Thread: Questions about a Building a Supergun

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Questions about a Building a Supergun

I've been looking into this some and I'm interested in trying this sometime in the future. I should start off by saying I really don't have any experience in electronics besides a little work I did in high school. I am willing to learn though. My father is also experienced in electronics, so I can get additional help from him. Plus, he has all the tools I would likely need for this project.

I do have a few questions. Does the supergun just provide the power for the board and the video output to the tv and does it provide any other functions besides those? I've heard some talk about RGB. Is that any different from Component? That's the best input I have on my tv.

I was wondering about the controls. Is there kind of standard for the control set? I was curious if any extra tweaking would have to be done if you were switching from a MVS board to a regular JAMMA board. Also, do most people just mod other systems' controllers for their superguns or do they make their own controls using arcade parts?

What is the typical housing for a supergun? An old pc case or what ever you can find? I found this old cable box on a walk and I was thinking of what it could be used for. There was also another box goes along with it. That could be used for the board. If you guys don't think those would be good for a supergun, I'm just going to get rid of them. They don't sell well on ebay. Here's a pic of one.

I was thinking about this because of what I've been hearing about getting Neo Geo stuff. There's no way I'll have the money for some of the better AES stuff any time soon. I also saw Radiant Silvergun for the arcade and was tempted.

I was wanting to know if there are any really good guides on building one of these. I haven't seen too many. I'm also not going to be able start this for awhile, but I was wanting to start some research. Thanks for any help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the link. I'll look through that. I did notice that two of the links aren't working fully anymore.

http://www.chads.arcade.btinternet.c...ergunIndex.htm
    Gives an error.
    http://dasfool.aroo.tv/
    I can't see anything dealing with a guide on that site. I wonder if someone else bought that address.