Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tetris DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Peanut-Butter
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    DID YOU KNOW that Tetrisphere was initally planned for the Jaguar?
    Interesting, I did not know that. Sure glad it landed on Nintendo's console instead.
    Yeah it was called Phear. Apparently h2o (the company that made it) was displaying it at the 1995 CES at the atari booth. Nintendo saw the game and offered them quite a sum to bring it to the n64 instead. It was probably a good move for everyone, except Atari. You can see the Phear brochure here

And here's an image of Phear running on the Jaguary next to a screengrab of Tetrisphere on the n64 - do they look similar?

The phear shot is from a partial scan of the 1995 CES atari poster. Sorry for the small image size, but its not my fault. That's the best the internet has to offer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Perhaps Im totally mad, but he jaguar version's background appears to have an egg and sperm in it at first glance.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto19XX
    Perhaps Im totally mad, but he jaguar version's background appears to have an egg and sperm in it at first glance.
    I was wondering about that squiggle looking thing myself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tetris DS finally arrived today. I pre-ordered it but after reading ThatInkJar's posts was beginning to think I should have just gone the eBay route. The reason for the delay was that 1 letter in the middle of my post code was wrong on the front and for some reason the postal service thought it would be good to try and send it to London, then realised I live in Manchester, as it says on the address.

Anyway, the game is here now and I've given each of the different games a go. Basically think I'm going to stick to standard mode which is still very very good. The addition of a hold piece adds something but i dont think i've really sussed that out yet. The rotation is very wierd but it doesn't really extend my game that much over normal tetris so far. The music is excellent. Would love to try wi-fi but I've not got a wireless connection. When i take the train down to London i may give it a go at the hotspots which should be in the train stations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, managed 200 lines! A while ago I hit 197 and it was really annoying but on this go I was actually working down the stack so if it was on endless might have got quite a bit further though without the incentive of "completing" it on reaching 200 who knows if I can get that far. And yes, my wrists do ache a bit from playing.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Like Jasoco said, the speed peaks, and it just becomes a game of endurance. However, I seemed to me that I would try to keep spinning the piece, looking for somewhere to put it, and it just plunk itself down. In fact, that's what killed me. I wonder if as the levels increase past the maximum speed, is there a cap on how long you can keep spinning your piece. Or maybe you have to hit the button faster as the levels increase to keep it spinning, i.e. you can still spin it forever, but you have to press the spin button damn fast.
    I just completed about 1660 lines, and can say that there is no cap to how long you can spin a piece. I was able to spin some almost indefinately, deciding where/how to put it. That being said, you do have to press the buttons very quickly to keep it spinning.

The lines stop counting at 999, but it will still count levels. So you can still tell within 10 lines how many you have.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julio III
    Well, managed 200 lines! A while ago I hit 197 and it was really annoying but on this go I was actually working down the stack so if it was on endless might have got quite a bit further though without the incentive of "completing" it on reaching 200 who knows if I can get that far. And yes, my wrists do ache a bit from playing.
    Congrats on both scoring a copy of the game and completing it. You mentioned in your previous post that you didn't have a wireless connection... are you planning to pick up the dongle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Congrats on both scoring a copy of the game and completing it. You mentioned in your previous post that you didn't have a wireless connection... are you planning to pick up the dongle?
    Well, not at the moment. I want some kind of device that lets me do everything - wifi me so i can flash my ds, play wifi games, run wireless homebrew like the VNC thing, linux, and the use your DS and a PC controller.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, not at the moment. I want some kind of device that lets me do everything - wifi me so i can flash my ds, play wifi games, run wireless homebrew like the VNC thing, linux, and the use your DS and a PC controller.
    Oh. The Datel WiFi Max seems popular (though I would never sit here and recommend it to you, personally). I hope you can get online in time (the dongle is the easiest means, in my opinion), and we can clear some lines together.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it, played it for probably a good 15 hours and feel really done with it now and have already sold it. I did over 2800 lines yesterday, and while it was fun, I have no reason to want to play it again. I also took all the other modes pretty much to the limit.

I liked the original one where you couldn't spin it for an unending period of time. This just seemed to be a lesson in button mashing. I honestly feel that I lost not due to me screwing up, but due to me becoming fatigued from hitting the buttons.

Nice game overall though.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if you've exhausted the single player... isn't it time to head online, goatdan? I can't see myself taking out Tetris for a long time to come, not when the multiplayer is as addictive as it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh. The Datel WiFi Max seems popular (though I would never sit here and recommend it to you, personally). I hope you can get online in time (the dongle is the easiest means, in my opinion), and we can clear some lines together.
    You can use the Datel for wifime?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like the mission mode personally, that and original are good, the other stuff is so-so

but this is the best tetris game in years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know why the line counter stops at 999?

I was just a little disappointed when I saw it stop, at least the score continues.

So far I have hit level 121 in endless standard
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

This game is a work of sheer brilliance. The gears are turning at Nintendo and they know what sells. All of my gaming time has been devoted to this little fella for the past week.

High score for me is 49,364 in regular mode. I know, not that impressive for some, but I'm getting better.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oooh without a doubt. Tetris DS is a gem, it's how nintendo got their heads on it and created a true nintendo tetris instead of those russian citadels. Excellent stuff, the online thingy is even more brilliant, those free online tetris games on PC were also great, going portable is the best next step i can think of. Go Nintendo!