Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Blockbuster World Video Game Championships II *SOLD

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4th Survivor: I know who the private collector is. I will not name his name, but he is a very prominent collector of unreleased prototype and contest cart stuff, and he is not in the United States. He had a standind deal with the person that sold it to purchase it at that price awhile ago. There are 3 people that want that cart, myself, BuyAtari, and that private collector, and who basically were willing to pay a decent amount of cash. Said private collector has made many high end purchases either overpaying or underpaying for some of them.

This does not mean the cart is worth that much because one person paid that much for it. Prime example, a gray NWC for over $5K. Is it worth that much? Of course not. BUt when someone wants it bad enough, price can be named, same with anything. I sold a gold NWC for $6500 once, and I knew it was not worth that much, but the buyer wanted it bad enough, same with the private collector that purchased Blockbuster for $2500.

When there are only 2-3 people with this cartridge, and they are all being sold around the same time, it kind of makes you wonder....

Again, no one is denying the rarity of it, but unfortunately it's a precarious situation with the wrong types of games and the wrong system, hence why the interest is high, but to pay 100X for any other type of Genesis collectable is a bit asinine in my opinion.

You have known for quite some time I want this cart, but there is no way I would pay anything close to NWC prices....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

When you compare things you have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. You can't compare produced NES carts to known existing Sega carts.

I'd love to know the names of the 125 collectors who have NWC carts. You think every one ever made is accounted for? I'd say closer to 20-30 are known at this time. Way more then the Sega cart yes but now that people know about it more will turn up.

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As of 3/20/06, my complete copy of the Blockbuster World Video Game Championships II for the Sega Genesis has been SOLD.

I won't get into too many details about it, but the buyer of my copy now owns AT LEAST 2 copies of the BBWVGCII, making them the ONLY person in the world with not only a 'complete' copy (the set I just sold to them), but more than one cartridge to boot.

I'm sure that the private collector will be quite pleased when it arrives at their doorstep, considering I tossed in a lot of rare, video game related freebies. (I'm just a nice guy like that.) :P

Anyways............

You can now officially list the VALUE of the Blockbuster World Video Game Championship II cart from $2,300 - $2,800. How can I gauge this price? Because the private collector I sold it to paid me an amount that falls in between that range.

Joe, if you're reading this, perhaps it would be time to update the Online Rarity Guide?

The_4th_Survivor
    ©2008 Umbrella Corporation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Why would he buy two?

That doesn't change the price. Unless he plans on selling it to himself. Clearly he is the only one who thinks its worth that much. Thats enough for a grey NWC !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd personally give a fresh $10 bill for it!

Not to push any buttons, but I really do think that people who spend that kind of cash on "one of a kind" type games or items are just doing it to feel special. Nothing special about spending $2500 on a cartridge in my neck of the woods...just plain idiotic. But, again, that is only one man's opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG, he is trying to get a monopoly on Blockbuster carts! Someone phone the competiton police!!11!!
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And that person does not live in the USA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if someone bought two copies of this game for over 2000 each, that proves he is an idiot.

thats about it, it doesnt solidify any value, so i doubt the guides will be updated.

willie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_4th_Survivor
    You can now officially list the VALUE of the Blockbuster World Video Game Championship II cart from $2,300 - $2,800. How can I gauge this price? Because the private collector I sold it to paid me an amount that falls in between that range.
    Well I'd beg to differ. That's like saying if I found one of these at a Salvation Army for only $5, that we'd then have to change the value down to $5. That's not how it works. Price is determined by supply and demand, not just one person's willingness or ability to pay a certain price. So, unless you can account for every one of these and how much they were sold for, I would not set the going rate solely based upon one, even two, transaction(s).

Cherry (Level 1) The_Chosen_One's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    Quote Originally Posted by The_4th_Survivor
    Well I'd beg to differ. That's like saying if I found one of these at a Salvation Army for only $5, that we'd then have to change the value down to $5. That's not how it works. Price is determined by supply and demand, not just one person's willingness or ability to pay a certain price. So, unless you can account for every one of these and how much they were sold for, I would not set the going rate solely based upon one, even two, transaction(s).
    And with that in mind, I wonder how much The_4th_Survivor originally paid for it. Considering he is so interested in changing the price guide for it going by how much he sold it for, why don't you tell us how much you bought it for, and then maybe we can average that into the price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wberdan
    if someone bought two copies of this game for over 2000 each, that proves he is an idiot.

thats about it, it doesnt solidify any value, so i doubt the guides will be updated.

willie
    Nice - I was wondering if you were still here!

I'd have to agree.

Value guides are just that - guides. There needs to be a reasonable amount of buying and selling of an item to dictate a "guided" price for an item.

The sale of two of these (especially to the same person) is important to note, but doesn't mean that is the "value" of the item. Also, the average of the sales doesn't mean that's the value either.

For example, if I needed some quick money tomorrow, and sold one of these carts with a Buy-It-Now feature on eBay for $500, would that mean that the value of the cart is the average of the three sales?

Of course not. One sale, or even five sales should only provide a ballpark idea of what some collectors are willing to pay.

The 2600 is littered with this exact problem. The fact is, some folks have a lot of money to spend on things and some don't.

Usually, once those folks have their item, all that's left is us normal folk. When that happens, the price drops, because there's no one left to buy it at that higher price.

I wouldn't be surprised if that collector sold the first cart (the one without the documents.) However, this person may just be that kind of exception that wants to have two...

The worst example of a price guide is the one in the Video Game Collector magazine. I appreciate the attempt, but it isn't even close to reality.

Sorry, I digress...
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

As this was a behind the scenes deal how can you confirm so much money changed hands anyway? How do we know this isn't some scam to inflate the price that was actually paid so the guy with two copies can sell his them later at higher than normal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wberdan

willie
    By the sounds of it the guy is a big time collector, and not in the sence, that he has 500+ PS2 games or he has a complete PS1 collection, if the guy is dropping change like this on 2 of the same (rare) cart imagine what else he has? he's one of these rare collectors that only collects the UN-collectable! the Grails... People! the grails! Grrr..

So an idiot he's not..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    What you're all ignoring is that there are only 4 copies, at the maximum, known. I remember Blackjax saying he knew two people with one each. They have not surfaced, nor shown any proof, but let's count them.

When 50% of the copies change hands at a specific amount, those selling values have to be considered.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4th survivor seems to forget that said person is the ONLY one willing to pay that much for that game. Granted it is his right to "want" this said sum of money, but to be honest, the higher end collectors for Genesis will not pay more than $1500 for this cart, and that is pushing it. I have many one of a kind Genesis carts that I will not sell for less than $2000, but that's my right to not sell them unless I receive an offer of what it will take for it to come out of my grasps, and does not necessarily determine value.

It would take a substantial sum of money to take my last gold cart from my hands (NWC), but it's definitely not worth what I want....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there really is only 4 of these carts in existence, then this "special collector from overseas" is a very intelligent individual. His $2,000 investment could easily turn into $5000. He should try to somehow locate the other 2, and have all 4 of them. This might sound stupid, but only 4 collectors on the planet could have a "TRULY" complete Genesis collection if they happen to have one of those carts. Eventually, as the generations of kids who played Genesis get's older, there will be certain gamers that will become rather wealthy in other ventures and could start collecting Genesis games as a link to their past, and if they want to have a "truly" complete collection then they are going to have to cough up serious, serious dough for this thing.

To the original poster, don't you have pics of this cart? You said it was complete with all documentation, I imagine you have a number of pics of this, I would love to see some pics of this. I've never seen a pic of this anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cart has been sold is all you needed to say.

Why come here and brag about not only selling it for whatever price but that you included xxxxxcrap items for the buyer. Then you decide that the price of this cart is xxx because you made a few $. That's not how the guide works and thankfully so. Go show off somewhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    If there really is only 4 of these carts in existence, then this "special collector from overseas" is a very intelligent individual. His $2,000 investment could easily turn into $5000. He should try to somehow locate the other 2, and have all 4 of them. This might sound stupid, but only 4 collectors on the planet could have a "TRULY" complete Genesis collection if they happen to have one of those carts. Eventually, as the generations of kids who played Genesis get's older, there will be certain gamers that will become rather wealthy in other ventures and could start collecting Genesis games as a link to their past, and if they want to have a "truly" complete collection then they are going to have to cough up serious, serious dough for this thing.
    There's a significant difference between "only 4 in existence" and "4 currently known amongst collectors circles". Port mentioned another 2 unconformed copies above, and in all likelyhood there are more out there as yet unknown to us.

And all the talk about revising the DP value seems to overlook the fact that DP value ratings max out at $999 anyway

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anthony: he has posted pictures on previous threads. Also, a complete Genesis system is whatever you want it to be. You can go for complete licensed, complete unlicensed, or complete with competition carts or protos? Like I said before, I have many one of kind protos for Genesis, does that mean a Genesis collector needs those or they will not have a complete collection? Of course not.

Granted this is RARE, but so are many items that are just not going to have the same appeal or value unfrotunately.

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I was another interested party in this Blockbuster cart, but I would've topped out around the thousand mark. I think the part that irks everyone is how brash he comes off by bragging, first of all, and then stating the DP guide price should be changed because of one collector.

When I emailed him long ago about the cart, I received an email that attempted put into perspective why I should pay out the ass for it, comparing it to the NWC gold and Kizuna Encounters of the world. Well...everyone is right 4th_Survivor, it really doesn't depend how rare it is. IT'S ALL ABOUT DEMAND, and those other games you mentioned were and are in quite demand.

Educate all you want about the Blockbuster Championship cart, but its not going to induce enough nostalgia into the collectors to pay NWC gold prices.
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***