Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strider for the Genesis PIC ADDED page 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strider for the Genesis PIC ADDED page 2

I picked up a complete copy of this over the weekend and the back of the box is in multiple languages. It has 1 paragraph in english and then the same paragraph is repeated in French, Italian, etc...

Is this normal for Strider on the Genesis?
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

No. At least not that I've ever seen. Does it have the Genesis logo on the front, or does it say Mega Drive? It sounds like the PAL version to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I guess it is the PAL version then. Thanks so much, I am still new actually collecting. I guess that means PAL versions play fine on U.S. systems?

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dskillz
    I guess that means PAL versions play fine on U.S. systems?
    Most early games (pre-'93) are universal, but later ones are often region-locked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome, thank you so much for the information, that will help alot with future shopping.

So, does that make it any rarer?

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dskillz
    Awesome, thank you so much for the information, that will help alot with future shopping.

So, does that make it any rarer?
    No

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's interesting, I have a similar Strider story. I picked up a copy of it loose and I noticed there was a sticker underneath the sticker showing on the cartrige. Well curiousity may have killed this cat but I got started on peeling away the top sticker. While the top sticker says Strider 2 and it's a US version the sticker underneath is for Strider 1 and it says Mega Drive. I've played the game and it's Strider 2. So i don't know what to make of the whole situation.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's interesting, I have a similar Strider story. I picked up a copy of it loose and I noticed there was a sticker underneath the sticker showing on the cartrige. Well curiousity may have killed this cat but I got started on peeling away the top sticker. While the top sticker says Strider 2 and it's a US version the sticker underneath is for Strider 1 and it says Mega Drive. I've played the game and it's Strider 2. So i don't know what to make of the whole situation.
    Hmmm...maybe they just recycled excess Strider 1 carts for the Strider 2 release.

As for this thread, it definitely sounds PAL, since North American releases at MOST would probably only have English, Spanish and French. But, I could be wrong. If not PAL, Canadian?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Hmmm...maybe they just recycled excess Strider 1 carts for the Strider 2 release.
    Possible, although Strider 1 was published by Sega while Strider 2 was by US Gold :/

As for this thread, it definitely sounds PAL, since North American releases at MOST would probably only have English, Spanish and French. But, I could be wrong. If not PAL, Canadian?
    Yeah, chances are it's PAL.
    Does the box say "Mega Drive" or "Genesis"? European games will have a Mega Drive logo and between 5 & 8 languages on the back, while Canadian releases have a Genesis logo and just English/French packaging.
    Then again, it's entirely possible that some Euro titles were imported to Canada rather than go to the hassle of printing up exclusive Canadian covers (as happened with several SMS games).

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Quote Originally Posted by Ulticron
    Strange, I have a similar problem with the PS1 version. When I put in the Strider 1 disc it is actually Strider 2 and vice versa. I wonder if there is any connection between these two similar sounding problems.

I know I know but it just reminded me.....
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

I lost an Ebay bidwar for Strider and Forgotten Worlds (both complete) for Genesis, but I decided to give both games another run, this time only Strider is complete, FW isn't but at this point I just want to get my hands on them, to complement my Genesis Ghouls N Ghosts complete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it isn't a US version then it is probably Canadian. Most of the early Genesis games were sold the way you describe in Canada, much like the Master System games released here. I had a Herzog Zwei that also had an "international" case and manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it isn't a US version then it is probably Canadian. Most of the early Genesis games were sold the way you describe in Canada, much like the Master System games released here. I had a Herzog Zwei that also had an "international" case and manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

No multi-language package for my US Strider but it still have the Babbage's $69.99 price sticker...ouch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm
    No multi-language package for my US Strider but it still have the Babbage's $69.99 price sticker...ouch!
    I guess I was lucky. I paid $59.99 Canadian for the Japanese import in 1990.

And the whole multi-language package thing confused me back in the SMS days. I thought it was odd that half my games were all English and half had several languages.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Possible, although Strider 1 was published by Sega while Strider 2 was by US Gold :/
    Yeah, but all licensed Genesis carts at that time were manufactured by Sega, regardless of publisher. So I guess it really is possible...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the import too, I just couldn't wait.
    The worst thing about the international Genesis games were the manuals. Instead of having a section for each language, there were six languages on every 2-page spread.
    They were also printed sideways, making them really floppy.

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember the hype behind that game when it first came out. It was supposed to be the most amazing console game ever, up to that point. They really pushed that is was the first 8 meg (I think) home cart.

Needless to say, I put it tops on my list, but when I saw the $70 price tag, I said "No thank you," and rented it instead. It was glorious. Truly one of the "best games of its time" and deserving of its spot on EGM's list.

I still remember to this day, in vivid detail, sliding down the side of that snow covered mountain. Amazing... I picked up a copy a few months back. And it only cost me $7 complete/mint. Or 1/10th of what I almost paid 16 years ago. I'll have to plug it in this weekend.
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by ManciGames
    I remember the hype behind that game when it first came out. It was supposed to be the most amazing console game ever, up to that point. They really pushed that is was the first 8 meg (I think) home cart.

Needless to say, I put it tops on my list, but when I saw the $70 price tag, I said "No thank you," and rented it instead. It was glorious. Truly one of the "best games of its time" and deserving of its spot on EGM's list.

I still remember to this day, in vivid detail, sliding down the side of that snow covered mountain. Amazing... I picked up a copy a few months back. And it only cost me $7 complete/mint. Or 1/10th of what I almost paid 16 years ago. I'll have to plug it in this weekend.
    I'm in total agreement. Strider is a masterpiece, and if you compare it to the Arcade version, it's shocking how close of a port it was. Aside from some aesthetic differences (and those awesome voices in the cut scenes), they play identically. I also payed the $70 for it back then.

That snowy mountain jump is infamous. You bring this game up to people and 90% of them will say that's the thing they remember about it.

"Sons of Old Gods--DIE!"

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    That snowy mountain jump is infamous. You bring this game up to people and 90% of them will say that's the thing they remember about it.

"Sons of Old Gods--DIE!"
    You know, it's funny you say that, because I don't remember much else about it in detail. I remember being amazed by it. By the gameplay. The graphics. The sound and music. But, I don't think I could name another level if my life depended on it.

As an aside. I just put some Controversy on right before I hit DP. It's playing as I type this. And I just noticed your avatar. Nice.
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com