Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekly / Weekend "Finds Threads" are changing.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just can't f*@kiing belive this; sure, the monthly thing is fine, but moderators only?!?! x_x This is probably all just because of that one n00b that made, like, three threads about his finds after he finally figured-out that his finds go into the finds thread. I mean no personal offense, man, but I'm just saying that you've probably been thinking 'bout this for a long time (I know; I have eyes).

Well, at least this will be a nice break from the ordinary. Is this really a good thing, however? Only time will tell fo sure...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

@ Esquire: I agree with that. i would say that finds that generate a conversation need their own thread. But a mod can just split it off into it's own topic if that happens. I just think that when you leave the decision up to the average DP user to use some discretion, you are going to end up with people starting a thread to announce that they found a complete copy of Pirates! Gold for $5.

@Christhegamer: This has been a probelm here for as long as I have been here, and I think I can speak for GAC when I say that this is not solely due to any recent events. Yes, it sucks that a mod has to be the one to create the finds threads, but this is due to abuse by people. Looks at the pattern. Based on how things have been going, if we have monthly finds threads instead of two per week, then we will have the attention whores starting the "Monthly Finds - March 2006" thread on February 22nd just because they don't want their find to go unnoticed.

Look at it this way, some forums including AA and RF Generation just have 1 finds thread. Period. Not one per week or month, but one for forever. I think that this will be a good system. It will be stickied so it will be easily noticed. I'll bet more people check the thread now than did in the past.

Chris

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah just to clarify, This was slated for earlier, but got pushed back until Feb 1. It really has gotten out of hand, and searching for a particular thread is a pain in the ass.

Again, if you think your find deserves it's own thread, feel free to PM me with it, and I will consider it. Don't just go and post it without asking, because it will be locked.

I am flexible for those who don't break the rules
    #vbender

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, why does everyone think this is such a big deal? Who cares, you find something, you post it in the finds thread. One thread per month.
    Stop whining.
    Resident Evil Themed Rock & Roll HEX CRANK

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the move to a monthly thread, and I believe that ALL finds should be welcome, not just the elite finds. I personally enjoy the pics, and knowing what everyone else likes to collect and are willing to pay for even common finds.

And although I think a monthly finds thread will be take quite a bit of patience to sort through, it definitely is alot better than a thread that is never-ending.

Allowing for exceptions on one-of-a-kind-finds threads is a smart move, as those types of finds are very interesting and can easily be lost in the monthly thread.
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, doesn't bother me either way really. I never really post game finds, if it comes up, it comes up. I sometimes read the OMG I FOUND A STADIUM EVENTS ON EBAY threads, but even then it's few and far between.

One thread per month though will definitly be good on keeping the I FOUND BLAH BLAH BLAH topics down, so kudos to whoever supported the move.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise
    A Halo Xbox for $40,

Irony, since I got the one I'm trying to get rid of for $50

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this is a good idea. What I don't like is postings of ebay buys. Anyone can go buy something on ebay and post about it. Not everyone finds good things at thrift stores or swapmeets.
    Viva la raza, y los putos que quieran pedo, que se metan el pinche dedo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler
    Yeah just to clarify, This was slated for earlier, but got pushed back until Feb 1. It really has gotten out of hand, and searching for a particular thread is a pain in the ass.

Again, if you think your find deserves it's own thread, feel free to PM me with it, and I will consider it. Don't just go and post it without asking, because it will be locked.

mh am i the only one in here who doesn't like this?? and i'm not even close to ever finding sth that would deserve it's own thread. if someone finds a sealed R10 colecovision hardware or sth like that, does he REALLY have to pm you first, wait 2 days for a reply and THEN post his find in a single thread long after his "wow, i JUST FOUND THIS" feeling has gone??!
    and why does ONE moderator have the right to decide what's worth it's own thread or not??! what if someone you absolutely dislike finds a borderline item? i really don't think this is fair, and imho it's not the way a board should be moderated :/... but obviously i'm alone on this...
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler

mh am i the only one in here who doesn't like this?? and i'm not even close to ever finding sth that would deserve it's own thread. if someone finds a sealed R10 colecovision hardware or sth like that, does he REALLY have to pm you first, wait 2 days for a reply and THEN post his find in a single thread long after his "wow, i JUST FOUND THIS" feeling has gone??!
    and why does ONE moderator have the right to decide what's worth it's own thread or not??! what if someone you absolutely dislike finds a borderline item? i really don't think this is fair, and imho it's not the way a board should be moderated :/... but obviously i'm alone on this...
    I dont wanna take sides, but i agree with Hydr0x on this...

I mean sure, we all get that awesome feeling if we find something great, but something really great like the example Jan gave about sealed R10 stuff really needs to be put on straight away in my opinion too...

Obviously if you find a mummified Nintendo employee or a fossilied proof of the Sonic the Hedgehog species then i think thats obvious that it needs a thread...

However i can understand the reasoning behind these rules, as where do you draw the line for a Rare find and a Holy Grail...
    Another man's trash is another mans treasure...
    I was psyched to get Man Overboard (Megadrive) complete yesterday, its a mere R5 in the guide, however ive looked for ages for it... To me its above rare, but to others it isnt...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    It's funny, I've been waiting for you to comment on this because I knew that you were going to complain about it. I like you man (sortof), but it seems to me like you complain an awful lot, especially when anything is changed around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cauterize

I dont wanna take sides, but i agree with Hydr0x on this...

I mean sure, we all get that awesome feeling if we find something great, but something really great like the example Jan gave about sealed R10 stuff really needs to be put on straight away in my opinion too...

Obviously if you find a mummified Nintendo employee or a fossilied proof of the Sonic the Hedgehog species then i think thats obvious that it needs a thread...

However i can understand the reasoning behind these rules, as where do you draw the line for a Rare find and a Holy Grail...
    Another man's trash is another mans treasure...
    I was psyched to get Man Overboard (Megadrive) complete yesterday, its a mere R5 in the guide, however ive looked for ages for it... To me its above rare, but to others it isnt...
    Why is it some sort of insult for people to have to group their finds with the finds of others? Why does eveyone's find need it's own thread? I have made some pretty f-ing awesome finds in the wild and I don't think I have ever started a thread with them. I just put 'em in the finds threads.

Look, here's what's most likely going to happen. You are going to be out looking for stuff, find a selaed Caltron 6-in-1, PM GAC asking if you can start a thread, get a reply 10 minutes later saying "Sure, go ahead! Congrats!" and that is going to be the end of it. Why it is being suggested that it would take him 2 days to get back to you, or that he would let personal feelings get in the way of his moderation of the forum is beyond me. What has he ever done to give anyone that impression??? He's been moderating the VG forums for like 2 or 3 weeks. Give the man a chance.

It seems like this resistance to change happens anytime something is changed even a little bit around here. Remember when Joe added all the features to the boards last year like the arcade and meseta? Or when the VG forum got split in half? We all got used to all of it, and chances are that most of us now would not want things changed back to the old way. You guys should just give this new system a chance, and then if you don't like it, you will at least be able to cite some examples as to why.

Chris

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing Devil's Advocate, if all finds (no matter how rare) are in one thread, at least they will be easy to find. Imagine if, as someone has put it, someone posts a thread about their fantastic new find, it may easily fall off the first page and no one spots it. Then the thread starter feels crap.

Or something like that.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My question is, will "chatter" be moderated in these threads?

Doesn't happen too much, but I'd imagine it would be silly to have someone post a rare find and have it followed by 20 posts saying "WOW!" or "COOL!".

That way, other people's finds aren't lost in the butt kissing....

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, my single reason for even posting anything on this site is gone. I do hate it when idiots post when they haven't found anything, so I guess I'll check DP periodically just for the game news...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez
    Well, my single reason for even posting anything on this site is gone. I do hate it when idiots post when they haven't found anything, so I guess I'll check DP periodically just for the game news...
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. What reason is gone?

Chris

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't understand either...?

About these members that are posting in the Finds thread without finds, most of the time they are newbies and I'm sure they feel like they are actually attributing to the site by starting a thread (when they are not). But I would stop at name-calling because that just makes us look equally immature and like cranky a**holes. If they are told not to do so, and they continue to do so (whatever the offense may be), THEN they are being idiots.

Now, I understand we have guidelines in each forum, but many newbs easily miss this even though they are stickied because they are eager to post, unaccustomed to forum procedures, or ignore them because it sounds too boring to read. If only there was a brief email sent to them detailing forum procedures in a concise manner, perhaps there'd be a lesser rate of offenders.
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

yay

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really think its a good idea,it organizes the fourm even more.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'm all for the changes, they seem fine to me. It does become a hassle when there are three or four running finds threads, sometimes started with incorrect dates, etc. Having them monthly also fixes the problem of it being different times in different countries when those initial week and weekend finds would be posted.

The only reason for a find to get it's own thread other than something having a high rarity index, in my opinion, is for it to be a business as usual post. (ie. not simply just a find) Request for information on a really obscure controller that's not in the database, more information on a game, etc. (of course after searching to see if that information had been posted) I have an item in transit right now that I think would fall into that category.

It seems people are blowing this out of proportion. The forums really aren't changing much at all, the finds are just being lumped into one place and a moderator is going to setup the thread every month - that's it. If anything it's one LESS thing to deal with on the forums. You have a find? Post it in the finds thread. Only difference is now it's in the same place all the time.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I find a CIB 2600 Air Raid I am starting my own thread with pics. Sorry.