Thread: Dreamcast helps bridge parental/age gaming gap!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast helps bridge parental/age gaming gap!

Last weekend I visited my parents, I had my dad help me w/ some snowblower repair. He turns 73 in a month & knew of/got me most of my games early on, but never actually played them.

He'd said previously he wanted to try the fishing game I took there on Xmas (Sega Marine FIshing w/ the fishing controller) but the half-dozen or so kids were all over it & no one else (the adults) got a chance to play.

So, when the repairs were done we went inside for some fishing action. I demonstrated at first, making the lure dance/move around to entice the fish. When he got his first strike & set the hook, he jerked the controller back so hard it popped out of the port! After a good laugh he really started getting into it. He's been an angler all his life & began using his "real-life" tactics on the game. He'd let the lure sit there ("that's the way you do it" he said) & I told him you have to move it around to catch anything.

I think he pulled in a few small ones (calling one a little sh-t ) before focusing on catching a mammoth sailfish. He discovered where they "hung out" (behind a large rock) & every time one swam by he'd shout "Ooh look! There he goes!" It was pretty entertaining for both of us.

We're not estranged or anything, we get along fine but I thought it was a good story about how gaming never gets old.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice story. If you can, hook him up with Pro Fishing Challenge for Xbox; it's a more realistic game in which real anglers can use their skill.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by squidblatt
    Nice story. If you can, hook him up with Pro Fishing Challenge for Xbox; it's a more realistic game in which real anglers can use their skill.
    It's also the owner of likely THE most shallow box art ever. Hot girl + little clothing = fishing? Always made my day in the game section a little easier, heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice story, i always love to read about people's gaming experiences. The Sega Bass Fishing games on Dreamcast might be a bit more up his street as the action isn't as hectic, less wiggling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My dad loves sega marine fishing too, and has been a salt water sportsman for almost all his life...

I bet he would also love reel fishing wild for dreamcast too, as long as he gets used to it.. Because the game is a lot different then the other fishing games on DC

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[/b]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope the Nintendo Revolution can do the same thing!

Nice Story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega Bass Fishing games on Dreamcast might be a bit more up his street
    Yes, my nephew has that & my dad's watched him play. I actually prefer SMF to the Bass game because there's more action & more of a variety of fish to catch. I think the fishing controller was the trick that did it. He's more comfortable holding a familiar device rather than a DC controller. Kinda like a light gun entices people to play shooting games.

I bet he would also love reel fishing wild for dreamcast too
    Yeah, I was telling him about that one, & was watching a couple eBay auctions for it at the time, but I didnt get it. Anyone have it for sale/trade? Make an old man happy!

Is it very similar to Reel Fishing on the Playstation? I have that one, but no fishing controller.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am under the impression that Reel Wild Fishing for Dreamcast does NOT support the fishing controller.

Can anyone confirm this?
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Barry Goldwater, 1964

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lessee- Natsume made Reel Fishing: Wild on DC, & the 3 Reel Fishing games for PS/PS2, they also made the PS fishing controller, so IMO it would follow that their fishing games are compatible w/ fishing controllers.

& IIRC, I recently read somewhere on the interwebs in a review that it was compatible. I was/am seriously considering getting it, & I dont think I would if it werent compatible.

EDIT: Here's a snippet from an eBay e-pinion (who didnt like the game very much):

"What is the point? At least in Marine/Bass fishing you could wiggle the lure around with the control stick. Here you can't. Your only hope is that somehow a fish will just randomly grab on. I have played this game for over 2 hours and have not even had a single bite. I talked to many other people who tried playing and they had the same problems. I spoke to one person who said it was slightly easier with a Fishing Rod controller but not by much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that is an awsome story -- i have to try that with my father

he abohors video games - makes faces at my collection every time hes over

the only one time he sat down with a game was when he thought fiifa socer (on the xbox ) was a real game on TV
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ty896
    I am under the impression that Reel Wild Fishing for Dreamcast does NOT support the fishing controller.

Can anyone confirm this?

It supports the fishing controller 100%

as for the guy who didnt like the game.. You need to tweak your lures and such many times, and yeah its hard to get a catch at first.. But once you get one, it gets much easier.. It is a really good game, if you have the patience.. Defiantly my favorite out of the DC fishing games...

It shouldnt take you 2 hours for a catch though, maybe 10 minutes tops?

Its a TON different then the other DC fishers...

How is sega bass fishing 2? Never played that one