Thread: PSP LCD Screen replacement. (Work in progress)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Default PSP LCD Screen replacement. (Work in progress)

So around thanksgiving I noticed my wifes PSP had a Broken LCD screen. I guess she decided to hide it from me as she knew I would be pretty upset. well I was, But I got over it and called sony (1-800-345-7669)

they told me I could send it in and they would send me a refurb for 125USD. He also told me that that since the screen was broken it was an automatic "Out Of warrenty" which means that I might as well try replacing the screen myself. It's the same deal either way with them.

So looking online I've notied Ebay sells the same LCD (Made by Sharp) for around 40 to 60 dollars. I managed to get mine for about 45 new (it is on the way currently)

I also found this link which helped in me deciding to do this on my own

http://www.llamma.com/PSP/PSPTearDown.htm

So Once I get the Screen and work up the courage. I'm going to post up pics and such of my (hopefully not) misadventure of replacing the screen. If anyone has some insight or recommendations (other then don't do it) please feel free to post it. As of right now, I'm scared. but I know deep down I can do it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EXTREMELY EASY TO CRACK. EXTREMELY.

I've done a number of them, and it still requires mental discipline on my part. I'm very good with re-assembly and small parts, but PSP LCD screen handling has to be the most challenging assembly job going. A bit of uneven pressure on one side of the new screen when placing it in, and *crack*. Your $45 gone, and still no working PSP.

Good God take your time. You may even want to practice by re-inserting the broken one, just to see how it goes in.

I can completely disassemble tiny mechanical objects practically blindfolded, and PSP screens still take all the care and discipline I posess.

Good Luck.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Thank you For the encouragement and warnings. I'm thinking it maybe a good Idea to pratice taking it apart and putting it back together again a few times just so I know what I'm up against when the new screen comes in.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

they say that dust is the greatest problem, if it gets in the backlight youll have black spots on yoru screen... so be careful, id do the snap job outside or something.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You might want to get some compressed air to get rid of that dust. You'll hate yourself for having specks in there or a fingerprint.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

YAY! I did it!

I have pics and such. I just don't have the time to go through them at the moment. no worrys though I will be putting them up.

now it's no lie when omnedon said these things are fragile. there like wafer thin.

and yes dust jumps on this thing like a moth to a flame

After I instlled it I notied I had like seven dead pixals. I was going to post who I bought it from on ebay but that dosen't seem like a Good Idea...yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's probably new and untested. :/ Tough for seller, tough for you. Definitly tell the seller. He may offer a replacement, but then you have to remove and re-install. :/
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're able to run homebrew apps, there's a stuck pixel "fixer"... I guess it exercises the screen, and some that are stuck are supposedly fixed by this... I've also heard that sometimes they will go away after a while, so I guess if they will go away, this program will do it. I'm sure not all pixels can be fixed like this, but it's worth a shot. I think this is the one: http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/alexmaepixelfixer.shtml , but there may be another one or two (I don't remember where I saw it).

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

It's a 1.5

I used the video stuck pixal fixer From pspupdates. for a little over twelve hours. I still have two rather large stuck pixals there Black so I'm assuming there dead.

I contacted the seller and he wants me to make sure by getting all the dust off and such and to clean the screen front and back. which I did before I put it in. anyone have any recommendations on what to use. I have a nice micro fiber cloth (not the one that comes with the PSP). I was thinking Lens Cleaner to spray on it then wipe off.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You might want to get some compressed air to get rid of that dust. You'll hate yourself for having specks in there or a fingerprint.

-Rob
    -Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick

-Rob
    -Rob
    Don't get me wrong I appricate the suggestion. But I was already doing that. so I should apologize for not saying so. Because it's a good idea.