Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't it suck when thrift stores have a game.....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Doesn't it suck when thrift stores have a game.....

that you want, but they are charging like twice it's going price on Ebay? I mean, alot of times you expect to get games at a thrift store for about $2 or maybe $3, and usually they price all their games at that price regardless if it's a crappy sports game, or a harder to find action game, but sometimes I go to a thrift store and see a game that I've been interested in, I see it complete with good instructions etc,etc, but then they have a price of $6 on it or something like that, when the game is only worth 50 cents loose and maybe $2 complete.

It sucks, because you really want to make your trip worth it, you want to come home with something, but it's hard to pay more for something at a thrift than what you would pay for the same item on Ebay. Usually thrifts will get you some really good deals, but I've noticed that alot of thrifts are more hip to the game now, and they price their items alot higher. A place like GameCrazy has tons of Genny games for $1 or so each loose, yet at thrifts I see the same games being sold for $5. It makes it kinda discouraging to go to thrifts very often.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's how it is where I live. I've never found any good games at thrift store, pawn shops around here. They all think $20 is a fair price for a loose Sonic 2 cart, and that Dreamcasts are still worth $150.
    Resident Evil Themed Rock & Roll HEX CRANK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if its a game im looking for, and its complete, i dont mind paying 5 or so dollars. thrift stores arent ebay in at least the money you spend there is going to charity rather than some ebay whore.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Re: Doesn't it suck when thrift stores have a game.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    that you want, but they are charging like twice it's going price on Ebay? I mean, alot of times you expect to get games at a thrift store for about $2 or maybe $3, and usually they price all their games at that price regardless if it's a crappy sports game, or a harder to find action game, but sometimes I go to a thrift store and see a game that I've been interested in, I see it complete with good instructions etc,etc, but then they have a price of $6 on it or something like that, when the game is only worth 50 cents loose and maybe $2 complete.

It sucks, because you really want to make your trip worth it, you want to come home with something, but it's hard to pay more for something at a thrift than what you would pay for the same item on Ebay. Usually thrifts will get you some really good deals, but I've noticed that alot of thrifts are more hip to the game now, and they price their items alot higher. A place like GameCrazy has tons of Genny games for $1 or so each loose, yet at thrifts I see the same games being sold for $5. It makes it kinda discouraging to go to thrifts very often.
    I don't have any (game) thrift stores in my area that I know of..

Many times at the Flea market= they are charging like twice it's going price on Ebay..(too many times)

Last week a vendor I know hands me a loose SMB deluxe GBC cart that I have several of(flea $1.00)..He says $15.00 for you....
    .WHAT!! x_x
    He handed it to me like I was going to buy it too..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have a local pawnshop that completely changed their SNES and NES game prices about 2 years ago. When I asked why their reply,

“We’re now using internet pricing.”

Basically that translates to them going on eBay, finding the absolute highest price that a game is going for and making that their price. This would not be a huge deal but figuring that they have around 200 NES and close to that many SNES titles, many of them killer, it really sucks. All their NES games are $10 and up, all their SNES are $15 and up. No bargaining, no budging. I go in from time to time to see if they’ve changed their mind but nope, no luck. Strange…they never sell any…

And to think, I once bought titles like Final Fantasy and River City Ransom from them for $1 each.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pretty much all my "finds in the wild" are from thrifts around here. and the pricing scheme is generally anywhere from $1 to $5, never really seen anything priced more than that. but i have a few rules... unless it's really rare, i won't even touch a genesis game unless it's complete. call me picky. and even then, i generally try to keep any genesis game i buy under $3. sometimes that means waiting until the correct "weekly colored price tag" which is usually 3-4 weeks. sometimes they'll be gone by then, sometimes not. NES i'm somewhat less picky on. as long as it's got a nice label, i'll spend $3-4 on a loose cart, no problem, as long as i don't have it. buying tradebait i try to keep it cheaper than that, no more than $2. anything else is case by case.... NES and Genesis are what pop up the most around here.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess it depends how much you want the game really and the condition.

If its pristine mint, and you really want that game I'd go for it, but if its loose and in shoddy condition, pass, it'll come again.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep in mind you don't have to pay an additional $4 to $7 shipping for the game you find in the thrift store either.

Maybe it's just me but I've always believed that almost any game was usually worth more than the $1-$3 we have come to expect from thrift stores. When we find a great game for a buck it generally isn't because the game is only worth a buck, it's usually because the seller was ignorant of what the game's real value is. This is part of there reason why there's a regular "finds" thread here, to brag about the game that you just got a great deal on. Nobody brags about a game that they paid the regular going price for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    if its a game im looking for, and its complete, i dont mind paying 5 or so dollars. thrift stores arent ebay in at least the money you spend there is going to charity rather than some ebay whore.
    i SOOOOOO agree with you.... If it is one that you want, and they have it...consider the potential rip off ebay whore that will stick you on shipping or send you what you "won" that is NOT what was described / shown online, OR even worse that they not even send it at all but take your funds

... VS. just outright buying it and contributing to a very worthy cause in the process...

PLUS, if they stay around (the thrift shop) you may score again in the future...
    GRAB that rarity away from the LOSER in front of you at that garage sale... they do not DESERVE it

Life is short... Take what you can...

"mine mine mine"...D. Duck

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    We have a local pawnshop that completely changed their SNES and NES game prices about 2 years ago. When I asked why their reply,

“We’re now using internet pricing.”

Basically that translates to them going on eBay, finding the absolute highest price that a game is going for and making that their price. This would not be a huge deal but figuring that they have around 200 NES and close to that many SNES titles, many of them killer, it really sucks. All their NES games are $10 and up, all their SNES are $15 and up. No bargaining, no budging. I go in from time to time to see if they’ve changed their mind but nope, no luck. Strange…they never sell any…

And to think, I once bought titles like Final Fantasy and River City Ransom from them for $1 each.
    I'd keep going there if i were you.... they will run out of room, and one day...one magical great day (for you) they will have to clear them out for all of the new stuff that neo cool gamer zombies want to buy (360, etc...).

THEN.... you will be a VERY happy person...

be patient, and become a regular there.... make a friend or two...

then post on your KILLER day of clean out buying here!
    GRAB that rarity away from the LOSER in front of you at that garage sale... they do not DESERVE it

Life is short... Take what you can...

"mine mine mine"...D. Duck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes! Be patient! Ive managed to get my claws into quite a few game deals simply because I understand that (1)time is generally on my side(2) most people are too lazy to go through with selling their shit online(3) they know Ill give them cash now.

Yes I know we are talking about stores, but the same applies.
    Buddy up with some employees for sure.
    Vectors, pixels & polygons

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think even worse than that is when employees disregard store policy and snipe the best ones for themselves before they hit the shelf, then again some shops don't even have a policy.

one of the Sally Ann's in this city has a policy of "if there's no price tag on it, we can't sell it" that can get in the way from time to time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I hate to say it, but becoming friends with one of the workers or a manager is your best bet. Myself, I've been on a first name basis with one of the local pawn shop for a few years and to be honest, it has been very good for me. I've managed to get a number of great games there for deals few ever could. Sometimes complete games, sometimes expensive ones even, but always at a damn good price. The fact they know I'm willing to spend good money doesnt hurt either as there have been a number of times I've spent the majority of a C-note on old games like the NES, SNES, and GEN. Not alot of people buy what they got, and not alot of people shop there either for what I want which means they know when I walk in I'm a low maintance customer who spends more per inch then the guy looking to buy that new lawn mower or TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Ack! Double post!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

It just depends on how bad you want the game. Even if it were just a Genesis sports game, if it were a game that for some reason I REALLY wanted, it was complete and in nice condition, then I'd plop down 5 or 6 bucks for it. Factor in a lack of shipping fees and the convenience. Now if it were just a game to fill a hole in my collection and I didn't really care about it one way or another, then I wouldnt pay that much. But then it wouldn't bother me to leave it there.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

the only game i have EVER seen at a thrift store was Final Fantasy for NES for a buck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

At this "trading post" near me, I have been In there a few times and looked at the games. They have a game that I considered picking up, a sealed copy of Wayne Gretzky & the NHLPA All Stars(SNES). Price marked---$25!! Weather it is sealed or not. sports games(there are some exceptions) shouldn't go that high in price, I mean I like sports games and all but that is nuts for that.

So yeah i agree.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ralph Wiggum's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Doesn't it suck when thrift stores have a game.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even worse, the thrift shop by me likes to print out completed ebay auctions, circle the selling price and charge that.

Now you all know why I cry when I see a newbie bidding war on a common game.

Also, (I don't go to the thrift much any more because of this) they like to write the price and rarity of the game on the label, box AND instructions. There's nothing like seeing RARE! in black marker on what would otherwise be a desirable game.

EDIT: to continue rant.

This place sells NES $8+ and Genny $5+ They use sites like this and AtariAge to gague rarity, but pay no attention to those sites' members' opinions on pricing. Atari is $3+ and the black marker, oh the black marker.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.