Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which non-main console to start?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which non-main console to start?

I have been seduced more and more by the collecting bug in the time I have spent on DP. Right now I am getting to a point where I would like to add one of the less main stream consoles to my collection, something like the turbo g or a neogeo, even older systems like the various ataris could be an option. I just wanted to ask what would be a good starting point, something that would be easy to get started into, maybe a little easy on the wallet too.

Currently I have:
    Genesis
    N64
    PS1and2
    DS
    Gameboy
    Jaguar
    (cannot count the NES until I can find cables and controllers)

I really enjoy good platforming, 2d fighting, shmups. I trust the opinions around here, thus I throw myself upon your collective wisdom.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't go with a NeoGeo if you want something that's easy on the wallet. If I were you, I'd get a Dreamcast. Lots of good, quality titles on the DC...including some excellent 2D fighters.

And even though it's more mainstream...you really should pick up an SNES as soon as you can.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like 2d fighting get a neo geo, no doubt. Be prepared to use alot of money tho

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Or how about just the Neo Geo Pocket Color?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want something small and simple I'd say go with the 32x. Not many titles and the more expensive games won't bust your wallet (I think).
    My Game Collection, Doubles Are For Sale: http://www.rfgeneration.com. User name is Shaggy. I will entertain any other reasonable offer.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2D fighters= Neo Geo is what you want. But if not go with a Dreamcast.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For shmups, you can't beat a Turbo Duo. It's probably got the best library out there. Make sure you get one that can play imports, though. The Saturn and Dreamcast also have fanastic shmup libraries as well.

And I wouldn't recommend buying a 32x to anybody. The games may be cheap, but none of them are any good.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you've got a genny then maybe get a master converter to play Sega Master System games, or just buy a sms, great system with alot of classic games like phantasy star, outrun and altered beast.

system and games aren't hard to find for little $$$ and most controllers and cords are compatible with the genny1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Only you can decide what system you want to start. I'd go with a system that has games you enjoy...

Consider getting imports for the systems you already have, like Super Famicom stuff. Lots of great games on there not seen in the west, though some consider it top-heavy with RPGs (or maybe that's bottom-heavy, depending on your view of the genre).

I think all the mainstream systems offer great libraries, if you're content to have a few great games and ignore anything you don't want. To me, it doesn't make sense to ask "what system" when you can ask "what games?"

That's my key: I don't buy any games I don't want. Saves money, space (in the case of certain really popular systems, if you try to go complete), and disappointment, plus I get a wider understanding than I would've by sticking with one system, if only because it requires more hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can say from experience that the Intellivision library is quite easy (and fun) to collect with. Its also sort of obscure because it was released quite some time ago and has a fairly small selection of games (175ish).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for 2d fighters and shmups i'm gonna say go for a Dreamcast, has a nice healthy library of these, a bit lacklustre on the platforming front though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have noticed a lot of Dreamcast recommendations, sounds like it maybe an option, but is that controller hard to use? It looks a little unwieldy.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Dreamcast controller isn't great for shmups, but you can buy one of those ASCII FT pads that looks just like a Saturn pad. The joypad is a bit mushier than I'd like, but it gets the job done. Or just get a Dreamcast-to-Playstation controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast is a great recommendation. As each year passes, complete games seem to be drying up in the wild, especially the good & uncommon titles. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now the DC was uncommon to come across in the wild like the SMS and to a lesser extent, the Saturn. Speaking of the SMS, if you ever find one, you mine as well collect for it. There are some rare games for it, and finding games for it in general (assuming you live in NA) can be tricky in the wild, but nothing on it is really pricey.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also recommend the Intellivision if you really don't mind playing very early games. There are tons of great games like Microsurgeon, Utopia, Sea Battle, Treasure of Tarmin, and others to choose from. I happen to love the packaging and overlays that come with the games. Not extrememly expensive, either. However, if you want something more modern, I'd go with the Dreamcast. Although I'm one of the minority who thinks that the Jaguar and 3DO have their charms too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dskillz
    I have noticed a lot of Dreamcast recommendations, sounds like it maybe an option, but is that controller hard to use? It looks a little unwieldy.
    You don't have to buy a whole collection right away Get a few games and see if you like 'em, and dump it if need be.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Or how about just the Neo Geo Pocket Color?
    That's a really good recommendation. Kinda obscure but not too expensive, a lot of great games that don't get the attention they deserve, and almost every single game in the handheld's small library is worth playing.

A PC Engine/Turbo Duo would be my other recommendation, since as far as I'm concerned, you pretty much can't do any better as far as shmups go. And since it also has a lot of great platformers and some good fighters, it's a great option. It's a little expensive to get the hardware, but after that it's not so bad. Many of the best games are very cheap.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

In my experience...easiest to hardest...assuming you pursue a complete collection.

- N-Gage (easy, and cheap)
    - 32x (-Spiderman and Deion Sanders)
    - Odyssey 2 (Powerlords, settle for an import on this one...maybe Demon Attack too)
    - Atari 7800 (Anyone spare a copy of Tank Command?)
    - Sega Master System (And a Buster Douglas?)
    - Neo Geo Pocket
    - Intellivision, many more games thean the systems so far
    - Nintendo 64 (300 ish games, and you'll need a couple of imports (Sin & Punishment)
    - Atari 5200 (Couple of impossibly expensive titles)
    - Game Gear
    - Dreamcast
    - Atari Jaguar
    - Sega CD
    - Sega Saturn (getting expensive but still less than 300 games)
    - Turbo Grafx (Is this easier or tougher than Saturn? Not sure)
    - Atari 2600 (The first couple hundred are easy)
    - NES (Tough to complete but you can get many titles cheaply)
    - Sega Genesis (Again, maybe easier than the NES)
    - Game Cube
    - Super Nintendo (Breaking the bank)
    - Playstation (1550 titles, long boxes, GH collection.) SNES may be tougher and more expensive though.
    - Neo Geo AES (Simply for the $$$)

Left a few out, but this is the impression I have gotten through my collecting habits.

Later,
    Trebuken

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a side note to the comment about compatibility of controllers:

I have the 3 button controller with joystick and dials for turbo on the buttoms for the Genesis ( have one at home bot forget what it's called and I'm at work ) and it actually will function as a joystick for the Commodore 64. I had a car driving game ( off hand don't remember but all the C64 users out there probably remember ) and it actually worked for that game quite well. Made it really easy for driving!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well. If you want to collect an early (late 70s - early 80s) system:

If you want a system where you can collect all the games pretty easily, get an Intellivision.

If you want the system of the era (according to most people), get an atari 2600.

If you want to play new homebrews, it's your choice: 2600, Intellivision, Odyssey2, Colecovision and Vectrex all have them.

If you want something that will need explanation every time it's approached by a noncollecting friend: Adventurevision, miocrovision or the vectrex.

Or
    You could get the
    greatest gaming system of all time

The Odyssey2
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.