Thread: Which Atari????

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which Atari????

Ive been lookink at many ataris for a while now and i was wondering in your opinions which would be the best to get out of the 2600,5200,and 7800.Or should I just put my money into a ColecoVision?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

The coleco is sweet but the 2600 has the biggest library. The 5200 controllers suck.

I would probably go with the 7800 as it plays the 2600 games as well as the 7800 games. Just makes it easier.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I personally would go for one of their home computers (already have a 2600, never play the games though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Or.. he could buy a Colecovision and get the 2600 adapter for it. Best of both worlds!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

For the simple retro factor...2600.

If you just want to play some old games...get the 7800 for reasons already stated above.

The 5200 is a very rewarding system to play if you're willing to invest some time into maintenance (or refurbed controllers).

Colecovision is becoming harder to find, though, and is a good investment from a collection standpoint as well as being a very fun system to play.

Or if you're just a hardware nut (like me)...get one of each.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well let's lay out the details. The 2600 was definitely the most popular and had the biggest library. No doubt about it. It was Atari at its height. Atari just went downhill from thereonafter. The 5200 controllers were like the Chrysler car of the video game accessory universe. You get what I mean. BUT if you really want a 5200 you can go have your 5200 controller fixed at oldschoolgamer.ca. He does good work, and you won't have any problems with your 5200 controller again. Now the library was a lot smaller than the 2600 but gragraphically better. If you want to play 2600 games on your 5200 then you will need an adaptor. BUT for the adaptor to work you need a 2 port 5200 system as there also is a 4 port. If you get a 4 port the 2600 adaptor will not work without a modification on the system. Now the 7800 was the same generation as the NES and I believe was also 8 bits. With this system you can play 2600 games on the console right off the bat without any adaptor. So now I hope you have enough info in choosing between the 3. And if you choose the Colecovision you can get an adaptor for it to play 2600 games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default thanx

u really explained it well thank u.ill have no prob now.i just need to find a good,honorable site to buy 1.

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the games on the Atari 8-bit computers but that's mainly for nostalga reasons (I played games on the Atari 400 before I played any 2600 games - strangely enough). The graphics is better and the gameplay - on some games - is better too.

However, if you haven't played either before then I would go for the Atari 2600. The consoles and games are cheaper and easier to get. The 2600 also has a lot more titles. You can go to just about any retro-game store and find VCS titles. Good luck on finding Atari 8-bit titles in the wild.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I went with a 7800; no regrets. Do bear in mind, however, that I think some of the propietary 2600 carts manufactured by 3rd party developers (specifically Imagic, apparently) won't work on a 7800 because the carts simply don't fit in the port. I have yet to have a 2600 game to not work for me on it though, but the only really wacko carts I have are from Gottleib and Fox Games, so I haven't tried everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: thanx

Quote Originally Posted by KillaRob
    u really explained it well thank u.ill have no prob now.i just need to find a good,honorable site to buy 1.
    You're in luck -- you're posting on one! Be sure to check out our own Buying and Selling forums. 7800 systems (and anything else a gamer could want) pass through our doorway on a regular basis!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well there's ebay of course. But if you want an online store, the best place would probably be www.4jays.net

There's also this store locally here www.hiscoregames.com They don't sell stuff on their site so you may just want to call the phone number of their stores on the site or email them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMajenta
    Well there's ebay of course. But if you want an online store, the best place would probably be www.4jays.net

There's also this store locally here www.hiscoregames.com They don't sell stuff on their site so you may just want to call the phone number of their stores on the site or email them.
    To bad that Hi-Score has way to high of prices on systems. Their cart prices are pretty good though and they have a great selection.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMajenta

To bad that Hi-Score has way to high of prices on systems. Their cart prices are pretty good though and they have a great selection.
    Yeah I noticed that eveytime I'm there. I omly bought a Neo Fami system from them which was pretty much reasonable compared to other stores out there. Other than that I bought either games or accessories. When I go to their store at Stillwater and John's the one in the store I always try to get a discount if I buy several stuff and he gives it to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I visited their Maplewood Mall "store" last night after seeing the info here. I thought they'd have an actual store, that they'd moved into the corner where EB Games was (across from Suncoast.) It's actually a little cart/kiosk, so small my wife & I EACH missed it as we walked past. (Their website needs a bit more work/info & didnt say it was a "cart.")Some of the prices were just plain too high- IIRC no PS, PS2, SNES, or Genesis game I saw was priced lower than $7.

KISS Pinball (PS)- $7
    GunGriffon Blaze(PS2)- $19 (my wife found it for me/Xmas for $6- she still had the receipt w/ her!)
    Super CV IV (SNES) loose- $24 ???

Most PS2 games were $10, which is reasonable, I guess. I imagine their best stuff stays at their actual store locations, which I've been to. The clerk agreed they should have an actual mall store, but "John" refuses to move in.

Do they have to move their cart/stuff out of the mall at night? & why did the clerk look so familiar- was he a dead ringer for the guy on "Players" who would go to celeb's houses & "help" them play games?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    I visited their Maplewood Mall "store" last night after seeing the info here. I thought they'd have an actual store, that they'd moved into the corner where EB Games was (across from Suncoast.) It's actually a little cart/kiosk, so small my wife & I EACH missed it as we walked past. (Their website needs a bit more work/info & didnt say it was a "cart.")Some of the prices were just plain too high- IIRC no PS, PS2, SNES, or Genesis game I saw was priced lower than $7.

KISS Pinball (PS)- $7
    GunGriffon Blaze(PS2)- $19 (my wife found it for me/Xmas for $6- she still had the receipt w/ her!)
    Super CV IV (SNES) loose- $24 ???

Most PS2 games were $10, which is reasonable, I guess. I imagine their best stuff stays at their actual store locations, which I've been to. The clerk agreed they should have an actual mall store, but "John" refuses to move in.

Do they have to move their cart/stuff out of the mall at night? & why did the clerk look so familiar- was he a dead ringer for the guy on "Players" who would go to celeb's houses & "help" them play games?
    Yeah they could have one really huge store where they could just put all their stuff to cut down on overhead kind of like Game Dude in North Hollywood (the store's size is just freakin huge). As far as their stuff is concerned it seems like the Stillwater store has the most diverse stuff followed by their Century Avenue store. As far as their prices goes, all you have to do is go to Sam Goody at the other end of the mall where they're still selling quite a few brand new PS2 and XBOX games for $8.99