Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DS vs PSP which is your Fav and why?

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS vs PSP which is your Fav and why?

I have been around on many forums, and I always see flame wars over which is better, and which is more powerful. I was curious as to why or what makes you like the system you like. If you like the DS better, why? If the PSP is your cup of tea, how come? I just wanted to see how people felt. I like both systems, but have to say I am privy to the PSP, simply because I like playing a game that semi-resembles my current home console, not that the PSP is EXACTLY like the PS2, but its a nice change of pace. The DS is nice because they have some good games and the touch screen is a very nice touch...lol. Anyway, thats my take whats your's
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DS, and no it is not because my name is Captain Nintendo. :P

The game selection and quality of game is better IMO.
    quality does not mean graphics mind you

I would like to have a PSP, but there really hasn't been a game that has made me say OMGWTFBBQ! I gotta get that.

The PSP looks sleek and pretty , but it isn't as sturdy as the DS though.

You could "point / counter point" this topic all day. (no thanks)

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DS.

Why? Because of the games of course.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I guess if I have to choose one or the other, I'll take the DS. The carrying case I have allows me to carry games with the system-so it goes almost everywhere with me. Plus, there are more open-ended puzzlers and other games that are perfect for quick gaming sessions. Like on the can.

The only thing I get out of my PSP is Lumines and emulation-which by no means is weak-but I just don't take it with me since it's so fragile and expensive. Besides, when I play Lumines it isn't exactly a quick thing.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Cherry (Level 1) atari_overlord's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am going to have to go with the DS on this one. I had both but recently sold my PSP to fund another DS and a ton of games.

There just wasnt anything coming out for the PSP that excited me. Every game that I bought for it I just ended up selling back rather quickly. (Except Lumines and Ridge Racer)

The DS just has more of the type of games that I enjoy. Fast paced quick fun creative games. And I am kind of a Mario Kart whore.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

excellent points, I didn't start this thread to start any flame wars, or to go into debates, just wanted open opinions, for curiosity sake, and so far, so good. Thanks.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the DS, simply for the abundance of games. While there are a few games on the PSP I would like to own (portable Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout come to mind), the variety on the DS is amazing. If they had put an analog stick on it, I think it would be my perfect system.

It's a shame really that the PSP hardware is so nice and the pricepoint for that type of machine is really good that they seem destined to waste it on less than stellar gaming. The movies don't appeal to me and it would only take me one hand to count the games that I personally would buy. I love my PS2 and wanted to like the PSP, but Sony really played some cards wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DS.

It has good games.

But to be honest, I do think the game selection is better, mainly because most of the titles are just made well, or they offer some new type of gameplay, like Trauma Center for instance.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

DS for the games. The whole pay $24.99 for a movie that i can only watch in a PSP when the DVD is practically the same price hasn't won me over. Although for some strange reason they're a success. It's like trying to explain Rod Stewarts continued survival. You just can't.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I honestly can't see myself owning a PSP for a very long time. I know it's a Sony system, and I know there will be a shitload of RPG's I need to buy for it... but for now there are a whopping 2 and a half RPG's that I care about, and even then it's not even close to worth the pricepoint. As for the rest of the library... meh. It's all the same crap we've been playing for the past 5 years on the PS2. It's all been done, and now their ace in the hole is even going to be released on PS2... all the incentive is just gone.

The extra features don't interest me, especially UMD movies and movies off a memory stick because I simply can't stand the screen. I watched some of Kung Fu Hustle on it (which kicks a serious amount of ass) and the blur is just unbearable. I'd hate to see what a game like God of War would look like on the PSP I already have an iPod as well, so the mp3 playback is completely useless for me.

As for the DS, the selling point is the games, for sure. I can't tell you how much fun I've had with oddball games like Pac n Roll (execpt for that homosexual last level, it's impossible), Trace Memory, and now Phoenix Wright. I was pleased to see some great import impressions of Byte Hell 2000 for PSP, but I doubt we'll ever get our hands on it stateside.

Extending that with serious AAA titles like Advance Wars, Castlevania, and Mario Kart, and not only do you have a well rounded game system, you have a durable dual-system with two excellent quality screens (although I've been completely spoiled by the micro) and a rapidly growing library of games that are both great for their core gameplay and for portability.

Top it off with single-cart multiplay on nearly every game that has multiplayer combined with an already unique and still growing rapidly install base and you've got a key pillar to Nintendo success. I can't say much about WiFi because my router at home isn't a "supported" router, but I've not had much desire to play online as it is. Once the WiFi titles really get moving, mainly the puzzle games, it'll be a tough package to beat according to ANY gamer.

I'd also like to point you all to this thread here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27252

That was posted by Zach Meston the day the DS was announced, and I was obviously totally against it, as were most of the people in that thread, and I'm sure the large portion of us have all become believers.

I'd like to become a PSP believer, but at $250 with a still very small library with no huge titles on the horizon (GT4 may have even been canned), where's the incentive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

DS. It's cheaper and there are more games for it that I want to play. However, it took awhile to get there as many of the early games were gimicky. I bought one at launch which was silly...

When the PSP drops in price and get more original content suited to portable play, I will be more interested in it...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist

That was posted by Zach Meston the day the DS was announced, and I was obviously totally against it, as were most of the people in that thread, and I'm sure the large portion of us have all become believers.

Wow, thats a nasty thread.

hezeuschrist....... You didn't sound to thrilled with the DS in that thead

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by captain nintendo
    Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist

Wow, thats a nasty thread.

hezeuschrist....... You didn't sound to thrilled with the DS in that thead
    All it takes is a small handful of great titles to determine the long term fate of the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like both of them alot but DS gets the win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like my DS just fine.
    There's a fair number of good games, not to mention GBA compatibility, battery life is good, and the price is reasonable.

The PSP has poor battery life, slow LCD response, and a hefty price tag. I used to bash the PSP's pathetic game library, but it looks it's finally coming around. Once the hardware and cost issues are sorted out, I think it'll be a great platform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I'll say it. The PSP. Love the big screen and the awesome graphics. Also dig being able to play just about every emulator out there on it. Watching movies on it is great too.

I HATED the DS when it first came out. Now that some better games are coming out now, I'm starting to warm up to it. Still like the versatility and hardware of the PSP more though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PSP

I hated the DS becasue it was a N64 with touch screen
    i hate that in my opion the screens are reversed
    i do not like the touch screen
    the only game i like is nanostray
    i realy hoped it would fail to teach N a lesson so that they would come up with somethign beter next time - but i can see im a minority in this

also i went in with a negative out look becasue i felt so jaded by the GBA (it is my favorite handheld currently but i feel i was lied to by nintendo)

but i dont own the psp any more either- i cant stand the suposed analog control and they dont have enough games i like on it

but i like the screen - i like the feel - but i dont like the controls -

if at the very least the screens were reversed on the ds i may have liked it better

so far i hope the GBA keeps on living longer
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    also i went in with a negative out look becasue i felt so jaded by the GBA (it is my favorite handheld currently but i feel i was lied to by nintendo)
    Man, I was going to yell at you but your title kicks so much ass.

Why do you feel Nintendo lied to you?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I've only owned a PSP for a month now, and I've had my DS for almost a year, but my vote goes to...

PSP

I look at it this way: The DS does a good job of recreating Super Mario 64 in portable form. The PSP does a good job of creating Grand Theft Auto in portable form. GTA isn't as *perfect* as SM64 is, but I'm much more excited about playing a PS2 era game in portable form than I am an N64 game.

I've also, admittedly, become more of a fan of Sony over Nintendo in the past generation or so. The DS games are fun, but I keep thinking "gimmick" when I play it. I'd rather play Sonic on the PSP (with the one screen) than look back and forth.

I also like the extras the PSP has - I've got some movies on there, an album (Pac-Man Fever of course ), and a couple of photos of my kid. Plus a NES emulator I really, really enjoy playing when I want something quick.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use my DS way more than my PSP. It is about the games. Yes, the PSP has much better graphics, but the game library (for my taste in games) has yet to shine. Yes, Burnout is fun and that Japanese drumming game is great, but the rest IMHO have been just so-so...

So, now I would say that you should by a DS, but in a year, my mind might change based on upcoming releases.

-Todd

www.eatanddestroy.com