http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/07/th...me_journalism/

I agree with the author on some points. I haven't regularly read a videogame mag in a few years, but that's mainly because I get most of my info here. If there happens to be a good article worth reading, someone here will post about it.

I've never been big on previews and why they take up so much space is a mystery to me. Half of the games either don't come out, don't come out when they're supposed to, or don't come out with the previewed features.

As for reviews, it's either a love fest or a humorous trashing (admittedly I'm a fan of the latter). And apparently we are supposed to care what the writers are doing besides reviewing games and what they think is cool and not cool. Huh? Usually when I look at reviews I go to IGN or Gamespot, not to see what they think, but for factual info (ie what songs are on Guitar Hero) and video. If the game is THAT good, someone will post about it here.

IMO the biggest problem is the emphasis on humor and "personalities". The original EG, which in my mind is still the gold standard for videogame journalism, had its humor in the right place...the emphasis was on facts about what was happening in the industry (I guess it helped that there was nowhere else to get that info).