It looks amazing and the controls rock.

Great game.

It was a friend of mines copy, but I will buy it based on playing it the other night.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I went through hell to get it yesterday and i'm loving it. I'm also loving how you only have to fight Alpha-152 if it's part of your story.

The only problem i have is that the xbox D-pad doesn't have a clearly defined right, yet again. I often find myself trying to run and instead doing a spin in the air.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I plan on buying this tomorrow along with my new HDTV.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks plenty fine in low def.

I can't count the leaves on the trees or anything, but still.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AKay724

cool im going to pick up this game tomorrow at CompUSA i'll see you guys on XBL!
    AKay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked it up.

Meh. I have never liked the button-mashy feel of the DoA series. I'm not saying it is, but it just feels that way to me. It's probably because I suck at it.

It's still a fantastic looking game, and the controls are solid feeling. The collision detection is just awesome as well.

Foxtastical = Gamertag. I'm on usually getting my ass kicked.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    Picked it up.

Meh. I have never liked the button-mashy feel of the DoA series. I'm not saying it is, but it just feels that way to me. It's probably because I suck at it.
    I know what you mean, but button masher must be ware when taking on SS ranked fighters. But make no buts about it DOA4 is hard, brutally hard on Very Hard (not that i'd dare try that level). We shall have some interesting Matches Carey. Mark my words

So does any body like that the final battle makes sense storywise this time? The people who shouldn't be fighting Alpha-152 aren't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

DOA Online is a shitload of fun. I picked up the game on Friday evening, and played 10 straight hours that night. Played about five tonight and met tons of good people. I usually use Christie, but she's extremely cheap....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DoA4 is pretty fun... I don't think the game will be 'good' enough in competitive gamers eyes to be considered a tournament worthy game. The onlin aspect alone though is really cool.

I don't see this game making a huge splash in the competitive gaming circuit... ie EVOLUTION 2006. MLG maybe. I don't think it'll be there among the hardcore.

I'm having a lot of fun with it though, it's a good break from things until my arcade gets Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really impressed by DOA4, but it isn't without a few glaring faults. I find it frustrating at the 'cheapness' the A.I. shows at times, often throwing together a lethal series of juggles that make it nearly impossible to even throw a single punch (I'm looking at you, Alpha-152). These enemies are by no means unbeatable, but can be very frustrating for no good reason.

The other sizeable issue I have with the game is that from a graphical standpoint, I don't see it as that big of a jump from DOAU. The backgrounds are improved, but the visual effects don't seem to have changed much. The character models don't seem much better, either (Eliot looks particularly dull). The biggest offense graphically, though, is the animation for characters with long hair. Anyone with shoulder-length hair or shorter looks fine, but any character with longer hair looks downright awful. Perhaps this isn't as glaring on HDTV (in fact, I'm sure it isn't), but on my regular old TV it's quite noticable.

All in all, though...the game rocks. I love the environment-sensitive throws, the great selection of interesting characters, and a combat system that's as deep as you want it to be. A must-have for any 360 owner.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanhat
    The other sizeable issue I have with the game is that from a graphical standpoint, I don't see it as that big of a jump from DOAU. The backgrounds are improved, but the visual effects don't seem to have changed much. The character models don't seem much better, either (Eliot looks particularly dull). The biggest offense graphically, though, is the animation for characters with long hair. Anyone with shoulder-length hair or shorter looks fine, but any character with longer hair looks downright awful. Perhaps this isn't as glaring on HDTV (in fact, I'm sure it isn't), but on my regular old TV it's quite noticable.
    You really think the long hair looks bad? I mean i admit that close to the head it doesn't look all that great, but just watch how it flows over Kokoros shoulder's during the intro video. It looks real.

As for the graphical level i suggest you look at DOA4 next to DOAU. I did and 4 looks considerably better. Especially Hayabusa's ninja costume. The way the light shines off the leather is amazing.

And yeah Alpha-152 is cheap but she's still a shitload better then DOA3's boss.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    You really think the long hair looks bad? I mean i admit that close to the head it doesn't look all that great, but just watch how it flows over Kokoros shoulder's during the intro video. It looks real.
    Well yeah, the intro video looks amazing. I was referring more specifically to the in-game hair effects, which are far, far worse. At times, the characters' hairs seemed to split into several awkwardly flowing bunches, which looks...weird.

To be fair, though, I can say from first hand experience that hair (along with fabric, clothing and similar thin, flowing things) are ridiculously difficult to animate realistically, especially when it's being rendered in real-time as opposed to being part of a pre-rendered sequence. Perhaps my expectations were too high in spite of that.

And I'll have to try DOAU and DOA4 back to back. I'd be more than happy to be wrong about my previous analysis. :P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanhat
    Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Well yeah, the intro video looks amazing. I was referring more specifically to the in-game hair effects, which are far, far worse. At times, the characters' hairs seemed to split into several awkwardly flowing bunches, which looks...weird.

To be fair, though, I can say from first hand experience that hair (along with fabric, clothing and similar thin, flowing things) are ridiculously difficult to animate realistically, especially when it's being rendered in real-time as opposed to being part of a pre-rendered sequence. Perhaps my expectations were too high in spite of that.

And I'll have to try DOAU and DOA4 back to back. I'd be more than happy to be wrong about my previous analysis. :P
    Something else that's important that seems to be getting ignored now adays is Art Design. The characters look the way they look for a reason. Some people say that a lot of characters, particularly Kasumi and Ayane have almost a cartoon look to them, but this look is not because of graphical limitations, but because of a concisous choice.

Prehaps one of the reasons many people find the character's looking only mildly better then their DOAU (one of the most stunning and graphicly instensive games on the xbox) counter parts is because that's how the characters are ment to be.

It's really not the over all look that matters so much and the smoothness of animation, the lighting (look at Brad Wong and Jann Lee under Neon lights and you'll see what i mean) and the subtle detail to the textures. If you can get a close up of Baymans hat (the in game cutscenes appear to use the same assests as the during a fight) and you'll understand.

As we approach the realm of realistic graphics more and more games that choose to have a stylized look will be getting harsher and and harasher critiques for not looking, "that" impressive.

As for the hair i just played another 4 or so hours with a bunch of the characters and i still maintian that the long hair looks amazing in game. I personally haven't encountered any glitches like you have, but since the animation is handled by a physics routine any thing is possible. Physics can do strange things in games.

Honestly though after playing nearly 10 hours the only thing that really stands out to be as being a problem are the phantom punches.

I've only experienced it twice but i actually witnessed a move connect despite the fact that there was a reasonable size chunk of space between the two fighters. Gamefaqs, confirms that others have experienced this effect also.

It felt like Rumble in the Jungle all over again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is Kasumi sporting any sailor fuku in DOA4 ?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz
    So is Kasumi sporting any sailor fuku in DOA4 ?
    Would it be DOA if she didn't? :P Yeah it's there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

I'm having a good time with the game so far. The lack of outfits makes me long for DOAX2! The heightened difficulty is a plus, but I still wish the AI would actually switch outfits to vary things a bit. Niki should've been a playable character...

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I'm having a good time with this game, but being my introduction to the DOA series is probably not a good thing.

It's frustrating to a ridiculous extent. I think i've got a good enough grasp of the fighting engine to get through everyones story but it takes a long time to do so each time.

Online, I suck. I've done SO WELL that I've unlocked the "Lost 10 times in a row" achievement. Ugh

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I'm having a good time with this game, but being my introduction to the DOA series is probably not a good thing.

It's frustrating to a ridiculous extent. I think i've got a good enough grasp of the fighting engine to get through everyones story but it takes a long time to do so each time.

Online, I suck. I've done SO WELL that I've unlocked the "Lost 10 times in a row" achievement. Ugh
    I will come in time. I'm a series vetren and i'm still having a heel of a time adjusting to DOA4. Johnny_Rock even gave me the 5 losses in a row Acheivement.

But give it enough time and you'll be doing better.