Thread: Backwards Compatibility: Double Edged Sword?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Default Backwards Compatibility: Double Edged Sword?

I was thinking the other day, this is really unprecidented.

A system two generations strong of backwards compatible games. Yes, I am aware of the existance of the gameboy/color/advance, but thats a much different story imo.

The PS1 has some truley great games, games that may very well age finely (The Final Fantasy Series, SotN, Power Shovel) as well as mountains of crap, as does any system. The PS2 also has some incredible games, games im sure will also age well, but thats not my point.

This is going to suck for Retail gaming outlets, especially preowned-dependant stores (GS, GC, EB). Think about this for a second, how many bins full of bargain PS1 games do we see now? All of these Black disks that often go for $14.99 or much less. PS2 games as well are reaching the point where the most successful games can be had for under $10 in most cases.

What do you think is going to happen? How long will we see games that came out in 1996 sitting stagnant on store shelves? (my apologies for that alliteration) I can only imagine what these next few years are going to be like for the poor soulss that have to count inventory for Gamestop's "Assembled Playstation" section.

On the other hand, maybe Ill find a few Gems and hard to find games for a fraction of thier value!

Oh, this was initially going to be in the "The Next Gen Starts..." thread, but I didnt want to jack it. Sorry if this topic is deemed unnessecary, if so delete away!

Thoughts?
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They will stock them as long as they feel they can make money selling them. I somehow doubt the lasting power PSX titles have had is just because the PS2 was backwards compatible.

And your worried about store employees having work to do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Heh, Im hardly worried for them. Ive worked for Babbages, Im simply saying its going to suck.

99% of em deserve it anyway if you ask me.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Gamestop and all the other stores like them want to stop selling PS games they'll simply do it, same goes for PS2. When they feel it's more trouble than profit they'll quit. They've already weeded out almost all of their NES, SNES, Genny, and Dreamcast inventory. I can find handfulls of some of those games but not massive ammounts. Eventually it will all be gone.

The person that's cutting themselves on this double edged sword is Sony. They're trying to build a machine that can properly emulate two totaly different other machines, that had different processors and each had different programing languages. Yeah your PC can emulate an NES or Genny, but that's a totaly different story. With that kind of emulation you're taking a modern day machine and having it do number crunching for a system that could be 20+ yrs old. The PS and PS2 aren't that old and to run 1,2&3 all on the same machine you're going to need some serious hardware to back you and some top notch programmers. I'm not saying it's impossible, but as we're seeing it's going to be expensive, and honestly is it really worth all that touble?
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]