Thread: Selling Strategy Guides

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Selling Strategy Guides

A local computer book liquidator is presently having a $5 for 10 deal. Amongst the piles of Office 97 and DOS 6.22 books, there is a considerable number of Prima stategy guides. However, most of the games involved are I guess what might be called B-list titles - Devil May Cry 3, Dino Crisis 3, .hack Mutation, Tron 2.0, and so on.

I don't have any of the relevant games (well, I do have Tron 2.0), but I seem to recall some hubbub about selling strategy guides here before. Do these things move at all, or would I be stuck with them forever?

EDIT: Okay, here's the complete list. These are all actually Brady, unless otherwise noted.
    .hack Mutation (that's .hack part 2)
    Auto Modellista
    Clock Tower 3
    Defender
    Devil May Cry 3
    Dino Crisis 3
    Disney's The Haunted Mansion
    Dragengard
    Enter the Matrix
    The Hulk
    Jak II
    Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring
    Manhunt
    Max Payne 2
    Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge
    Mega Man X7
    Playboy: The Mansion
    PNO 3
    Pokemon Snap (Sybex)
    Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
    Resident Evil 2 (Sybex)
    Rise to Honor
    Shadow of Rome
    Temple of Elemental Evil
    Tron 2.0
    True Crime: Streets of LA
    X2: Wolverine's Revenge
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can move them but i dont see much of a profit unless you have get some rare ones.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the question is "Can I sell these for more than $2 each five years from now?" then I would say yes. Or at least "sure". The value will go up over time, if you're patient enough. There seem to be more collectors on eBay. Definitely more than there were two years ago, and five years ago.

If you're going to just grab an armful and hope for the best, I would suggest Brady over Prima, and anything RPG. Thicker guides, RPGs, Brady.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good advice above. You may get a little for them down the road, but you'll be waiting for a while.

I've been sitting on a pile of PSX strategy guides for a few years now, and it doesn't look like anyone'll be trying to take them off my hands anytime soon.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would be interested in any rpg guides (like .hack etc) you can get
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All right, I have edited the first post. Does anyone still think that these would be useful to anyone? If so, perhaps this thread should be moved to Buying and Selling.

(Merde, I remember back when only a few rare, good games got strategy guides. The Haunted Mansion? What's up with that?)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pick up any RPG strategy guides you can find. If you're paying 5 dollars for 10 guides I would honestly grab every single guide that have, but thats just me. Hell my local gamestore would give me a few bucks for each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Frankly I can't see anyone being interested in any of those games a few years from now, let alone the strategy guides. Or am I grossly misinformed?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say buy them all. Its not the much money and they will be worth something someday.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Frankly I can't see anyone being interested in any of those games a few years from now, let alone the strategy guides. Or am I grossly misinformed?
    Well, if there's somone that has this game they really like, what's to stop them from getting a guide for it, even if the guide came out 5-10 years ago? Even if they don't need it or plan on using it, some people just like having everything of a game or series.

Hell, most of the posters here are collectors of one system or another. So you could say collecting games is "normal". But there's more to gaming and the subculture surrounding it. Why stop at guides? You could also argue what's the point of carrying an interest in collecting sealed games or controllers or instruction manuals (which I realy don't get). I know there has to be at least some of you with a shoebox of loose manuals that have become this little unofficial collection.

Since this thread is as good as any, are there any other guide collectors here (I'm still fairly new around here)? I'm up to 607 unique titles and 891 guides in total.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    I'll pay you a dollar each for every current gen guide you can get me. Double your money

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco
    Since this thread is as good as any, are there any other guide collectors here (I'm still fairly new around here)? I'm up to 607 unique titles and 891 guides in total.
    I got up to around 30 or so Dreamcast guides (which is probably about 1/4 or so of those released for the console), but I just gave up. It's so damn difficult to get them in good condition, and they take up a jesus load of space. Plus, it pissed me off that I was paying $2 for an NFL 2K guide, then another $3 to ship it off eBay.

It was a fun little venture, but it died hard pretty fast (like the rest of my collection).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never actually bothered to look at the prices on the current guides stacked up inside Future Shop. These things actually run for $25-35 CDN! And this is information you could get for free on GameFAQs or countless other places!

I can imagine the production costs for such thick wads of full-color pages must be pretty high, putting aside whatever goes into research and layout, but still, there are plenty of quality games you could purchase for that kind of money.

Anyway, if you still want in on this deal I might still be able to dig something up. See http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78974 for more details.