Thread: Arcades still make money?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Arcades still make money?

ok first off, I am a teenager being of 16 years of age and owning my first arcade game Zaxxon.
    I love this hobby and it would be my dream to be an arcade owner. I know most large places died around 01, but I think it has alot to do with lack of diffrent games. I have friends who are sick of token games and skee ball and so are most other kids (mostly sk8ters) in my area. "you know what happened to days were you could have your drink in one hand, and the other holding the joystick". So if I were to buy a old pizza hut, fill it with 80s 90s games (good ones) and hopefully be close to a skate park, would that make money? I think it would because it would be the "only one in town" and kids think drum games are retarded.

so really I just want informed comments
    what do you think?
    ppl say im crazy, they don't understand

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Arcades still make money?

Quote Originally Posted by dukenukem1990
    So if I were to buy a old pizza hut, fill it with 80s 90s games (good ones) and hopefully be close to a skate park, would that make money?... so really I just want informed comments
    what do you think?
    You'd be insanely lucky to barely break even, let alone make any kind of profit. Aside from the regular overhead (rent, utilities, insurance, etc.) you've got maintenance on games that are 20-30 years old. Not cheap.

It's a great thought, but it would never make money. My two zenny.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drop the idea. You're fighting an uphill battle. You're better off owning a video game store where you sell video game stuff from all eras from Atari to the present. As long you can dedicate your time full time to the store and really care about your customers and know what you're talking about then a store like that would have a chance. Maybe in the store you could even have a few TV'S with systems and let people play for like a few dollars an hour or something and you could host tournaments now and then and try to sell some food/snacks in the store. Something like the one I just described could have a chance of making it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ those are some good ideas.
    sounds close to the digital press store
    ppl say im crazy, they don't understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While it's unlikely the arcade you describe will turn a profit, we certainly can't fault you for having your heart in the right place!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in a small town I used to live in we had a collectible card shop.It sold games on the side and had a arcade with pool tables in the back with a area for card tourneys as well.The money maker was the cards and games plus charging for the tourneys.I found this model most impressive.They had about 10 arcade cab's from various eras.This was in a mall even they seemed to be at least making a profit.