Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DS Lite RELEASED!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poopnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    That looks cool but I think i'm fine with the standard one, Nintendo why do you redesign everything? We don't have that much money
    They know we'll just find a way.

I have 5 designs of the GB (brick, pocket, color, advance, sp) and I really want a micro just because.

This thing just looks slick. I compare it to the difference between the brick and the pocket. The pocket was slick and its my favorite GB ever.
    I just find it ridiculous,

The N64 and GC are the only consoles not redesigned.

As far as handhelds the only one that they haven't redone is GBC.

1.Gameboy to Gameboy Pocket

2.Gameboy Advance to Gameboy Advance SP to Gameboy Advance Micro and The bright back-light SP

and that isn't even including the GB player.

Maybe Nintendo should spend more time with the Original design so they don't have to make updates. Obviously technology grows but still.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boy, this was 1 occasion to remember that the rumours got it right. Still a bit hard to swallow in a way.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to get one but I will wait until some cooler colours come out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

I'm sure the biggest reason for this is to make it look along the lines of the revolution. To really tie all of their brands together. Just a thought.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad I waiting to get a DS.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by poopnes
    That looks cool but I think i'm fine with the standard one, Nintendo why do you redesign everything? We don't have that much money
    They know we'll just find a way.

I have 5 designs of the GB (brick, pocket, color, advance, sp) and I really want a micro just because.

This thing just looks slick. I compare it to the difference between the brick and the pocket. The pocket was slick and its my favorite GB ever.
    I just find it ridiculous,

The N64 and GC are the only consoles not redesigned.

As far as handhelds the only one that they haven't redone is GBC.

1.Gameboy to Gameboy Pocket

2.Gameboy Advance to Gameboy Advance SP to Gameboy Advance Micro and The bright back-light SP

and that isn't even including the GB player.

Maybe Nintendo should spend more time with the Original design so they don't have to make updates. Obviously technology grows but still.
    That I actually find very suprising, considering it's physical design was probably the biggest blow to Nintendos "image" in the past 10 years.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sometimes a redesign can not only please the publicand fix issues, but also make the tooling for manufacturing cheaper, that way they can save both time and money in efficiency, turning a better profit/unit ratio for themselves.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.... Interesting, but I'm still very much on the fence about the DS. I don't really like the whole 2 screen concept. I think that it's more of a gimmick than anything, and I can't stand the idea of using some damn stylus to play a game.

I will say that one of the reasons I don't have a DS right now is because it's so damn bulky and awkward looking. I mean, from a comfort standpoint, while playing it. I just wish they would get rid of the second screen altogether. Then they wouldn't need a clam shell design, and then it could actually be comfortable. I know that all the DS lovers out there will think I'm a retard to suggest such a thing, but I must admit that playing games with a stylus and all that crap just doesn't appeal to me. KISS. (Keep It Simple Stupid) Most of the games that use two screens for the DS, just put a overhead map or some other crap on the second screen. Honestly, how many DS games could be played on 1 single screen? I know that certain DS games absolutely need the 2nd screen, but alot of them just use the 2nd screen for meaningless info or a overhead map or something like that.

You can call me a DS hater or whatever, but this unit just doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    but I must admit that playing games with a stylus and all that crap just doesn't appeal to me. KISS. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
    Care to tell me how any control mechanism could possibly be more simplistic than a touch screen? Point where you want to go, drag to where you want to go, point to the option you want to choose... there's nothing to learn.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist

Care to tell me how any control mechanism could possibly be more simplistic than a touch screen? Point where you want to go, drag to where you want to go, point to the option you want to choose... there's nothing to learn.

First of all, touch screens are great for ATM machines, but they don't belong in a video game system. I mean, explain to me how to play Super Mario Bros. 3 with a freaking touch screen! I guess a touch screen would be fine for some puzzle games or something, but I don't know how I would play a platformer or a shooter or anything like that with a touch screen. It's just dumb. Period. It's a gimmick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

You were insinuating that the touch screen was a complex mechanism, and it isn't.

As for playing platformers and shooters, only retards come to conclusions like that. How about puzzle games and UNIQUE TITLES? Something you seem to have no desire to play, you want to continue playing the same rehashed crap over and over, and thats fine. You don't want them to keep it simple, you want them to keep it familiar. Change scares you.

How about playing katamari with a touchscreen? That'd be great. Have you even TRIED the MP:Hunters Demo? it works rather well.

And for that matter, how do you play mario bros with a touch screen? You don't, which is why there is a Dpad and face buttons. That's like asking how you play Far Cry with an atari paddle.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I must admit that I'm not into puzzle games or slow paced RPG's or anything like that. I'm more of an action gamer. I like fast paced games with action. Using a touch screen with the type of games that I like, really doesn't make any sense at all, thus my lack of interest in the DS.

As for the Metroid Prime Hunters demo, I did "try" to play that game, but found the control scheme to be rather "screwy" to put it mildly. Using a pencil while playing a video game just isn't my idea of a good time. Now if I was playing Mario paint or something, then I could understand using a stylus, but other than that, I just don't see the use for it, other than for it's "gimmick" factor. I tried playing some racing game where you actually used your thumb on the touch screen to steer the car, and it was about the dumbest control mechanism I've ever seen.

The idea of a using 2 screens, and a touch screen screen and a stylus might be a heaven sent idea for some very weird and quircky games, but I'm just not into those kinda games too much, and I don't think it was a very good idea to design an entire system around some quircky games. Same thing with the Revolution's controller.

I'm not a Nintendo hater or anything, so don't get it twisted and don't take it personally. I'm just not very interested at all in the DS right now. Maybe that will change. Maybe not. Even though the Revolution controller is somewhat gimmicky as well, I'm much more interested in that system. It will be my 3rd system, after the PS3 and 360, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for the occasional game that makes really good use of that controller. But as for using stylus's and touch screens for video games, well, it just doesn't appeal to me. That doesn't mean that you should be offended by my particular views. If you love it, then by all means enjoy it to the fullest.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I'm not terribly upset. My current DS functions quite nicely; the only thing Ninty did was "sexy" it up a notch. I'm sure I'll probably eventually trade in and "upgrade" to the DS2, much like I did with my GBASP, but I won't feel like Nintendo's "forcing" me to buy a new system.

The buttons do look a bit bigger, and I have to give a "kudos" on that. That was my beef with the current model; the buttons are just a bit too small.

I will say this though... Nintendo would be wise to offer the new system at the same price point as the current one and not any higher.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

toss me into the group that's unimpressed...

1- there's not enough hardware changes to make it seem necessary. even the size and weight changes are minimal.

2- the look and name are both a little fruity, if you ask me. i'd feel more "cool" carrying around the current model than this one. the lite looks like a makeup compact and sounds like a diet soft drink.

3- i don't see the point? the current DS was already selling like gangbusters. sure, this will attract a small portion of people that were holding out for a sleeker model, but i'm willing to bet that one really awesome, must-own game would have done the same. it's the games that are more important anyway.

4- why do people hold out for the sleeker model? because we all know that it's coming! at what point does everyone stop buying nintendo consoles because they'll make a new one later? eventually this plan will backfire on them.

5- overall, i think redesigns like this foster bad consumer relations. too many people, especially the most recent to adopt it, get upset that their current one is now "obsolete" and blame nintendo. sure, you've created a new audience that wanted the sleeker model, but you've also secluded a lot of people. doesn't seem smart to me.

basically... the redesign idea is fine... but do it when the system is on it's way out. this would have been a great time for a gamecube redesign, not a DS one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by DocRamon
    toss me into the group that's unimpressed...

3- i don't see the point? the current DS was already selling like gangbusters. sure, this will attract a small portion of people that were holding out for a sleeker model, but i'm willing to bet that one really awesome, must-own game would have done the same. it's the games that are more important anyway.
    More than likely it's cheaper for Nintendo to physically produce, or will be in the long run. Not only that, but if it is they can still charge a premium right off the bat because it's "New" and make a killing.

It's still just a business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I think Nintendo's only reason for doing this was to match the Revolution style and get prepped for its launch. I think the thing is way too premature and doesn't need a new design, especially considering they are really only adding a new screen for $20 more. I'll buy it of course, but that's not to say Nintendo didn't half ass it.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    Personally I think Nintendo's only reason for doing this was to match the Revolution style and get prepped for its launch. I think the thing is way too premature and doesn't need a new design, especially considering they are really only adding a new screen for $20 more. I'll buy it of course, but that's not to say Nintendo didn't half ass it.
    It does look alot like Revolution, your right.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not going to lie I am going to break my DS in order to trade it in at ebgames. I bought the warranty so if I break it they will have to give me a new one.

Just to make sure does ebgames give the newer version of the hardware when you have purchased the warranty?

Well anyway does anybody know when the DS Lite will be released in the US?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danthemanuno
    I'm not going to lie I am going to break my DS in order to trade it in at ebgames. I bought the warranty so if I break it they will have to give me a new one.

Just to make sure does ebgames give the newer version of the hardware when you have purchased the warranty?

That is not a good thing to do. Break an old system for the new one, thats ridiculous. They'll be sure to give you the same system as well because they haven't stoped making the old one yet, don't expect to get a lite. If you break your iPod from 2003 they aren't going to give you a new iPod video as a replacment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by danthemanuno

I'm pretty sure that they will NOT give you a DS lite. They will order a replacement unit from Nintendo. Nintendo, and every other electronics company for that matter, has warehouses where they store replacement product for punks that try and screw them out of money.