Thread: *LOCK*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Default *LOCK*

I got my first credit card this week. I figure since I’m 21, it’s time to start building my own credit. I already own a debit card, and I already know NEVER to buy something you know you can never pay back in a decent amount of time. That being said, what should I buy to start off building good credit. I made a small list of things I wanted…

Ipod
    PSP
    Xbox 360…… (nahhh)
    Neo Geo AES ( Yea still haven’t got one)
    DS mini

Comments?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

off topic?

and i would say a hooker
    chuck norris roundhouse kicked someone so hard his foot broke the speed of light,went back in time,and killed amelia earhart while she was over the pacific ocean

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by lol monster
    off topic?

and i would say a hooker
    How is it off topic if it's gaming related? I think I would know since I've posted here a decent amount of time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Default Re: So I sold my soul to Satan for a….

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero
    I got my first credit card this week. I figure since I’m 21, it’s time to start building my own credit. I already own a debit card, and I already know NEVER to buy something you know you can never pay back in a decent amount of time. That being said, what should I buy to start off building good credit. I made a small list of things I wanted…

Ipod
    PSP
    Xbox 360…… (nahhh)
    Neo Geo AES ( Yea still haven’t got one)
    DS mini

Comments?
    Yeah don't fucking do it. You don't want to run up your credit card. If you want to build credit my advice to start paying your bills with your credit card and then pay it off immediately.

Only buy items on that list if you feel you can't live with out them.

Credit is a demon, don't let it grip you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Judging by the constant flood of needless one-or-two sentence posts lol monster makes in the off topic forum, he considers himself the king of the subject.

My vote would be for the DS.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's off topic and I'm with njiska. This is a horribly STUPID idea.

The advice for credit cards isn't "don't buy anything you can't pay back within a reasonable amount of time"
    It "don't buy anything you can't pay back THIS MONTH" If you can't pay it back in full, THIS MONTH, BEFORE your statement, don't buy it.

Frankly, I don't ever use credit cards. I have 2-3 in case of emergency, or for sales (Use sears card get xxx off) then pay it back the next day in full.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf

The advice for credit cards isn't "don't buy anything you can't pay back within a reasonable amount of time"
    It "don't buy anything you can't pay back THIS MONTH" If you can't pay it back in full, THIS MONTH, BEFORE your statement, don't buy it.

Frankly, I don't ever use credit cards. I have 2-3 in case of emergency, or for sales (Use sears card get xxx off) then pay it back the next day in full.
    It's NOT off topic, and I think you missed my point. My point was that if you obviously can't pay for the item in the near future(This month would be the idea since your statement is every month), then don't buy it. It's good to use it so I can get good credit. Which is what I"m starting to do.

Is everyone in flam mode today or what. Go ahead and lock the freakin thread if thats how it's gonna be.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

It's NOT off topic, and I think you missed my point. My point was that if you obviously can't pay for the item in the near future(This month would be the idea since your statement is every month), then don't buy it. It's good to use it so I can get good credit. Which is what I"m starting to do.

Is everyone in flam mode today or what. Go ahead and lock the freakin thread if thats how it's gonna be.
    Hey stop the bitching, when you asked this kind of question you should've expected this kind of answer. We're just trying to help you not fall into the pit. If you want to build credit use the card to pay your bills, but don't carry a balence, you don't need too.

Buying anything on the list on credit just for the sake of building a balence is a bad idea and everyone who has had a credit card for years, which is the brunt of people posting here, knows you're going to make a big mistake if you buy any of that on credit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by njiska

Hey stop the bitching, when you asked this kind of question you should've expected this kind of answer. We're just trying to help you not fall into the pit. If you want to build credit use the card to pay your bills, but don't carry a balence, you don't need too.

Buying anything on the list on credit just for the sake of building a balence is a bad idea and everyone who has had a credit card for years, which is the brunt of people posting here, knows you're going to make a big mistake if you buy any of that on credit.
    Not bitching, just kinda tired of recieving it. Anyway,

I understand what you are saying about just buying for the sake of it but it it decent enough if it's small items that I can pay off, and maybe possibly a few 100/200 items that I can pay of later that month?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go to jack in the box buy something from there 99 cent menu then after eating it go home and pay off your card.

Never ever ever ever ever hold a balance on your card that you cant pay off this month. Youll end up digging a deep hole that no one will help you out of.

I almost never use my card only for collage and thats only so I cant track what I spend on collage per semester. As long as you pay on time you will have a good credit history.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time I suggest buying something major that you can't pay off immediately is when there's a lengthy 'no-interest' period (this is why my one and only credit card is through Best Buy). And even then, be careful. I've come pretty close to screwing one of those up...it worked out fine in the end, but I was living with my fingers crossed for a great while.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

As mentioned before, if you can't afford those items in cash right at this moment, don't put them on a credit card. Simple as that.

And yes, do use it to make small purchases you would otherwise make with cash to build credit. Pay off your balance every month in full and you'll be fine.

I'm 23, I had one credit card and got dicked over on a bogus charge when I was 19 and cancelled the card and haven't had one since. I can't get a credit card in any capacity, at all. It's absolutely disgusting, so yes, use it, but only if you can pay for whatever you're using it to purchase at that exact moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I apologize for my comment earlier in this post. I was tired and got out on the wrong side of the bed.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's too bad your parents or someone else responsible with their credit didn't have the foresight to start your credit earlier by throwing your name on one of their cards and not telling you about it. This way by now you would have had excellent credit and more importantly more history. This is good advice to all young responsible parents out there.

Unfortunately at this point just making regular payoff payments on a credit card will not build your credit as fast or as favorably as say paying off a loan, rent, mortgage, etc. If your looking to build credit to buy a home in the near future this is the way to go. Otherwise yeah don't let it get out of control, just build it steadily and secure 0-low interest rates if possible.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only use mine for the internet. eBay fees go onto it, and then whatever I buy through paypal usually comes off of my card. I pay it off the end of every month, and I accidently overpaid one of my payments, so I have $30 worth of credit left on it, but I still plan on paying it off this month.

I don't know, I just dont like living, knowing that theres money on my card, not knowing how much, and a huge weight is lifted off your shoulders when it's a clean slate, and you are at a $0 balance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Buy what you want the most. No need to advertise that you got pocket change to spend on a new console. Why would you buy what people tell you to buy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ugh, I know all about that credit hole. I'm in that hole. If you're looking to build ggod credit then do as everyone has said and only buy what you can pay off that very month. You'll beat the interest if you have a grace period and you will establish good credit. The only time you should charge more than you can pay that month is an extreme emergency. For example, my brakes went bad earlier this week and I didnt have enough money to fix them. Since losing my job for not having transportation would be worse than carrying a balance, in that case it was cool to charge it. I racked up some major credit bills on food and diapers when my wife was sick and out of work. I really didnt have a choice, but the hole I'm in is no less painful just because it was necessary and not spent frivolously. I've sut most of my cards off now to get out. I left one open, in case my brakes go bad..... well not specifically for that, but that's what happened and that's what credit is for.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    Buy what you want the most. No need to advertise that you got pocket change to spend on a new console. Why would you buy what people tell you to buy?
    Not advertising, just thought it would make an intresting topic.... and the way the topic is leading I think maybe I should have put it in the "off topic" section now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity
    It's too bad your parents or someone else responsible with their credit didn't have the foresight to start your credit earlier by throwing your name on one of their cards and not telling you about it. This way by now you would have had excellent credit and more importantly more history. This is good advice to all young responsible parents out there.

Unfortunately at this point just making regular payoff payments on a credit card will not build your credit as fast or as favorably as say paying off a loan, rent, mortgage, etc. If your looking to build credit to buy a home in the near future this is the way to go. Otherwise yeah don't let it get out of control, just build it steadily and secure 0-low interest rates if possible.
    Well they just told me never to get one, and abuse one, because I think they have had problems in the past with it. I told them I won't buy something I can't pay for. In fact getting a debit card IMO was an excellent idea, because the concept is fresh in my mind that "this is the amount of money you have", so "this is all you can spend on your budget".

One question I do have for you guys is, is it ok if I buy something like an Xbox ( lol), knowing that buy the end of the month (since I get paid twice a month) that I'll have plenty of money to cover the expenses?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity

Well they just told me never to get one, and abuse one, because I think they have had problems in the past with it. I told them I won't buy something I can't pay for. In fact getting a debit card IMO was an excellent idea, because the concept is fresh in my mind that "this is the amount of money you have", so "this is all you can spend on your budget".

One question I do have for you guys is, is it ok if I buy something like an Xbox ( lol), knowing that buy the end of the month (since I get paid twice a month) that I'll have plenty of money to cover the expenses?

Yeah but be carefull of that you dont know when things wil pop up. Then you have a xbox that you cant quite payfor yet and the ammount you payed for it just jumped 25 percent. Paying 200 for an xbox is not fun.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o