Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Won The Lottery...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default If You Won The Lottery...

Today at work, someone asked the question, "what would you do if you won the lottery?" Someone chimed in for me and said I would buy every game every known. Now, while I'm not denying this fact, I got to thinking.

Would it be enjoyable to collect games if you had unlimited financial resources?

For me, part of the fun in collecting is having to budget myself when buying games. If I could hit Ebay and buy everything, there wouldn't be the challenge of finding the rare games at great prices. It's kind of like playing the Sims. If you started with a great career and unlimited money, it wouldn't be fun.

So, if you won the lottery, would you still find joy in collecting?

*apologies if this has been done before, but I couldn't find a thread like it*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

This is a tough one. I have thought about this before as well, and I still think it would be fun, just not as much. If you saw a game for a good deal, you wouldnt be as "Oh, I gotta buy this right now!!"....you would just be like "meh, ill grab this one i guess"

ya know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't actually buy every game that was ever made. I'd buy A LOT, but not all (especially not imports). I'd definitley blow some money on getting practically every Sega, Nintendo and Atari game, but thats probably where it would stop.

..... maybe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

No matter how much money you have, there will always be gaming stuff you can't get. And I'm not talking about the games yet to be release either. There are just so many items and such a variety of scarcity amongst them that there will always be something missing.

If I won the lottery, I would make sure to try and ration it and put alot away, but I would surely put alot in game collecting.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just because you have the money to spend, doesn't mean you have access to all the titles out there. You would still have to find the rare titles before you could buy them.

With that said, I would still collect, just to say I had all the games from my childhood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd buy a nice house and go after Arcade cabs

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend and I actually have a deal going about this. If he wins, he's opening a video game store, which I will manage on a day to day basis. I'll be salaried with benefits, comparable to what I make now. To go hand in hand with the store will be a video game archive or museum (good as a tax writeoff too)

If I win, it's the same deal for him.

As far as for my personal collection, I guess I would buy what I please on a whim, and not go crazy. I'd probably budget myself a couple thousand a month and stay within that range. I figure it would still be quite a while before I had everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would deffinitely start collecting arcade cabinets, and AES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

It would be hard not to buy everything you see because money doesn't matter... but it would take some of the fun out of collecting, I think anyways.

I would really want to buy alot of video games, but they would probably be last on my list of stuff to buy if I won the lottery.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever this subject has come up, I always say the same thing...I'd buy a house and buy more cats. I'd be giving more unwanted cats homes and the house would be to give them (and me) the space we need. Interestingly enough, I never think about buying more video games. But then I don't buy as many games as I used to in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Hmmm, I would go for all NES, SNES, N64, DC, SMS, and PSX games all minty complete. It would be cool to be able to drop 10 $ bucks on a fairly common NES game in minty complete condition and not have to worry about paying inflated shipping charges to get it to your house in one peice. Oh, and Addams Family Pinball

PSN: SouthRox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If only I had this dilemma to worry about...

I don't think having oodles of money would take the joy out of collecting for me. There are plenty of game systems I've never seen in real life. Aside from purchasing a large house to display the multitude of game systems, arcade cabinets, and pinball machines I would undoubtedly buy, I would do some travelling to FIND those elusive systems. Trips to Japan (obviously), Korea, Brazil, etc. could turn up some rare finds that I probably couldn't acquire easily under normal circumstances. I'd love to go out on a videogame safari, but I could NEVER afford such a thing on my current salary. Winning the lottery sounds GREAT to me!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, don't know. I probably would not be buying that many games. But I would be playing them, ALOT, because I sure as shit would not be getting up to go to work.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, First I would buy me the 1970 Chevy Yenko Nova that I want, then I would buy a house and like others said fill it with arcade machines. Then with the rest of the money I would buy a store and open a game store. With what ever is left I would either donate it to a SPCA to help save animals or just adopt a lot of dogs and give them all the care they would need.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

well i dont think i would go and buy every game out there but i do have an ingenious idea. use the money to fund a long road trip (planned of course) to hit major swap meets/flea markets, known video game shops and gaming conventions.

Personally i would love to fly to japan, hire an interpreter and go on a country wide hunt to complete my wonderswan collection.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt it'd be as fun collecting if I was rich [which fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not]. Seems like half the fun is in the trouble getting stuff?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id buy a house to show everything off in and then id
    become a full time professional cyclist, as thats what my dream
    is and as sad as it is gaming would come second.

The only other thing Id love to do is go on a massive anime
    and dvd spree to buy all the stuff we miss out on here in
    australia
    zomg I have a sig

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First on my agenda would be putting some of that money away. Savings, investing, whatever.

Whatever is left (interest or whatnot) i'd spend that on the games that i really want. It's not terribly exciting, but i'm not the person to buy games i'm not ever going to play.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would sure make my collecting a whole lot easier. I could just put the word out that I am looking for a bunch of old factory sealed video games, and if you have one on my list you can email me and name your asking price for it. Simple.

Besides, it's not like I would have a ton of games on my list. Just the ones that I still haven't been able to find yet, and all the ones that I've found but haven't been able to afford yet. So mostly just a bunch of old SNES games and a few Saturn imports. I already have most of what I want.

But best of all, I could finally have a real Room of Doom to display all my games in, and a real game room for that Roller Coaster Tycoon pinball table that I've been dying to get but have no space for even if I could afford to get it.

The rest of the money I would just blow on traveling all over the world to ride every roller coaster ever built. Maybe I'd even buy a bunch of land, have a roller coaster of my own built on it, and use all the money that I made charging people to ride it to build an amusement park around it and expand my new collection of roller coasters. Yep, I'd be a very dangerous rich man. That's why I will never be rich.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Winning the lotto would not stop me from buying games because I no longer needed to budget my spending, it would have the oposite effect. I wouldnt buy ever game in site, but every game I always wanted. I would visit every single place I could in my hunt for them. My import colection would definitly see a boost. The thing is, I would at first be overcome with the desire to spend so much, but in the end I would have what I wanted and as I was well off, the time required to enjoy said games. The question I wonder is, how long before I eventualy felt the need to own it all? With the 102mil my state's curent lotto is up to, I cant help but ask that.