Thread: Why do we as gamers feel the need to display all consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Default Why do we as gamers feel the need to display all consoles?

I noticed when I was doing some changes to my mini gaming area, that if I would just put a few consoles or games away in the closet, I would have plenty of room, but I just can’t… do it. I feel the need to show all of my gaming material that I have obtained even if it’s a system I almost never use any more. Not to mention the stack of DVD’s I have I need to find a place for. I have gotton better. I stuck a few game's in containers etc, but there are still a few things I could remove to open up more space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Simple: you're proud of what you've collected. If it's easy to display, collectors will show off their wares. My aunt collects decorative spoons that are from different locations (states, countries, etc.) and has them in a display cabinet. My ex-fiance's dad collected beer trays and had them displayed as a border on the walls in the rec room. My step-brother's ex-wife used to collect decorative plates and had them hanging on special hangers on the walls....

Get the picture? Video games can be visually appealing and can invoke feelings of nostalgia to those who played those machines or maybe knew of someone who had one years back. Whenever someone came by my place and saw my game systems, they usually point to one and say "Awww man, I remember that!" and that's a neat feeling.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its a matter of pride, also some people want to show off what they have collected. Also its nice to see what you have for yourself, the old adage, out of sight out of mind comes to mind. But thats just my two cents.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pride is not a virtue.

I learned that from Ultima IV :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget the good feeling when you show it to somebody and they ask you, "Hey I've never seen one of those before, what is it?"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I don't do it to show off, because who am I showing off to? No one ever sees my stuff. I keep my consoles out so that they are ready to play. I never know what I am going to be in the mood to play, so I have everything out on shelves next to the TV hooked up and ready to go.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I leave mine out because, when I want my gaming fix, I want it right damn now. Plus, constantly connecting/disconnecting can strain the power/video jacks. Not that I care because I can solder, but for some it may be a bigger deal.

...but the eye-widening effect of telling guests that, "yes, they're all hooked up and ready to go" is a pleasant side benefit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Whenever someone came by my place and saw my game systems, they usually point to one and say "Awww man, I remember that!" and that's a neat feeling.
    I must admit that is a neat feeling, but as some other poster has stated, lately no one comes over my house that much, so I guess it's just a matter of my inner person prefrence. I also guess I just love seeing what I've collected , like someone else has pointed out. It intrest me to see why others leave all their gaming items on display all the time though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to and like to have my stuff out simply for the playability factor. I'm much more likely to bust out a game on an older console if it's already hooked up (or mostly setup) and ready to go. I don't want to decide a game, dig out the system, hook it up to the tv, get the game and the controller and then play. Sometimes I just want to slap Demon Attack in the ole' Intellivision and gogogo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

My main reason for having 15 consoles hooked up to 1 tv is practicality and playability. I can go from playing NES to PS2 to 360 and around to Genesis very easily. Sometimes I do just stare at them all and debate which one to play.

It is interesting when someone comes by and is in awe of all that gaming hardware. Some people remenise of the days of good ol NES playing(these folks like to play Contra with 30 lives). Some people are amazed at seeing an AES(people who dreamed of owning the big bad Neo Geo when younger). Then there are the ones that just don't understand, they laugh and say junk like "you actually play Nintendo still?!?!" and this is the new one - "sweet you got a Xbox 360, what games do you have? You got that 'war game'?" (note: I don't play FPS and only own 2 games)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man there are many times.....MANY times, that I just stare at my wall of games or consoles.
    It's totally a matter of pride.
    Kirby's my bitch!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm..

I recently watched a movie called the 40 year old Virgin. His collection of toys resembled my collection of consoles and games. This movie caused me to consider that I could possibly being stereoyped in a similar way to the poor fellow in the movie. Nevertheless, I continue to display most of my consoles. I just make sure I keep the door to that room closed when guests come around...

Later,
    Trebuken

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i dont feel the need to show them off. being a gaming geek isnt exactly something to be all that proud of. i have my xbox under my tv and thats it. rest is in my closet. i also have a mini psone w/ lcd in my table drawer i can whip out anytime.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game consoles = pretty....

... I like things that are pretty.

..... I also like sandwiches.

Sandwiches = pretty.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have all my consoles connected so I can play them ( keep the controllers behind the console for easy connection and the games in a closet) it is standard fare for me, but to my friends, my kids' friends, and my kids, it is novel, and part of the fun of coming over/living here.

yeah! 40 year old virgin is awesome, when they first show his apartment, I immediately thought of DP and everyone's room of doom

THat movie is the epitome of my stereotype of people like us here at dp

sad to say, but I hope to some day be at the same level that alot of you all have achieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Why do we as gamers feel the need to display all console

I used to have a bunch of boxed systems up on my shelf, but I was wary of sunfading and getting a mark along the side of the box where it hung off the end of the shelf (we're talking about a new Sharp Twin Famicom...you don't find those every day). I've put it away for the moment.

So...I don't really feel the need to display my stuff.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    I don't do it to show off, because who am I showing off to? No one ever sees my stuff. I keep my consoles out so that they are ready to play. I never know what I am going to be in the mood to play, so I have everything out on shelves next to the TV hooked up and ready to go.

Chris
    Bingo. Word for word.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Same here, actually. I'm embarassed/protective when people come over and are all "OH SHIT DUDE"

I hate watching out for sticky fingers.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The same answer as everyone else, pride. Whether it be pride to impress others or pride for yourself it's pride. The same reason a rich person puts a collection of fine Ming vases on display.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Though there is definitely an element of pride involved, mine are all on display because they are all hooked to the television, ready to go. And, I most definitely use them all!