Thread: Your thoughts on "Snaking" in Mario Kart DS

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your thoughts on "Snaking" in Mario Kart DS

What do you guys think of this technique? I thought it was an illegal cheat exploit of the game - if you see someone doing it, it sure looks like it. I've read in other messageboards that it isn't. What are all your thoughts on it?
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess if you're out to completely turn your back on one of the central skills in Mario Kart then you're pretty much probably only playing it still for the thrill of whipping someone's ass with items and such rather than being a fast racer period.

Wanna talk cheating? read this quote I pulled

FLYING???? (12:07am EST Tue Jan 17 2006)
    Some jerk with Japanese symbols for a name was flying, iv never seen a cart fly have you? (im not talking about the jumps) he flu the entire map!
    Maybe its Shigeru playing one of his protos

This one made me laugh a little

"what is that sliding thing he's using all the time?"

You hop while turning around corners, if you do it right, you will skid. With each skid, the smoke coming out of your tailpipe will add a letter, spelling "V-R-O-O-M". If you can spell VROOM without missing a beat, you get a speed boost and noob opponent will yell "cheater" and throw their controler in disgust because they will never be able to beat you once you get good at it.
    And a guy named Enigmatic cam has all the info right here

Here's why there's even an issue on 'snaking':

1. Mario Kart DS is online, meaning everyone around the world who plays it can be brought together in one place. Advanced skills, such as 'snaking', become much more well known when a game is playable online. Those who played Mario Kart for years and never figured out you can do MTs on a straight-away are now waking up to the truth that, not only can you do it, but it makes a marginal difference. Thus, a select some of these people are complete sore losers, and start claiming that it's a cheap and an exploit, just like they do with 'wavedashing' in SSBM

2. Somebody down the line decided to use the term 'snake' and pull it from F-Zero, which actually was an exploit. Now those familiar with F-Zero but not Mario Kart are presumptuously calling it an exploit.,

3. These select few sore losers go on boards like GameFAQs and start complaining like crazy about it. Suddenly, those who really don't know much about either side jump on the band wagon and follow them like the Christ. They don't know anything about the game, but they damn well better defend against this 'new' 'snaking' technique.

4. Now, Snaking has this bad persona on any board. As soon as someone uses the term, there's a crazy debate. It's so dumb.

Here are the reason why they it should be allowed:

1. 'Snaking' is a bad term in the first place. Snaking is a left and right motion, but many times on many levels you will do a left followed by a left followed by another left. Or sometimes you'll only do one MT on a straight-away because that's all the room you have. SSMT is the appropriate term.

2. SSMTs have been in in Mario Kart since MK64. Granted, in MK64 it was much more difficult to perform one. But.....

3. ....if Nintendo thought it really was an exploit (and anybody that says nintendo is not aware of it is ignorant), they would have removed it this time around. MK64, MKDD, and MKDS all yield this technique. Some would argue that you can't get rid of 'snaking' without getting rid of powersliding. This isn't true, because in MK64, although you could do an SSMT, it was very difficult. Thus, it really only made a difference in time trials, whereas it makes a huge difference in MKDD and MKDS in multiplayer play and time trials.

4. Who's to say where and when you can't use an SSMT? Suppose in Firgure-8, I'm doing MTs like crazy around the long wide turns. After the turn is finished, because I was doing MTs, my kart is slanted. That allows me to do one last MT after the turn, but DURING the straight-away. Who's really to say that was so wrong? Now, after I did that one SSMT, my kart is still slanted. So I do another. And another. Where do you draw the line?

5. Many times in MKDS there are tight zig-zag turns, like in Luigi's Mansion, Choco Mountain, Mario Circuit, and others. If I have quick fingers, I can do an MT on every single one of those turns. Funny, I'm performing the exact same movements of an SSMT when I do that. I'm doing a left MT quickly followed by a right MT quickly followed by a left MT, etc, all the while trying to go as straight through the turns as possible. I use the exact finger movements as if I were on a straight-away, like in Figure-8

6. And finally, would it be fair to ban it on some courses in MKDS but allow it in MKDD on all courses? There is no difference between the two.

here's in a more brutal nutshell

It's a component of the game that requires skill and a certain degree of risk (if you screw up, you go flying off into the rough). It's also been around since Mario Kart 64. If you aren't good enough to compete against it, go back to playing offline computer opponents who might be more your speed.

I will use whatever skills I have at my disposal in global play, and likewise, I will abide by my friends' rules when they politely request that I not snake around too much. Of course, now that I've started walloping with R.O.B., snaking's not always a viable option, so I have to do without anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For christs sake it's in the bloody manual. If you can't do it go read the thing and practice some more. @_@

I say ban that pi$$ ant blue shell. I usually get hit with that thing about 5 or 6 a race O_O

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about this question

What are your thought on Braking in mario kart ds?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Your thoughts on "Snaking" in Mario Kart DS

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits
    What do you guys think of this technique? I thought it was an illegal cheat exploit of the game - if you see someone doing it, it sure looks like it. I've read in other messageboards that it isn't. What are all your thoughts on it?
    Out of curiousity, are you GregN from the neo geo forums?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chronodriftersx
    What about this question

What are your thought on Braking in mario kart ds?
    Now that is cheating. Braking can cause you to loose the race and if someone is behind you they will crash into you and also loose. Braking should not be in Mario Kart DS. I really think Nintendo overlooked this braking thing.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We got this topic covered

Thanks Darren.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77323

Locky.
    #vbender