Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IV Advance vs. FF IV PS1 (FF Chronicles)

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Default Final Fantasy IV Advance vs. FF IV PS1 (FF Chronicles)

I know that Final Fantasy IV Advance has been out in stores for about a month now, but before picking it out, I have a question that needs to be answered:

How different is it from the PS1 remake (on Final Fantasy Chronicles)? If I have FF Chronicles, is it still worth picking up FF IV Advance (aside from the portability factor)? Or are the enhancements not enough to warrant shilling out money on the GBA remake?

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Well, there is the added dungeon after the ending (which I have no desire to go through), but now at the very end, after you fight the four fiends in a row you'll have the option to switch characters before heading back to the moon, so you can beat it with Yang, Palom, Porom, Edward, Cid, and maybe even Tellah, I'm not sure.

But, all that aside it's the best version of the game. The graphics are all perfectly translated, and the retranslation makes the game actually make sense. I played through this game countless times as a kid and I never remembered some of the major plot points.

It doesn't really give more depth to the characters, but it does fill them out rather well. The only complaint is that one random townsfolk says he's going to find "phat loot!" and on some rare occasions you'll get a little lag in the battles when selecting options or targets. Other than that, it's perfect. Most importantly the music hasn't suffered an inch.

But according to my sig, title, and avatar, I'm totally bias anyways.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I've read that it's based on the original, harder, Japanese FF IV instead of the dumbed-down FF II that was released on the SNES here. I don't remember: on which version of the game was the FF Chronicles version based on?

At least, it's not like for Dragon Warrior I+II, and Dragon Warrior III, which were made much easier on the GBC remakes...

Then again, I guess that if there's a remake of Chrono Trigger ever released in portable form for GBA or DS, I can do with FF Chronicles what I did with FF Origins after FF I+II Dawn of Souls came out, and give my copy to my best friend Julie.

And actually, your "bias" is perfect to answer my questions, since you're such a fan of FFII/IV. Therefore, you're best placed to compare the three versions of the game and say how they fare against one another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played all three versions (SNES/PS1/GBA) to completion, and I think the GBA one is the worst. The slowdown in battles is really, really bad, like Double Dragon 2 on NES bad. It drove me crazy. And the new dungeons (there are two) suck. And the new translation isn't that great, either.

And for the record, the people you can put in your party at the end of the game are Palom, Porom, Yang, and Edward (yeah, like someone would want to put that douche bag in their party for the final battle). No Tellah, Golbez, FuSoYa, or anyone like that.
    Feedback thread here

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sirhansirhan
    I've played all three versions (SNES/PS1/GBA) to completion, and I think the GBA one is the worst. The slowdown in battles is really, really bad, like Double Dragon 2 on NES bad. It drove me crazy. And the new dungeons (there are two) suck. And the new translation isn't that great, either.

And for the record, the people you can put in your party at the end of the game are Palom, Porom, Yang, and Edward (yeah, like someone would want to put that douche bag in their party for the final battle). No Tellah, Golbez, FuSoYa, or anyone like that.
    Wow, I think the PS1 version is the worst. Loading time suck on that one. I can deal with battle slow down, loading times I cannot.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler
    Wow, I think the PS1 version is the worst. Loading time suck on that one. I can deal with battle slow down, loading times I cannot.
    Yeah, loading times suck, too. I think the SNES version is the best.

The reason why the slowdown bothered me so much was that in the more heated battles I'd be jamming on down or A or something trying to cast a key spell in a short amount of time, but would wind up casting the wrong one because not all of the presses of down registered due to the slowdown, and stuff like that. I almost threw my Gameboy across the room a couple of times, and I love my Gameboy.
    Feedback thread here

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FFIV is my favorite final fantasy. I, too, own all the versions. I think if you're a fan, it's worth picking up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GBA version is the best, no contest. The battle slow-down is WAY over-played, probably by kids playing it illegally on an emulator.. and it's not even slow-down, it's more like hiccups which appear when you've got the Active Battle speed set to 1. Setting the speed to 3 allows the game to keep up with itself. The translation is crisp and clean and having proper spell and item names is a blessing, it gives it a much more mature feeling (not in the same sense of children's games like GTA "mature" mind you). The graphics are majorly touched up as well.. making it the best looking version as well. The sound is more or less the same with headphones or on a DS.. some songs have little bits changed and some sound effects are different, but no better, no worse in my opinion. The bonus dungeons are fun but are definitely "extra" material.. fun if you like playing RPGs to kill monsters and get treasure (what other reason is there, really?). Oh, and Edward rocks. A lot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edward actually kicks some ass once you get the cornet, although his other abilities are somewhat useless.

Going through the extra dungeon at the end of the game allows you to not only acquire new equipment for everyone, but some new abilities as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    I've read that it's based on the original, harder, Japanese FF IV instead of the dumbed-down FF II that was released on the SNES here. I don't remember: on which version of the game was the FF Chronicles version based on?
    Yes, what is the deal here exactly? I have long wondered.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

The FF Chronicles version of FFIV is based on the much harder Japanese one. However, the slowdown in that game drove me crazy to the point that I just ran through it. My levels were only in the 50's when I beat Zeromus... which is highly unusual for me... since I'm usually obsessed with powering up my party to the absolute max.

The idea of being able to switch out party members at the end is a welcome addition. Don't worry about them being weak... as their levels will reflect your current party's levels. Plus, there's an extra trial dungeon that opens up on Mount Ordeals that houses super powerful weapons and armor for Palom, Porom, Yang, Cid, and Edward... so the game brings them up to speed rather quickly. Personally, I thought it was exciting to do 2000 points worth of damage with Edward.

Currently, I'm going through the extra dungeon at the end... and loving every minute of it. You find some serious weapons and armor in this dungeon... as well as fight some seriously nasty baddies (Edge's trial REALLY sucked tho). Having played through FFIV countless times on the SNES back in the day, I can say that the extras added to the GBA version are a dream come true. Now if I can only get those stupid Flan Princesses to drop a pink tail... all will be right with the world.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have played through FF2 US more times than I can count, and FF4 for the GBA almost get to its level. Thing thing that pisses me off is the bug that makes it so that characters randomly attack to times in a row. It feels like cheating. Plus the ATB system is flawed so that the first person who gets their turn bar filled doesn't necessarily select first. There is some slow down, but seriously, I don't see how it hampers the game. The bonus dungeon is completely awesome, though I got totally wiped out in Cecil's scenario (though my party was Yang, Cecil, Edward, Palom and Porom).
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To anyone who's gone through the Lunar Ruins:

Can you redo a challenge after it's been completed? I did Rosa's challenge, and all I got was a stupid Elixir (sounds like a t-shirt....). I'm assuming I performed in a subpar fashion. I tried to do it again, but the door wouldn't open. Do I have to leave the Lunar Ruins and fight my way back down there, or am I totally fucked because I saved afterwards, or what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me it's a reason to play an old favorite again. i own the SNES version and haven't played it through in years. Out came the PS1 version and my FFII gaming was on again. Now out comes the GBA version and I'm bought it as well. For $30 it's (in my opinion), the best GBA RPG out there. I like this translation the best and thought the slight changes were a new take on an old favorite.

I can't wait for FFVI Advanced! (Never a big fan of FFV)

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    To anyone who's gone through the Lunar Ruins:

Can you redo a challenge after it's been completed? I did Rosa's challenge, and all I got was a stupid Elixir (sounds like a t-shirt....). I'm assuming I performed in a subpar fashion. I tried to do it again, but the door wouldn't open. Do I have to leave the Lunar Ruins and fight my way back down there, or am I totally fucked because I saved afterwards, or what?
    Just use up the Asura Grimoire and make your way back down and try it again. Rosa's trial took me a couple of tries.

I really like this version of FF4. Sure the lag annoys me a bit, but that's the only problem. Plus you can play it in the bathroom.

So far, I'm going for one of every item you can't buy in stores. I finally got the Goblin and Mind Flayer summon item.

I also made a "What the Siren Calls" list. You can view it here:

http://www.geocities.com/ddcecil3/1sirenff4final.txt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool list! Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

Has anybody else had their game freeze on them when acquiring the "Nirvana"? It's on the Lunar Ruins floor with all the dolls everywhere. If you fight and defeat every doll on the floor, a blue doll will appear near the exit. Defeat the blue doll, and a chest will appear. Inside is the Nirvana... and then the dang game froze. Had to turn off my DS and restart.

What is the "Nirvana", and is it worth getting? Cuz frankly... it takes a long time to kill all those dolls... even with party members near level 80... and I'd rather not do it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior
    Has anybody else had their game freeze on them when acquiring the "Nirvana"? It's on the Lunar Ruins floor with all the dolls everywhere. If you fight and defeat every doll on the floor, a blue doll will appear near the exit. Defeat the blue doll, and a chest will appear. Inside is the Nirvana... and then the dang game froze. Had to turn off my DS and restart.

What is the "Nirvana", and is it worth getting? Cuz frankly... it takes a long time to kill all those dolls... even with party members near level 80... and I'd rather not do it again.
    I got it twice, and my game never froze up (Playing on the DS). It is a staff for Porom and casts Reflect in battle.

About the dolls: On the 3 Grudge Puppets, use Break which works 95% of the time. On the Death Puppet, use Tornado.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior

I got it twice, and my game never froze up (Playing on the DS). It is a staff for Porom and casts Reflect in battle.

About the dolls: On the 3 Grudge Puppets, use Break which works 95% of the time. On the Death Puppet, use Tornado.

Thanks for the info. I'll try that next time I get to that floor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woo-hoo! I finally got a Pink Tail (after using 271 sirens, and fighting many, many Flan Princesses). I'm happy Anyone else ever get one without cheating?