Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European games hardly rated

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default European games hardly rated

I use the guide frequently and I love it, but there is one thing I noticed, that european games are hardly rated. They usualy have rarity rated as 0.

Why is it like this? Is it because it takes too long to rate all european versions too or isnt there enough knowledge to make an aproximate rarity rating?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: European games hardly rated

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Is it because it takes too long to rate all european versions too or isnt there enough knowledge to make an aproximate rarity rating?
    It's a combination of both. The majority of Euro games weren;t part of the guide before the current version of the online guide was born, so it will take time to flesh out. Also, there is a lack of Euro based section editors and it's hard enough to get a complete (and accurate) release list for some of the systems let alone try to assign rarities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Master System, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, Saturn & Dreamcast are all rated, aswell as a few of the more minor systems. It's just those Nintendo & Sony slackers that are letting the side down (just kidding - I know folks are currently hard at work on these...)
    I'd guess it'll be a while before rarities can be assigned for the more recent (PS2 & after) stuff though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm going to kill you now James :P

nah seriously, like James said quite a lot of systems are done, what isn't done rarity wise is mainly NES, SNES and PlayStation. NES & SNES are my territory so i'd like to explain why those are still missing:

General:
    - I have sth like 1500 games in the database to maintain, including two running systems (GC & DS), that's a lot of stuff, especially considering i'm helping out on a few other sections too

- it's more important to me that stuff like Dev/Pub info, release dates, genres and so on are in there than any rarities.

SNES:
    it's in the works, but there are problems:
    - way too few snes collectors, and i can't decide some tougher ones just bases on my observations
    - i don't want the rarities to tend towards a german POV, it should be general european rarity
    - i haven't found a decent tool to track how many copies of a game show up on ebay (if you know one LET ME KNOW!!)

NES (the one you are mainly looking for i guess)
    not started yet
    - will be done AFTER SNES is finished
    - currently not enough knowledge to be honest
    - not fully decided on the PAL-A PAL-B problem
    - same reasons as SNES (there are enough NES collectors though, although most of them failed to look beyond their own country!)
    -Jan

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nearly a third of the 1550+ PAL PlayStation 1 entries is done BUT: the updated PS1 list (which also has a TON of updates) hasn't been sent to Joe yet as I have no word on the PAL PS2 update I delivered nearly 2 months ago.
    So, my PS2 work is currently on hold and I don't think I will return to it as I absolutely have no feedback whatsoever on Joe's side. I gladly mail all the stuff to a new maintainer after his OK to do so.

Many thanks go to my fellow PS1 maintainers, Tinsair & DLR, who also invest plenty of time for rarity/price research.
    visit my PlayStation 1 PAL website at www.defconsoft.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AtariBuff
    So, my PS2 work is currently on hold and I don't think I will return to it as I absolutely have no feedback whatsoever on Joe's side.
    Could you post it somewhere else if Joe's really not interested? It would be a shame to let all the work go to waste...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't believe that Joes isn't "interested" - he just has his obligations to the brick & mortar store. But a little feedback once in a while would be very appreciated nonetheless.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still waiting to hear back on the last XBox (PAL) update I sent in too have a huge list that needs to be added in but I can't until I get the updated one back ^-^

Hopefully it'll not be too long and I'll be able to get the PAL 360 one in too then.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm currently working on a Euro and JPN PSP list. So far i've got all current UK releases (Including Sims 2). The European releases are a pain in the ass because of the part numbers, so that one will take up most of my time.
    For the JPN list, i'm at about 85% done for games released up till Jan 06.

I've already messeged Joe about me working on the Euro list, but he hasn't replied yet. Hopefully soon though.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm still waiting for the last Master System/Mega Drive/Mega CD updates to be uploaded too - I submitted them in early December, and have a bunch more changes/updates/additions to include since then...
    I know Joe's preoccupied with the store, but maybe it would be possible for him to delegate the database updates to someone else? Seems a shame to let the online listings fall so far behind. I'll drop Joe a line tonight and see what he reckons...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    I'll drop Joe a line tonight and see what he reckons...
    Did you get any info about what's happeneing as I just wondering if I shouls continue to update this copy I have and just re-submit it. then I can concentrate on getting the 360's list done

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcturius
    Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    I'll drop Joe a line tonight and see what he reckons...
    Did you get any info about what's happeneing as I just wondering if I shouls continue to update this copy I have and just re-submit it. then I can concentrate on getting the 360's list done
    Arc, I also did the same - I just added the new data and resubmitted it to Joe - the first update was sent in November, the next in December and a final one in January. I then dropped the PAL PS2 database for obvious reasons as my spare time is rare and very valued to me. I'm still working with Tinsair and DLR on the PAL PS1 database where I have a ***heavily*** updated database ready for Joe but at this point of time see no reason to submit. Let's hope not more people loose interest in doing work for the online guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So who is doing the PS2 rarity list now? I have some updates i'm ready to post but if no-one is going to 'process' them i see no point in tracking new information...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good question, obviously we need someone to track the PS2 stuff, otherwise we'll miss a lot of the low budget games :/

don't be afraid AtariBuff, i'm still tracking GB, GBC, GBA (although Mike Etler is actually doing those 3, i'm still acquiring new pictures and game info for it), NES, SNES, GameCube, DC, 32X and DS and i doubt anagrama will stop to track his stuff but yeah, something really needs to change here, my main motivation is because I want to track the info for myself anyways, if that wasn't the case i'd doubt i'd still be doing it to be honest because of the zero feedback right now. i'm trying to send in an update in february though, we'll see when that one goes online
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I heard fom Joe about a month ago, and he said then that he was hoping to get time to give it some attention shortly, but if that doesn't work out he may look at delegating the DB updates to someone else.

I've got a ton of stuff to be added in too, the last files I sent in December are already pretty outdated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    good question, obviously we need someone to track the PS2 stuff, otherwise we'll miss a lot of the low budget games :/
    Just ordered a bunch of games from 505gamestreet. They have a ton of new budget releases for PS2 with 'classics' like Demolition girl, Paparazzi (it ain't no Polaroid Pete, but it has to suffice for now) and Party Girls

Anyway, i don't have the time to bear all responsibility for all PS2 releases, but if someone wants to help i could be responsible for the PS2 PAL releases...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

please send me your email address via PM and I gladly mail you the most recent PAL PS2 database construct.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I've updated my files here so the XBox & XBox 360 Pal ones should be mostly back up to date now.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@yok-dfa
    hope you got the mail with all necessary stuff for future maintenance of the PAL PS2 section. please contact Joe about the change that took place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AtariBuff
    @yok-dfa
    hope you got the mail with all necessary stuff for future maintenance of the PAL PS2 section. please contact Joe about the change that took place.
    Yup. Also PM'ed you