Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a Neo-Geo AES, what should I do?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thinking of buying a Neo-Geo AES, what should I do?

I'm thinking of buying a Neo-Geo AES at some point in the near future. I just think it would be sweet to hook it up to a RGB monitor and play stuff like Magician Lord and stuff like that. I know it's incredible expensive, but I'm just thinking it will be a sweet experience.

Now, I know that there is alot of debate out there as to what type of Neo-Geo one should buy. I know that I want the actual cartridge system, an actual AES system, but I don't know what kind of mods that I want for it, or an updated bios or all of that stuff. I was wondering if somebody could give me the low down.

Basically, all I want is the system itself, a power plug, for the video cable I'm going to use a RGB cable instead. What kind of Video Out is on the back of it? It's the same as the Model 1 Genesis right? I've always heard that you can use a RGB cable from a Model 1 Genny. Does the audio/video output plug provide stereo sound? I've heard people mention having a mod done for audio outputs on the back, and I didn't understand why. What's the deal about the bios?

What kind of power supply does it use? Can I use a Model 1 Genesis power supply with it?

Basically, I'm trying to find out if there is something that I should definitely know before buying one, before I make a big mistake. Also, as for carts, I just want one decent game to play with it. Like Magician Lord. Back in the day, I had Cyber-Lip, Super Baseball 2020 and a couple of other games.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if there are any specific things I should know before heading down this path.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

you should probably start researching by using the search feature on this forum or go to www.neo-geo.com

find out as much as you can that way, and then ask what is still confusing....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed, the unit has the same A/V out as a Megadrive, so you're fine to use a MD RGB Scart lead with it. However, around the time of the 3rd MoBo revision, SNK decided to alter the video output of the AES. This results in the unit displaying a better composite picture, but makes the RGB output worse. Therefore if you want an AES to run via RGB, you want a serial number of 90,000 or less.

The other mods you've seen are 'Mega Neos'. An AES that's been modded with a power light in the reset button, UniBIOS, rear stereo L/R, component, S-Vid. Normally, you can only get rgb/composite/mono sound from the A/V out, and stereo from the front headphone jack, just for comparison.

oh, and a fully modded Mega Neo is damn expensive too.

Cue my standard MVS argument:

Get an MVS and build/buy a Supergun. If you get a MoBo that has pad sockets already on it, you dont even need a Supergun. Literally wire in a 5pin DIN socket for your Jameco SC200 PSU via a DPST power switch (solder stright to JAMMA connector) and wire in one 8pin DIN for video/stereo output. And that's it. Welcome to the world of cheap Neo Geo games. Oh, and this is definately worth a UniBIOS mod. You'll be able to switch the MVS system into AES mode, so you play the home versions of the games off the MVS carts.

If money is no object, then fair enough, go for an AES. But put it like this: Metal Slug is a damn excellent game. One of my favorites in fact. Would I pay $3000 for a copy? No. Mine cost £20, plus £10 for Shockbox and insert. Plus the effort of consolizing an MVS. Exactly the same game, but a difference of well, $3000.

You decide......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's a sad day when somebody loses their Neo Geo's PSU. It's a worthwhile question, but I doubt you can (I might as well take a look at it, though).

Sorry to say the sub-$100 dollar game selection's a bit limited, but there still are some great titles on that list. I'd say Cyber-Lip is a must-have, myself, and so is Sengoku...if you want to really limit how much you're spending (Metal Slug - any of them - and Sengoku 2 are much better than these early efforts, but they're still worthwhile).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    Cue my standard MVS argument:

Get an MVS and build/buy a Supergun. If you get a MoBo that has pad sockets already on it, you dont even need a Supergun. Literally wire in a 5pin DIN socket for your Jameco SC200 PSU via a DPST power switch (solder stright to JAMMA connector) and wire in one 8pin DIN for video/stereo output. And that's it. Welcome to the world of cheap Neo Geo games. Oh, and this is definitely worth a UniBIOS mod. You'll be able to switch the MVS system into AES mode, so you play the home versions of the games off the MVS carts.

If money is no object, then fair enough, go for an AES. But put it like this: Metal Slug is a damn excellent game. One of my favorites in fact. Would I pay $3000 for a copy? No. Mine cost £20, plus £10 for Shockbox and insert. Plus the effort of consolizing an MVS. Exactly the same game, but a difference of well, $3000.

You decide......
    There ya go MVS or nothing

Only pick, AES if your realy well off and you don't mind spending a fortune for it.

As for me i'm just happy with.. my cmvs 2 slot it has save me a lot of "money" on games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Get the AES
    Install a Neobitz board (S-Vid, composite and RGB outputs all in one mod)
    Do Stereo Mod at the same time as installing your Neobitz board
    Get Unibios from Razoola (Go to Neo Geo forums)

Get some games maybe a P-1 or the new convertor from Neo Flash that is supposed to play all titles on the MVS as well as the titles that the Phantom-1 couldn't play properly.

You can either get an AES mod kit and modify your AES that way or get the Neobitz board which I recommend because it is WAY easier to install and WAY cleaner looking.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by tholly
    you should probably start researching by using the search feature on this forum or go to www.neo-geo.com

find out as much as you can that way, and then ask what is still confusing....
    Seriously. There's a ton of Neo info out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XianXi
    Get the AES

Get some games maybe a P-1 or the new convertor from Neo Flash that is supposed to play all titles on the MVS as well as the titles that the Phantom-1 couldn't play properly.

You can either get an AES mod kit and modify your AES that way or get the Neobitz board which I recommend because it is WAY easier to install and WAY cleaner looking.
    Neo flash why havent I heard this before? Got any details?
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Start by robbing a bank.

Sorry, had to post this after reading all the ridiculously helpful replies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would seriously go with a MVS. No, it’s not nearly as pretty as a AES but it’s got it where it counts. Simply put it plays the same games and then some. First off there are same MVS only releases (not a ton but they do exist) and second the prices of the carts are MUCH lower. It makes games like Metal Slug affordable with a little saving.

Case in point, I had an AES and some games, I’m a big Samurai Showdown fan and had Samurai Showdown I-III. Sam Sho I was $20, II was 35 (for a Japanese cart) and III was $75 (again, Japanese cart). That’s $125 for I-III. I sold them and got Sam Sho I-IV for the MVS for $65. Half the $$ for 4 games and they play exactly the same, no difference. If I had wanted Sam Sho IV for the AES the price would have been $200+. In that one situation the MVS paid for itself.

And don’t get me started on the Metal Slug topic, let’s just say I have 1,2,3 and X and for THOSANDS less.

What it boils down to is that it's not a MVS-vs-AES thing, it's a how much do you want to pay thing. Figuring that the games are the same on both, the MVS seems to be the smarter choice.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Get the AES

They claim to play all MVS games with no problems and have set release for Q1 of this year. Price tag is about $299. If this is true I will sell my P-1 later on. I saw it on the Neo forums.

Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    I would seriously go with a MVS. No, it’s not nearly as pretty as a AES but it’s got it where it counts.
    Not if you consolize a 1 slot into a Neo CD like oro on the Neo Forums, it looks sweet.
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Get the AES

They claim to play all MVS games with no problems and have set release for Q1 of this year. Price tag is about $299. If this is true I will sell my P-1 later on. I saw it on the Neo forums.
    The problem is that you're still much more expensive than a consolized MVS. I got my fully consolized MVS (full audio outs, dual controller ports and S-vid out) with Universe Bios 2.1 and a large “old style” controller for under $400. To get an AES modded with a new bios, S-vid and stereo outs and that adapter you’re talking well over $500.

Here’s a pic of my MVS:

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, at this point, I'm thinking I better just forget this altogether. Maybe get a Neo CD like I was originally planning. I'm a cheap ass bastard, and it appears that neither of those options would work for me. The way that I was originally going to play it, was to just get a Neo-Geo AES bare bones, (of course need a power supply and one original type controller) one game like Magician Lord or Cyber-Lip, and just play that until I'm bored with it, and then maybe even sell it off to somebody else. Basically, I just kinda want to rent one for a period of time.

Are there any decent carts under $100 ? I'm cool with some of the sports games too, like Super Baseball 2020 and stuff like that. How accurate is the DP guide for Neo-Geo carts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there any decent carts under $100 ?
    About 10 hehe.

I would do MVS or CD. I personally do AES, dont have all the goods in my AES like XianXi, but I do have a good amount of games. Bout 25 and let me tell you im already at like $3000 with that 25.

I really only buy games when I go to Japan, as they are much cheaper then what people charge online/ebay/forums

Once I finish my supergun and ill get an MVS board and start collecting MVS.

But for you, if your cheap and dont want to deal with load times get an MVS. If you like loading then go with a CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've got an AES, early model with the old fashioned video output. Mono sound sucks, but the video sharpness is pretty close to what I remember in the arcades (it's not very sharp at all, but that doesn't bug me). I don't think a mod is essential except for the stereo sound, myself.

I'm just getting the games first, anyway. Maybe one of these days I'll get one of our modding experts to hook me up with a "fully loaded" system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

If you are looking to save money then go MVS, I mean you can consolize one for around $200-300 very dependant on the cost of parts. Plus the games you can get from $10-90 each, average MVS cart price is around $20.

If you got DEEP pockets then go AES.

Luckily when I got my AES I got it with 6 games or so with the controller and hook ups for only $100, thats a steal.

Good luck in your quest.
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

from what i have heard, the neo geo cd loads very slowly and can get annoying pretty quickly....i dont have one, so i have no personal experience with it.....

....also, arent the really good cd games still in the $70 to $100 range....i don't know why i think that, but i think i heard that.....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really probably makes sense for me to get a Neo CD, especially since I don't mind playing dubs. But for whatever reason, I just want the real original machine. Of course, the downside is that I have to spend alot of $$$$.

The game situation really wouldn't be a big deal, cause I would only go for games that are under $60 shipped. I know that this will severly limit the games that I could get, but that's fine, I can take my time with this system. The games that I would be interested in getting that are under $60 shipped are:

Magician Lord
    Nam 1975
    Blues Journey
    Baseball Stars Professional
    Ninja Combat
    2020 Super Baseball
    Top Players Golf
    Alpha Mission 2
    Thrash Rally
    Cyber-Lip

and any other action type games that are under $60 shipped. I'm not really a fighting game guy, I don't mind Final Fight type games, but I'm not really into the straight up fighters. Which are the best games under $60 shipped that I'm leaving off the list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    It really probably makes sense for me to get a Neo CD, especially since I don't mind playing dubs. But for whatever reason, I just want the real original machine. Of course, the downside is that I have to spend alot of $$$$.

The game situation really wouldn't be a big deal, cause I would only go for games that are under $60 shipped. I know that this will severly limit the games that I could get, but that's fine, I can take my time with this system. The games that I would be interested in getting that are under $60 shipped are:

Magician Lord
    Nam 1975
    Blues Journey
    Baseball Stars Professional
    Ninja Combat
    2020 Super Baseball
    Top Players Golf
    Alpha Mission 2
    Thrash Rally
    Cyber-Lip

and any other action type games that are under $60 shipped. I'm not really a fighting game guy, I don't mind Final Fight type games, but I'm not really into the straight up fighters. Which are the best games under $60 shipped that I'm leaving off the list?
    I got my Metal Slug for $50. Other games that you might want to get are

Aero Fighters 2 & 3
    Baseball Stars 2
    Bust a Move
    Magical Drop
    Ghost Pilots
    League Bowling
    Super Sidekicks 1,2,3

You can get all these for $20 and under on ebay.
    Jamma Nation X Videos