Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It took me 17 years, but I finally beat Dragon Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default It took me 17 years, but I finally beat Dragon Warrior

(Click)

Received it as part of the Nintendo Power promotion 17 years ago. Never actually got around to beating the Dragonlord.

Well, this year is the year of the RPG for me. This year I plan to beat all the RPG's I ever started but never quite finished. Dragon Warrior is just the first in line. My PSP finally gives me the time and motivation to actually play through these things. Plus, my PSP emulator doesn't accidentally lose my save game if you don't shut it off correctly.

Now I'm going to move onto Dragon Warrior II. I'm also working through Earthbound (Also on the PSP), Final Fantasy VI (PSX Anthology), Dragon Quest VIII (Took a break to play this one.), Super Mario RPG. (Never quite had the strength to beat Smithy.)

So I'm late to the party. Sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Congrats on your playthrough

Congrats man, I too have decided when I meet with my fellow gamers, that I would occasionally beat an impossible game together. For my 29th birthday I finally beat Magician Lord, and then recently beat Ghouls and Ghosts. My next challenge is Castlevania Chronicles. Good luck man on DW II, the game is tough.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, that is awesome. This is just as bad as me never finishing the Bard's Tale for the PC. I am STILL paying this game and have yet to finish it. I bought it when it came out in 1985. 21 years ago! Ha! Got you beat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In keeping with my new years resolution, last night I finally beat Earthbound!

Giygas has been defeated. The world has been saved. Such a beautiful and touching story. Shame the US still hasn't gotten the GBA rereleases yet. At least Mother 3 is coming out in Japan in April. I hope NOA decides to go crazy and import the entire trilogy for us.

Amazingly, Earthbound seemed a lot easier for me this time. I want to say it's because I leveled up extra at the very beginning of the game and thus ended up being ahead the whole length, but I dunno. Maybe I'm just much better at RPG's now than I was up until 6 years ago.

Also, coming off of beating both EB and DW one after another I can say DW is much more of a pain to level. EB I'm all the way at the 70's for all the characters. And it felt like I was leveling a lot often. But DW games seem to take their sweet time. I know DW only went to level 30 and I was on 20 when I beat it. (Also the final battle seems to be set up so you really only need to be at level 20 so you have enough MP to keep healing yourself and make the battle easy. But hey, it's the first RPG, what do you want? Final Fantasy? )

Doing good so far in DWII though. It's just a lot different. They changed too much from the original for this one. A lot of the little touches are left out in the subsequent NES DW games. Stuff that makes you go "WTF?".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, DW II drags on a bit.. IV is my favorite of the Dragon Warriors, working on 5 right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite DQs are 4 and 5. I think 3 and 6 are a bit overrated, personally. Especially 6. But a solid series nonetheless, even if it's one of the least innovative franchises ever.

The only DQ I haven't beaten is actually DQ8, which I got for Christmas and then put down after about 20 hours. Whoops. Well, I'll get around to it.

Congrats on beating Dragon Warrior and Earthbound. Nice screenshot, too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats! It usually takes me a good 5-10 years to sit through any RPG as well. Good luck with your new years resolution!
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I've been working on this for a few months but it's very non-linear and I'm having a hard time making any progression. Congrats on beating it.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Nice Dude!! You aren't the only one that is taking long. I still have not beaten it, no time to. The only part I went up to was killing that green dragon in the dungeon and getting a key I think, thats all I remember then I was fighting werewolves.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

edit:double post.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dw 2 's end boss took me 5 times to beat
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Insert Coin (Level 0) The-Bavis's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ChuckleFutz

Every time I try to play Dragon Warrior again, I get as far as pullling up the menu to use "stairs" and then quickly turn it off. Used to love that game...
    The-Bavis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The-Bavis
    Every time I try to play Dragon Warrior again, I get as far as pullling up the menu to use "stairs" and then quickly turn it off. Used to love that game...
    At least they fixed that with DW2. But you shouldn't let a little stair telling stop you! I got used to it very quickly and it became second nature. A, Down, Down, A isn't a lot you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    At least they fixed that with DW2. But you shouldn't let a little stair telling stop you! I got used to it very quickly and it became second nature. A, Down, Down, A isn't a lot you know.
    Bah, gamers are lazy these days Imagine if we had to put up with all those TEXT adventures!

I'd be pissed if I couldn't spell!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nik
    Bah, gamers are lazy these days Imagine if we had to put up with all those TEXT adventures!

Didn't some text adventures have a spell checker? I know "Win Lose or Draw" did. (I know it's not a TEXT game. But it did use text and checked spelling.) You could type "a bx f jelybeens" and it would know exactly what you meant. And that was a DOS game from like 20 years ago.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Congrats on beating the first game. I've beaten 1, 3 and 4. never beat 2 yet cause like previously mentioned, it tends to drag on too much with little sense of coherency till near the end.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0) The-Bavis's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ChuckleFutz

It's not that I'm lazy, it just takes me out of the experience and lose interest. I know it's nit-picky. I'll just have to get over it someday by playing it all the way through again.
    The-Bavis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not that I'm lazy, it just takes me out of the experience and lose interest. I know it's nit-picky. I'll just have to get over it someday by playing it all the way through again.
    Wasn't calling you yourself lazy, just being general, since I hate it when I have to hit a command to take some stairs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

DW1 was a great game. Its not the same playing it on a handheld though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was for me. I'll tell you what's not the same. Playing it on a computer. Down with computer emulation.