Thread: What are the chances???

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What are the chances???

I sold an MSX HX-10 computer the other week on eBay - here it is

The buyer paid for it and then I get an email asking him if I used "stock pictures" from the Internet or something, as he noticed

THIS ITEM

Which is quite amazing.. another HX-10 in exactly the same condition as mine, even with an additional joystick (appears not to be pictured)

What are the chances of that..? To make the chances even more astronomic.. it seems that this guy LIVES IN THE SAME HOUSE AS ME! - I can see our conservatory tiles and the sheet I use for taking my pictures in the photo!

Wait a minute...

PICTURE AND DESCRIPTION THEFT!!!

Gotta love eBay....

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe its a unknown guy you dont know about that lives in your house

Seriously tho, you can report it to ebay. Im pretty sure I've seen a own section on copying others pictures and auction descriptions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, it seems as if they have stolen your picture. I'd contact E-Bay, and they should pull the auction.

I wish that the picture was linked to your main picture. That would be sweet, to be able to swap pictures with something bad

Tony

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is using someone else's pictures bad?

I use amazon's pictures. Am I wrong to do so?

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Maybe its a unknown guy you dont know about that lives in your house

Seriously tho, you can report it to ebay. Im pretty sure I've seen a own section on copying others pictures and auction descriptions.
    Well, I checked around and I dont see anyone about, I asked my dad and he doesnt have an identical MSX, or even an eBay account

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Yeah I've seen it before as I get my pictures/descriptions copied from time to time.. even directly linked to!

Quote Originally Posted by godsey1
    Yep, it seems as if they have stolen your picture. I'd contact E-Bay, and they should pull the auction.

I wish that the picture was linked to your main picture. That would be sweet, to be able to swap pictures with something bad
    Yeah, I already contacted them, lol! Yeah if he had of directly linked I could of changed it to a big pair of mammaries or something.. that would of been funny!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    Why is using someone else's pictures bad?

I use amazon's pictures. Am I wrong to do so?
    Hey kevin, well using someone elses pictures IS bad.. I mean, I spend a lot of time arranging the games/systems etc, cleaning and banding up the wires, getting the sheet down and the positioning and light just right - not to mention an expensive camera

JUST for someone to come along, right click and upload my pictures into his auction..

When selling hundreds of unique items, the time taken really mounts up!

Not to mention the fact that allthough he says the system he is selling is "mint" in reality it is probably worn, and not looking as good as mine or perhaps he would of bothered to take his own pictures!

However, I think what you do is fine kevin, as amazon simply uses "stock" pictures, i.e. a scan of the front of a game, but for items such as the ones I sell I always take pictures of the real thing..

In fact, I should probably "watermark" my pictures in some way.. either digitally or include a piece of paper with my username..! (does anyone else do this.. how does the digital method work?)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been forced to watermark the pictures on my site because people were stealing them for ebay. Not cool, especally when they steal someting that's one of a kind!

I just put a transparent image of my banner over all of my large pics, and i leave the thumbnails alone. So far, so good. No one has taken any since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The biggest problem that I have with people "STEALING" pictures, is that some of the time, what their selling looks like shi*.

It also shows that the seller is lazy, and it makes me wonder if they are that lazy about the pictures, then how slow are they going to be about shipping my stuff out.

I will not bid or buy used gaming stuff without auctual pictures.

I guess that all of my pictures are bad, as I have never seen an auction that the seller was stealing my pictures.

Tony

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weeks after I sold it, I happened across a guy who had stolen my pic of a Contra Force Cart

I also found a guy who had copied and pasted my whole description for a large lot of games
    blah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it only me or is anyone else eventually getting routed to Microsoft.com when they click on the first link (your auction)?. I'm using Firefox as a browser so it shouldn't be an IE thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the "Page Not Found" error, so I got the item number and did a search for it.

Tony

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Asked seller this question:

"Do you have a picture of the item you are selling? I know the guy who sold that computer, and he said no one else lives with him or was allowed into his kitchen to take pictures."
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Report them and their auction will be pulled. People steal pictures of my items all the time and I report them, within a day, the auction is gone. Here is a link:

LINK

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Is it only me or is anyone else eventually getting routed to Microsoft.com when they click on the first link (your auction)?. I'm using Firefox as a browser so it shouldn't be an IE thing.

Hmm.. works fine for me! I use FireFox too!

Quote Originally Posted by davepesc
    Asked seller this question:

"Do you have a picture of the item you are selling? I know the guy who sold that computer, and he said no one else lives with him or was allowed into his kitchen to take pictures."
    ! I actually did send a message to them threatening legal action (in a polite way!)

Looks like it worked as they have now bothered to take their own pictures! About 50% of their other auctions had stolen pictures too.

Quote Originally Posted by philosophyst
    Report them and their auction will be pulled. People steal pictures of my items all the time and I report them, within a day, the auction is gone. Here is a link:
    Yeah, I already did that, I never seem to get any kind of action/response from eBay the past few weeks.. I must be on their "ignore" list or something..

Some guy tried to scam me over an item, and I reported them - their name, telephone number and address was fake. I also discovered that the same person had 3 banned accounts - eBay did nothing despite me reporting it twice and contacting the uk reception!

x_x