Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is a complete collection a 'complete collection'?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What i find is that collect all official released games and pick up some obscure stuff along the way.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davepesc
    Staying on the sports cards, wouldn't you also need any error variations and all the special "chase cards" that drove me away from collecting.

As for a complete collection, again, it is whatever you want it to be.
    Agreed. One interesting thing that pops into my mind about this is my dad is has two huge collections -- non-sports cards and Star Wars figures. With the non-sports cards, his favorite set of all time is Mars Attacks, which he has in nice condition. Relatively recently, Topps re-released the set with updated cards, a few more new ones and other stuff (shortly before the movie). While this set is pretty nifty, it isn't the original. Finally, there was a set of cards released along with the movie.

His complete Mars Attacks set consists of the original set from 1962 and the newer set from 1994, which he likes both almost equally -- but the original Mars Attacks cards sell for a LOT more than the newer ones:

One original card at auction

20 newer cards

His collection does not include either the movie cards or the movie itself. It does however contain some of the toys that were based on the movie and cards that came out at the same time. Is his, "Mars Attacks" collection complete? Yes. Does he own everything that said, "Mars Attacks" on it ever made? No. He's missing things that he didn't feel were part of the collection he was trying to obtain.

I learned collecting from my father. I take the exact same stance. You're never done with a collection unless you decide you're done with a collection, and whatever you think qualifies for that collection is all that you need to get.

In the case of games, I think that if you are looking for a system, you need to get all of the licensed games that came out for the console, and in the case of the 2600 this would specifically be the ones from Atari. If you want to get anything else, it's up to you. My collections contain homebrews, new releases, imports, packaging variations, demos and just about whatever else that I find that interests me. It's up to everyone individually, as it is with every collection.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I personally meant by "small but modest" was that although it is small I have alot of not rare but very playable and well sought after titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ha, so far my only Lynx software is the AvP "proto" and some RPG game "proto" on boards. There isn't even a case for the damn things.

If anybody wants 'em, write me up...

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Its only complete when your dead. That is unless someone takes over your collection and continues to aquire more items for it. That or when you say it is.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

It's complete in MY MIND, when I have collected all the games that I enjoy for the system. I guess I collect different, but thats how I am. I have no real hunger to collect games that I will never play.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: When is a complete collection a 'complete collection'?

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    I was just going to complete my Lynx collection, I am missing 5 titles:

PA2088..Battlezone 2000, PA2091..Fat Bobby, PA2046..Hyperdrome, PA2078..Raiden, PA2093..Super Asteroids/Missile Command

But then there is Songbird, bringing out more and more games. eg:
    As much as I give Carl credit for all his work on Atari games, the aforementioned 5 titles will complete your collection, for most collectors, complete collection is every game that's officially released,. ie - for Neo-Geo AES, having every game made for it by SNK will count, coversions from MVS only titles don't, unless you ask people selling those games of course, neither does variants count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero
    It's complete in MY MIND, when I have collected all the games that I enjoy for the system. I guess I collect different, but thats how I am. I have no real hunger to collect games that I will never play.
    Well said that's my view on it also

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. I will only keep what I play, but my goal is to play every NES game at least once. I know there are games that I know I will hate (Dance Aerobics, etc) but I still want to play them.

I have never owned the 3 Panesian games, but I have played them.

I figure Stadium Events will be the hardest to play, since I don't know anyone who owns it and its way out of my price range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hello old topic! But yes, I think that's a decent goal. I wouldn't BUY all these games, though, even if you can sell them later you're ending up spending some money on stuff you didn't keep, and there's emulation for that.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default More views

As for homebrew titles, I don't think they are necessary. Unless somebody is on the internet regularly, they will never even know these games exist. How is a person who maybe had a bunch of Lynx games supposed to know about them if they don't bother researching it online?

Sure, there have been stories in major gaming magazines but those are few and far between. It isn't fair to classify a collection as incomplete if the collector never even heard of later day Lynx titles.

It really should be based on games or accessories that the average person was able to walk into a store and purchase while the system was still being sold commercially. That is not an unreasonable classification. Even Tony Hawk 3, supposedly released months after the N64 was presumed "dead", made it into Walmart and K-Mart.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say all of the games for a given system in your language and each of the games that weren't translated to your language including any games with changes such as Zelda for FDS and Super Mario 3. For the nes I would include all the FDS games as part of a complete NES collection.

I would also include important official controllers and devices for the system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it seems there is never a "complete" collection, but who knows maybe there can be.... you can always think of something else that would make it "complete"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

^This is how I collect. I kinda rate each game and try and get each title that rates around 7/10.

As far as when is it complete....you have to decide that when you start to collect. Take NES for an example. Are you going to collect every offfical NTSC released(licenced & unlicenced) game or collect repos and homebrew. You could collect just the sports games or just Tengen games. It is what ever you decide you are collecting. Then you have the issue of boxes, instructions and inserts. You should decide that up front.

Personally I considered a complete NES collection every officially released game. Without box/instruction. Most people say I have a complete collection meaning just cart. If they have box and instruction, they say I have a complete collection INCLUDING box/instruction. You wouldn't have to say box/instruction if it was included as a complete collection.

Alright, now I am confused.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with most of the other people and say it's complete when you have all the games that were released "for sale" in retail stores when the system was still being sold. After market and homebrew's are cool don't get me wrong but i don't count them as games to have to count your collection as complete.
    listen......you smell something??

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's only complete when it's complete.

Seriously though, for me it's complete when I have all the games that I want. I see no need to own every game ever released for a system. That to me says that you are too indecisive to choose which games you really don't want.

But if I did think that it was necessary to own every game ever made for a system, then I would say owning every official release during the system's lifespan is sufficiently complete. Owning every official release after the system's lifespan as well is sufficiently complete and dedicated. And owning all of the above plus every proto is insane, unless you happen to work in the industry and so had reasonable access to all of those protos. But really, if you're a proto collector, shouldn't you have every beta version of every game ever made? And what about the build numbers for betas? Shouldn't you have every build of every beta also?

Back to the subject of aftermarket releases, if you are a true fan of a console, or even just a true collector of a console, you will find out about all the aftermarket releases one way or another. So just because it was never sold in brick & mortar stores is no excuse not to own it as well.

I would say the only aftermarket releases that don't really count would be ones that were released in such limited quantities that even the most dedicated of collectors shouldn't be expected to own them. Like all those ones that were only sold at CGE and there were like 25 copies. Screw that bullshit. That's just a few hobbiest geeks who wanna have something that hardly anyone else has. It's obviously not intended for most to be expected to own it.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!