Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Default Knowledge Base Bounties!!!

I am offerring 500 meseta per question for submitted answers to any open questions. Right now we have a backlog of open questions, most of which none of us on the Knowledge Base Team can answer off the bat. So if you want to make some extra meseta, give them a shot. Just make sure that you include your real name and your DP handle in the article, so that I know who to credit.

Thanks!

Chris

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Bumping this one up. I know that there are some open questions that some people on DP can answer.

I will pay up to 1000 meseta depending on the complexity of the question/answer.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Here are the open questions as of now:
    • My super nintendo powers on but it does not show anything on the screen. Whats up with that?
    • I just bought my daughter a GBA and also a pink shell. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace a shell on the GBA SP? Is there a manual on how to do it out there somewhere? Thanks, Patrick
    • Having problem getting a original Sega CD (version 1.10 BIOS) working again. Initially it had problems with opening and closing the tray. I managed to open it up and get that part working good again. But the Sega CD tray will not stay closed and spin up a disk. I noticed two leaf switches inside. One to tell when the CD tray is fully opened and another I believe to indicate that it's closed. But as far as I can tell, the switch to indicate the tray is closed doesn't seem to be getting actuated. But I can't seem to locate where on the CD drive mech what is suppose to actuate this switch. Can someone help on this? Thanks, Glenn Atarifan49
    • My Vectrex makes an annoying buzzing sound when playing games, even with the volume turned down. Is there any way to silence this?
    • Where can I buy a replacement pin for the Top Loading NES?
    • hi , what type of spraypaint is the best to change the colour of my snes
    • [Arcade Cabinet] When I turn the machine on, there is sound and the game works, but theres no picture, whats up with that? Please help or let me know who I can contact to fix it.

Maybe it'll be easier if we can attack some of these together like a topic--you know, gung ho and stuff. Anyway, I think the arcade cab in the last question probably has a bad monitor cap, depending on how old it is. For the question about painting an SNES, I heard that vinyl dye works best; it soaks into the plastic and, well, dyes it. I've always wanted to try, but I already like the way my SNES looks.

I don't know how to turn my sparse knowledge into an article, but I'd like to help so I guess I can at least get the ball rolling. Anyone got any ideas?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Vectrex makes an annoying buzzing sound when playing games, even with the volume turned down. Is there any way to silence this?

I 'answered' this in the KB with a link a day-or-so ago....I guess it takes a little while to show up?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Logicdustbin
    My Vectrex makes an annoying buzzing sound when playing games, even with the volume turned down. Is there any way to silence this?

I 'answered' this in the KB with a link a day-or-so ago....I guess it takes a little while to show up?
    Nope. You can't just throw up a link as an answer to a question.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i say that krylon fusion would be best for paint a plastic console, with at least 2 coats of clear on top of it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    Well I can't take credit for someone else's words. The information is in the Vectrex FAQ if you want to paraphrase it.

And you can't ask an opened-ended question like "why doesn't my monitor work?" and expect a specific and concise answer. Aside from some basic reasons, you'll soon get into a component-level discussion (involving meters, soldering, etc.) that is dependent upon the make and model of the monitor in question. Randy Fromm has a set of flowcharts that cover most of the problems you'll run into, for most of the more popular monitors found. But chances are if it's not related to some of the reasons I mentioned, the person is likely better off contacting someone locally with more experience.
    I understand that you can't take credit for someone else's words. You can either cut and paste their words and credit them, or you can use the FAQ as one source from which you write your own article.

And as far as your second point, I agree. Open-ended questions like that are frustrating, and are better asked in the forum where they can be discussed interactively with the OP.

And I am still willing to give 1000 meseta for a write-up on that Vectrex question.

Chris

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERWEEDO
    i say that krylon fusion would be best for paint a plastic console, with at least 2 coats of clear on top of it.
    Thanks, I looked into the product and wrote up a short article. +250 meseta to you.

Chris

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My super nintendo powers on but it does not show anything on the screen. Whats up with that?
    I would think that this relates to either the games which you are using or the internal cartridge connector.

What I would recommend is, cleaning your games first, take the game, get a cotton bud (q-tip), dip the end of the q-tip into an alcohol solution (e.g. isopyopyl alcohol) - available at most chemists.

Rub one end of the q-tip all along the side of the game cartridges golden connector, then add a little more alcohol and repeat. You should of removed a load of black gunk and grime. Get the other end of the q-tip and repeat the same process for the other side of the cartridges golden connector.

You should also try cleaning the cartridge slot of the SNES, a lot of people "blow" into the cartridge slot and this can fix problems, but its not recommended as the moisture from your breath could get into your system - perhaps try a q-tip along the top of the SNES internal cartridge connector - using the same kind of technique as you did with the game cartridge.

After you've finished, make sure to leave a few minutes for games cartridges and SNES to fully dry (for safetys sake) and then try...

It is likely that your console and/or games are dirty, and the game cannot be read from the cartridge due to corrosion/dirt on the internal SNES connector / game cartridge and so you are just getting a black screen.

As a side note I bought a couple of SNES consoles on eBay advertised as faulty/broken, and when I first tried them they gave the black screen, but after cleaning the cartridge slot, they worked perfectly.

Hope this helps, whoever posted the question!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

answering a few now, just answered a vectrex question.
    You can donate the meseta to a random #vbender resident. I don't need it, i'm merely REALLY FUCKING BORED and at work.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by kamino
    answering a few now, just answered a vectrex question.
    You can donate the meseta to a random #vbender resident. I don't need it, i'm merely REALLY FUCKING BORED and at work.
    Like I posted above in this thread, you can't just post a link to another page or document as an answer to a question.

Come on guys, I am not going to pay someone 500 meseta to post:

Go to http://www.brokenshit.com/vectrex/st...ingbuzzing.pdf

That will tell you how to fix it.
    I am offering meseta to people who write articles. What ChaoticJelly wrote there a few posts up is perfect.

Thanks

Chris