Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody remember any details about the Atari VCS launch?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody remember any details about the Atari VCS launch?

Basically, I'm interested in hearing any details regarding the original launch of the Atari VCS or 2600. I got one for Xmas in 1977, and I was only 7 years old at the time, so I obviously really don't remember too many details about it.

But it's something that I've always been curious about, in terms of what games were actually available, how much it cost, how much the games cost, etc, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It initially cost $199. There were two launch titles (Combat and Air-Sea Battle), followed shortly by 7 more: Basic Math, Blackjack, Indy 500, Star Ship, Street Racer, Surround and Video Olympics.

I don't remember it either but, eh, you know, Google and stuff.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I just want to know how many people were camped outside of Zayre's stores waiting for the launch :P
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that I do remember about that Christmas, was when me and my brother opened up that big box. Man, we were in for the suprise of our lives that night. We got the thing hooked up, and we were playing Combat till about midnight. I remember Air-Sea Battle too. Other games we had were Home Run, Football, Outlaw, Indy 500, Night Driver, etc, etc.

Another memory I have is a memory of me and my dad waiting in line for Long's Drugs to open. The occasion was the release of Space Invaders for the 2600. That was a huge game release at that time. It's really funny to think that we actually would buy our games at Long's Drugs. They haven't sold Video Games probably since the crash of the early 80's. Missle Command was a big deal when that game first came out. Same thing with Pac Man. Pac Man was actually a really big deal when that came out. I know that looking back, it was a pretty damn horrible version of Pac Man, but damn, I played the crap out of that game.

One thing that I need to do, is to look back in my moms old photo albums and see if there was any pictures of me and my brother playing the Atari 2600. Or maybe a picture from that Xmas of us actually opening that box and then having an absolutely huge smile on our faces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    It initially cost $199. There were two launch titles (Combat and Air-Sea Battle), followed shortly by 7 more: Basic Math, Blackjack, Indy 500, Star Ship, Street Racer, Surround and Video Olympics.

I don't remember it either but, eh, you know, Google and stuff.
    I thought it was like $249 initially. Huh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    One thing that I do remember about that Christmas, was when me and my brother opened up that big box. Man, we were in for the suprise of our lives that night. We got the thing hooked up, and we were playing Combat till about midnight. I remember Air-Sea Battle too. Other games we had were Home Run, Football, Outlaw, Indy 500, Night Driver, etc, etc.

Another memory I have is a memory of me and my dad waiting in line for Long's Drugs to open. The occasion was the release of Space Invaders for the 2600. That was a huge game release at that time. It's really funny to think that we actually would buy our games at Long's Drugs. They haven't sold Video Games probably since the crash of the early 80's. Missle Command was a big deal when that game first came out. Same thing with Pac Man. Pac Man was actually a really big deal when that came out. I know that looking back, it was a pretty damn horrible version of Pac Man, but damn, I played the crap out of that game.

One thing that I need to do, is to look back in my moms old photo albums and see if there was any pictures of me and my brother playing the Atari 2600. Or maybe a picture from that Xmas of us actually opening that box and then having an absolutely huge smile on our faces.
    I don't remember the actual launch. I was only 5. And we got an Odyssey 2 in 1978. The Atari came in 1981 after I found out they were getting the 'official' Pac-Man.

I do remember going to Eckerd Drugs to get Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Defender after they were released. I also bought 99% of my entex handhelds, there. It's so weird that when I wanted a new game back in the VCS days, our friggin DRUG STORE had the best selection. I also remember when the first shipment of Activision games arrived. I pitched a fit for Laser Blast.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    There were two launch titles (Combat and Air-Sea Battle), followed shortly by 7 more: Basic Math, Blackjack, Indy 500, Star Ship, Street Racer, Surround and Video Olympics.
    Are any of those still worth playing? Combat & Indy 500. That's about it.

How much did they cost?

Today's kids are spoiled--- my Atari gobbled up days of my summer but today's kids would be bored after only 5 minutes. 'Course mom used to say the same about me- "You got that fancy Atari. We had nothing but a dog on a string. And no tv!"

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, the way I understand it (I was only 3 in '77) the VCS wasn't much of a hit and almost got canned. I believe it was the sale to Warner Bros. and the subsequent release of Space Invaders that "made" the system.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Space Invaders = Christmas 1979 right?

For two years VCS lay dormant.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did a little bit of research, and this is what I've been able to come up with so far. Please correct me if any of this is off base.

1. It launched in October 1977. It included 2 controllers, 2 pad controllers, a RF switch and the game Combat.
    2. The launch price was $199.99 (I've also seen the launch price being $249.99)
    3. It was originally titled the Atari VCS (Video Computer System).
    4. 9 titles launched with the system.
    5. The first 9 games were: Air-Sea Battle, Basic Math, Blackjack, Combat, Indy 500, Star Ship, Street Racer, Surround and Video Olympics
    6. In 1977, Atari sold 250,000 VCS systems. (I'm skeptical on whether this is accurate or not)
    7. In 1978, 550,000 units were sold from a production run of 800,000 (again, not sure if these numbers are accurate)
    8. In 1979, the Atari VCS sold 1 million units, and was considered the must have christmas gift. (not sure if this is accurate)
    9. Space Invaders came out in May of 1980. (one site says it was released January 1980)
    10. Space Invaders grossed more than 100 million in sales
    11. Rick Mauer, the programmer for Space Invaders on the VCS was paid only $11,000 for his work on the game and received no recognition.
    12. 2 million VCS systems sold in 1980.
    13. Atari grossed more than 2 billion in profits in 1980 (no way, two freaking billion back in 1980? That's kinda hard for me to believe)
    14. 4 million VCS systems sold in 1981
    15. The name "Atari 2600" was first used in 1982, following the release of the Atari 5200.

I honestly don't know how much of this information is correct or not.

By the way, I still haven't seen anything regarding the prices of the games, or anything like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    It's so weird that when I wanted a new game back in the VCS days, our friggin DRUG STORE had the best selection.
    Y'know, after I read this thread earlier I started to remember that my family bought some games at different drug stores. It's just surprising they had better selections than the big stores. They also had the best toys, too.

Anthony1: I can't remember how much games were at launch but I can recall a drug store selling games for $19.99 in like 1982 or 1983. I remember this clearly because I had just gotten a gift of $20 from my grandparents and I was told that I shouldn't "just blow it on one thing". So I bought M Network's Space Battle for $9.99 (on clearance from $19.99) and a GI Joe Cobra single pilot helicopter, also for $9.99. Such a smart spender I was

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Space Invaders came out in January of 1980, then we got our Atari VCS in December of that year. At that time it was 149.99, either my dad told me that, or that's how much it was in the Sears catalog (I pored over that thing after we got the Atari). The first game I bought by myself after that (we also got Combat, Human Cannonball, and Sky Diver that Christmas) was Adventure. I paid either 19.99 or 24.99 for that, I believe at Consumers, which was right next door to Tiny Tots at the mall where my mom did her grocery shopping. I got all my games from those two stores, save for two, which I got for 9.99 each at Atari Headquarters in Somerset NJ. :P I also remember paying 37 dollars for Pac-Man at Tiny Tots when that came out. It was bad, but we didn't know that then, and we played the hell out of it too. Same with E.T., but I borrowed that from a friend.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I did a little bit of research, and this is what I've been able to come up with so far. Please correct me if any of this is off base.

1. It launched in October 1977. It included 2 controllers, 2 pad controllers, a RF switch and the game Combat.
    2. The launch price was $199.99 (I've also seen the launch price being $249.99)
    3. It was originally titled the Atari VCS (Video Computer System).
    4. 9 titles launched with the system.
    5. The first 9 games were: Air-Sea Battle, Basic Math, Blackjack, Combat, Indy 500, Star Ship, Street Racer, Surround and Video Olympics
    6. In 1977, Atari sold 250,000 VCS systems. (I'm skeptical on whether this is accurate or not)
    7. In 1978, 550,000 units were sold from a production run of 800,000 (again, not sure if these numbers are accurate)
    8. In 1979, the Atari VCS sold 1 million units, and was considered the must have christmas gift. (not sure if this is accurate)
    9. Space Invaders came out in May of 1980. (one site says it was released January 1980)
    10. Space Invaders grossed more than 100 million in sales
    11. Rick Mauer, the programmer for Space Invaders on the VCS was paid only $11,000 for his work on the game and received no recognition.
    12. 2 million VCS systems sold in 1980.
    13. Atari grossed more than 2 billion in profits in 1980 (no way, two freaking billion back in 1980? That's kinda hard for me to believe)
    14. 4 million VCS systems sold in 1981
    15. The name "Atari 2600" was first used in 1982, following the release of the Atari 5200.

I honestly don't know how much of this information is correct or not.

By the way, I still haven't seen anything regarding the prices of the games, or anything like that.
    Actually, I'm almost positive it was '81 when they earned the 2 billion. I think it was the year before the company crashed and burned. In 81, the arcade took off, you had Space Invaders and Asteroids released that year on top of Atari's Coin-op section. Yeah, Atari was supposedly the fastest growing company in the world between 80-82.

As for release date software costs, I've read they ranged everywhere from $29-$49. I was looking at scans of an old 1979 Sears Wish Book the other day, and the game prices then were between $29-$39.

And it supposedly only cost Atari 10 cents to manufacture a cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

It's hard to think of the world's introduction to the 2600 in terms of having a "launch". As far as I can recall (being born in 1970) it probably just showed up in the retail outlets and people started buying it. I can't imagine anyone in 1977 standing all night outside of Sears queued up to buy the thing. The gestalt for that sort of behavior simply wasn't there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Here's a link to those 1979 Sears Catalog Scans I mentioned earlier, BTW....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishboo...n/set-1360453/

You may/may not have seen these before. If not, the Sears Catalog is a good reference, believe it or not...

The Atari/Sears 'video arcade', which later became the Tele-Games brand. It was $154. Keep going... Sears also has an Atari 400 advertised in the catalog.

I was wrong on the prices... They were $19-$39.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

THE VIDEOGAMES: HOW THEY RATE
    By Bill Kunkel and Arnie Katz
    1746 words
    21 November 1981
    The New York Times
    Late City Final Edition
    English
    Copyright 1981 The New York Times Company. All Rights Reserved.
    The following article was compiled by Bill Kunkel and Arnie Katz, who are, respectively, executive editor and co-publisher/editor of Electronic Games magazine and write the ''Arcade Alley'' column for Video magazine.

''I want to buy one of those programmable videogames. Which one is the best?'' We hear that question often these days. After all, more than two million families have bought programmable videogames - systems that offer a variety of television game programs on memory cartridges - this year and three million more are expected to do so in 1982.

Recruits to what is now America's fastest-growing hobby are confronted with quite an array of hardware and software. The high quality of most of the equipment makes the selection even harder. There are five programmable game machines on the market, each with strengths that make it a good choice in certain situations.

The systems all attach to the back of any television set through an adaptor screwed into the VHF aerial terminals. Each game comes with instructions for attachment.

To help you pick the appropriate system, each will be reviewed in turn. And since the games themselves are the most important factor, specific cartridges are recommended to help the new owner get started.

Atari VCS/Atari division of Warner Communications/Suggested retail price: $199.95/Number of game cartridges: 45, ranging from $20 to $35.

The Atari Video Computer System is No. 1 in sales and brand recognition. The company that marketed the first commercially successful coin-operated videogame, Pong, a decade ago, remains in the forefront of both the commercial and home fields.

The VCS's secret weapon, in fact, is Atari's strong coin-operated division. The company generally capitalizes on the success of its quarter-snatchers by putting out home editions. VCS owners were the first to revel in the delights of such coin-operated hits as Asteroids and Missile Command.

Atari's familiarity with the commercial arcade also helps the company keep abreast of what other manufacturers are doing there. As a result, the Sunnyvale, Calif., giant has already licensed such popular arcade titles as Defender, Pac-Man and Galaxian for translation to home videogame cartridges.

The VCS's forte is arcade-style contests: games that rely heavily on speed and hand-eye coordination rather than strategy. Videogame versions of such programs as Breakout and Missile Command boast the lightning play-action that arcaders will recognize. A recent technological breakthrough that allows the VCS to handle programs of twice the normal length and complexity promises even more exciting software.

Another strength is the number of the games available. In addition to the arcade games, other games, which account for roughly half the titles, include versions of chess, backgammon, checkers, slot machine, basketball, football and baseball. Games are equally suitable for adults and children; up to four can play.

Players who expect to play video games alone most of the time should give serious consideration to the Atari VCS. Many cartridges offer solitaire options for when opponents are scarce.

Recommended cartridges: Space Invaders. This quintessential videogame, in its original coin-operated form, helped inspire today's electronic gaming boom. This one- or two-player game, while easy to understand, is challenging.

Superman. As the ''Man of Steel,'' players pursue Lex Luthor and his gang, who have just destroyed the Metropolis Bridge. Features include a pesky helicopter, kryptonite, X-ray vision and even Lois Lane. This is a solitaire game played against the clock. The challenge is in performing a number of tasks efficiently. Graphics are excellent.

Missile Command. Graphics, sound and simulated action are all superb. One or two players in this high-speed game defend six cities from rocket attack.

Air-Sea Battle. This vintage cartridge offers a variety of shooting-gallery fun with a military motif. One or two can play.

Activision, founded in 1980, is the first company to specialize in videogame software. Producing no system of its own, it markets a range of game cartridges usable with the Atari VCS. Most titles, suitable for adults or children, offer straightforward play-action dressed up with charming graphics. Twelve, ranging from $20 to $35, are available.

Recommended cartridges : Kaboom! A mad bomber drops explosives from the top of a wall and the player attempts to catch them in horizontally mobile water buckets. Fast paced; one or two can play.

Tennis. One of the few tennis games available, it realistically duplicates the strategies of an actual game and creates an excellent illusion of depth; the ball even casts a shadow as it flies back and forth across the net. One or two can play.

Odyssey2/North American Phillips/Suggested retail price: $199.95/ Number of cartridges: 28, ranging from $20 to $49.95. The original Odyssey, from Magnavox, was the first home videogame, but marketing blunders accentuated by a corporate sales slump doomed the revolutionary device before it got started. Over the last decade, however, Magnavox has produced a succession of machines culminating in the programmable Odyssey2.

The system has long struggled to develop a distinctive identity in a sometimes fickle marketplace. Recent software releases, however, show a firm hand. Company designers are finally making use of Odyssey2's biggest advantage over rival systems: It has a full touchtype keyboard, which allows the player greater flexibility in ''talking to'' the computer that controls the game.

A ''Master Strategy Series'' capitalizes on this ability. At the same time, arcade-style cartridges recently produced for the Odyssey2 allow high scorers to type their names onto the screen next to their score, just as they do in the amusement centers.

There are also excellent versions of baseball, golf and other sports. Odyssey2's balance of sports, arcade and strategy software titles offers something for every age group.

Recommended cartridges: Baseball. This early game has aged well, thanks to realistic playaction and attractive graphics. A two-player game, superior to Atari's but without the better graphics and realistic features of Intellivision.

Blockout/Breakdown. This whimsical variation of the traditional hit-the-bricks game gives the player a rare opportunity to rebuild walls as well as knock them down. Little demons perform the construction chores. A combination speed and strategy game for one or two players.

UFO. The action never stops in this solitaire arcade-style game that lets the player, in command of a space cruiser, battle three types of hostile unidentified flying objects.

Quest for the Rings. This boardg@ame/videogame hybrid sends two players on a quest to retrieve mystic rings hidden in the labyrinths beneath forbidding castles. One, two or three can play this sophisticated action/ strategy combination.

Intellivision/Mattel Electronics/ Suggested retail price: $299.95/Number of cartridges: 15, ranging from $24.95 to $34.95. The Master Component is the only piece Mattel has introduced so far of its modular computer system, which eventually will include keyboard and cassette. The final system will be an authentic personal computer/game system, but meanwhile, gamers don't mind all that much since it's a fine home arcade as it stands.

Team sports, such as baseball, football and soccer, are a specialty. Intellivision's detailed design gives coaches a surprising degree of control over the electronic athletes.

Mattel is trying to enhance its line's appeal by adding new action games such as Astrosmash, but slower on-screen movement makes such efforts only partly successful. However, those who enjoy simulated sports and head-to-head competition should definitely consider Intellivision despite its higher price. The system may be advanced for some children.

Recommended cartridges: Space Battle. This title blends a strategic overview with a rousing ship vs. ship combat game. Alien craft take evasive action and return fire.

Auto Racing. The two-player version isn't very inspiring, but racing solo against the clock provides plenty of thrills. A variety of cars and courses test all levels of driver skill.

NASL Soccer. The horizontally scrolling playfield makes this one of the best sports simulations. The action has the same fluid, seesaw quality as the real thing.

Bally Professional Arcade/Astrovision/Suggested retail price: $299.95/ Number of cartridges: approximately 25, ranging from $24.95 to $39.95.

Astrovision is attempting to breathe fresh life into the system it bought from the Bally Manufacturer Company about a year ago. The jury is still out. Once the new owner convinces arcaders that it is making a long-range commitment to regularly producing new games, this will probably become a serious competitor to the Intellivision. Existing games include excellent sports and arcade contests.

Channel F/Zircon/Suggested retail price: $99.95/Number of cartridges: 24, ranging from $18.95 to $29.95. Like the Professional Arcade, this is also a recent revival of a system previously withdrawn from the market. It was the first programmable videogame system when Fairchild Electronics introduced it, but newer machines have graphics that the Channel F just can't match. Still, its low price - and decent variety of games -makes it a good possibility for those on tight budgets.

Zircon, which now makes and distributes Channel F, promises new software on a regular basis. Sports and arcade games available include whizball, slot machine and football.

The future of programmable videogames looks rosy, so there ought to be a steady supply of new games for whichever system is chosen. The coming year will probably see several additional companies get into the software business, further widening the games available. One, Imagics, has already announced that it will soon produce the first of many new cartridges for the Atari VCS and Mattel Intellivision systems. Several of the big-name toy and game companies as well are rumored to be planning to market videogame cartridges in 1982.

It is unlikely that many entirely new systems will appear, however. With so many fine machines, all backed already by large software libraries, the cost of entry will probably dissuade all but the most stouthearted. Mego, for instance, has put its previously announced system back on the shelf after surveying the competition.

One exception is Atari, which will market a supervideogame system sometime next year. Priced competitively with Intellivision and Bally Professional Arcade, the new unit is expected to concentrate on extremely faithful versions of the most popular arcade games.

Illustrations: photo of Odyssey's keyboard photo of Atari's chess game photo of Activision tennis photo of Intellivision console
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FANTASTIC READ.

A great snaphot in time. Very little has changed. I can remember reading about Missile Command and Space Invaders advanced graphics. back in the day.

Little has changed IMO.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah that'd be very interesting to know if anyone kamped out overnight for that system or any of the classic systems but i have a feeling that people probably started kaming outside overnight at playstation 1 release but I might be wrong Id be interested in hearing about that !!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh..

I was 3 when the 2600 was released, so I can't speak for it's "launch", but the first time I ever witnessed any sort of fanatical system launch behavior would have been the SNES. That was mild--no overnight camping, no scalping, etc. Just a slightly increased interest in making sure you had one.

The first system I ever bothered to even pre-order was the Dreamcast. Prior to that, I just bought systems off the shelves. N64 showed the world how to milk a "shortage" (although Nintendo had been honing that technique for years with certain games), and every system that has come afterward has had the "launch shortage" specter looming over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look man no one unless they worked for them remembers "the launch". I'm nearing 40 and all I know is at the time, I was on a year long quest with my mom to find Space Invaders for the home. And when I saw it at Sears I figured it was close enough..or at least closer than the electromechanical handhelds and electronic ones I kept finding.

Anyway I didn't care nor know if it was on Atari, or Odyssey, or Bally or what. They all seemed the same to me at the time :P It was just "tv videogames" a lot more advanced than our Coleco Colortron pong, but still obviously not as high tech as games in the arcade which I loved.

Times were different in the 70's. No 0-second news, no videogame anticipation, whatever. You went into a store and if was there, you saw it. That's all there was to it.