Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Default Shipping gouging

Thought I'd ask peoples' advice here...

Just won a single normal Gamecube game from a seller in the US. Not only is he refusing to let me have the game shipped anywhere apart from to the UK (even though I asked for it to be sent within the US), but he's also charging me $25 (between shipping cost and "insurance") to send it.

Maybe he just hates foreign bidders. He even had the cheek to say I had to email him before bidding because I was a foreign bidder, even though nowhere in the text of the auction does it actually say so (and if you want to go read, I'll post the link for it).

Even though I've protested, he is threatening me with a NPD mark if I don't pay. I've pretty much threatened him to report him back if the shipping doesn't cost anywhere near $25. That's assuming I do actually pay.

My question is, has anyone actually ever done that to eBay? Report a seller when the actual shipping cost is way lower than you were charged for? If so, what happened?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Divine Atropos

It's really hard to pull something like that off. Any time the question comes up, the sellers spout all sorts of info about every little cost they have.

$25 - $7 to ship it is $18

$18 - $5 in eBay/Paypal fees is $13

$13 - $4 in gas money because they live 30 miles away from the post office is $9

$9 - $2 for packing materials is $7

$7 - $6 for the lunch he ate that day leaves $1.

It's sad how that works, but there's not a lot you can do. The only time it really comes into play is if it's ridiculously overdone. Like, a one cent video game with $99 shipping. Then eBay gets pissed because they're losing money. If it's a $70 game with $25 shipping, then they don't care; they've gotten their large slice.

All in all, it's a tough world. Buyers can screw sellers, sellers can screw buyers, and eBay just laughs while the money rolls in. Personally, I'd at least try. Refuse to pay, and if he files an NPB, report to eBay how he was being a pretentious dick and trying to rape you in shipping charges. Good luck.
    Come on, take a trip with me, across the bridge of lunacy...

Jed - The Fearless Leader of JedMart. Fighting the war against high prices, one sale at a time.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is he charging you $25 to ship from US to UK? Or do you have an address in the US also? If hes shipping to UK with insurance $25 is the about the right price. Its the price for EMS.

Check http://ircalc.usps.gov/

If its a common game i would never pay $25. I would take the chance and get it sent with airmail or Global Priority Mail.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know it doesn't help you Mayhem, but I NEVER bid without a set shipping amount especially when the seller is from another country.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Regarding that Cuewarrior, considering when I sell I do it worldwide, I'm not about to quote 14 different prices in my auction for all possibilities of buyer I could have

(and yes it can be up to that if I'm selling something over a couple of pounds)

I usually state "if you wish to know shipping to your location, please email". There's also the fact that the buyer might want it to go surface instead of airmail, if they want insurance etc, so too many combinations.

@Jajaja - personally it should be down to the buyer (ie. me) to choose the shipping method. EMS is bunt if you are shipping stuff under a couple of pounds, because it just isn't worth it. So much for me trying to ask to have it sent Global Priority envelope for $7 instead (and no insurance, not worth it on a $30 item).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Shipping gouging

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Thought I'd ask peoples' advice here...
    Link to auction? Based on the little info given I agree with the seller. Were I the seller would not ship to an unconfirmed U.S. address. You might later claim "item not delivered"

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ye. Some seller only ships with EMS because of worldwide tracking. Did he mention anything about this?

I know Ebay have a own category about sellers charging too much in shipping. I filled out a complaint myself, didnt help much. You will most likely only get the standard answer: "Contact the seller before placing the bid etc etc.."

Check this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

I would like to see a link to this auction. If the seller doesn't have anything listed in his auction about the shipping price then I think you're up shit creek without a paddle.

I would think he can pretty much ship it whatever way he feels comfortable (I would too if I were in his situation... but I don't ship worldwide)

But goodluck with this, maybe you can convince him to ship it a different method.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Well indeed, I might just ask him how it will be shipped. Or find out when it arrives (should I pay). If it ain't EMS, then it definitely is shipping rip off time me thinks. He even told me he has "removed" his "handling fees" on this price as well (which were $6.50 originally! ).

As you can see, none of this is listed anywhere in the auction listing...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8257708610

It even actually says "postal insurance not included" in rhe listing, and then he is trying to force me to have it for shipping of this item (btw the shipping is $16 and the insurance cost is $9 in the breakdown).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see no problem with $25 for shipping. He states for all international buyers to email him and he only takes payment via paypal. If the buyer is paying via paypal, the package NEEDS to be shipped via Express Mail so there is tracking. I only ship via Express for all packages going out of country when the buyer pays via paypal. If the buyer wants to send payment via money order, I'll send it surface mail if they'd like.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He even had the cheek to say I had to email him before bidding because I was a foreign bidder, even though nowhere in the text of the auction does it actually say so
    No he does not. Ask him "Where does it say that?" He won't be able to provide an answer-- since it does not exist!

Here's how I ship. Your seller could ship far less than $25.00:

FOREIGN INSURED:
    ============

$2.50 HANDLING
    + $10.95 UK (8.50 Post + 0.25 envelope + 0.25 Gasoline + 1.95 insurance)
    =================================
    $13.45

FOREIGN TRACKING:
    =============

$2.50 HANDLING
    +16.75 GLOBAL EXPRESS ($16.25 + 0.25 envelope + 0.25 Gasoline)
    ================================
    $19.25

where "handling" = paypal/ebay fees for $25 game

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    No he does not. Ask him "Where does it say that?"
    I did. He dodged answering that question entirely.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ask again.

And again.

If a Seller makes a "claim" that you should have emailed first, ask for documentation of that claim. If he ignores the second email requesting documentation, send a reply to the Original Seller email:

">>>You have to email first before bidding"

"This claim is invalid. No such restriction exists in the listing." Don't let Sellers (or buyers) push you around with false statements.

And show the Seller he could ship the game to you for only $14.00 using my math example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Guys, I reported some auction for a $.99 game with $10 shipping two days ago.

Doesn't need to be $99 for eBay to take action. They know what's what.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Is he charging you $25 to ship from US to UK? Or do you have an address in the US also? If hes shipping to UK with insurance $25 is the about the right price. Its the price for EMS.

Check http://ircalc.usps.gov/

If its a common game i would never pay $25. I would take the chance and get it sent with airmail or Global Priority Mail.
    you honestly think he will ship EMS? No, he will ship air letter post or via flat rate global priority if anything.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Well, I'll give my input on this.

Last week I shipped an item and charged about $19 for shipping. I thought it would be that high... but when I went to the post office, it ended up being $13 bucks via Small Package Post (Airmail Letter). So I apologized to the buyer and gave him a partial refund (about $5.90 or so).

I overquote sometimes; I do this because the post office won't let me ship stuff on Airmail Letter sometimes. Other times I ship stuff via Global Priority Mail (US to Europe) because it's cheaper than parcel. I'm not excusing the guy, he should at least give you more than one option and discuss a way to reduce the cost with you. In my case, if a shipping option is too high, I'll notify the buyer and give him a detailed account of the shipping costs. If he doesn't want to pay and I can't find a way to make shipping cheaper without damaging the item, I suggest we simply cancel the transaction because we couldn't reach an agreement. I don't leave negatives without a good reason. I know it's supposed to be a contract but I don't have to be an asshole about it, you know?

Note that many of the problems I've had with buyers complaining about international shipping are due to the fact that they NEVER contact me to ask about the cost... Which is why I added "INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE BIDDING TO CALCULATE SHIPPING COSTS!" in big, bold letters to every auction. I'd use Marquee and blink tags but that would be overkill. (Maybe not.)

I suggest you go to eBay and complain. Everyone here's given enough proof he's charging too much, and if he's not willing to compromise, then... boom. Report him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easier to charge a flat rate of $15 international for games/dvds.

imho

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If something costs $X to ship to the UK, then fair enough, I don't have a problem paying what it costs.

It's the fact that:

- he refuses to let me know HOW he will be shipping it
    - he refuses to let me know what the SIZE and WEIGHT of the package is

So with any of that info, I could work out for myself what it should cost, and/or suggest alternate method instead. The fact he isn't letting onto that info to me does suggest he's creaming off the shipping. And if he doesn't actually know that information, then how on earth can he give me a quote on how much it will cost...?

And the fact he won't let me ship within the US, even though that address in question is registered as part of my eBay profile, compounds the suspicion. Send out with DC, what's the problem? You tell me...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

If something costs $X to ship to the UK, then fair enough, I don't have a problem paying what it costs.

It's the fact that:

- he refuses to let me know HOW he will be shipping it
    - he refuses to let me know what the SIZE and WEIGHT of the package is

So with any of that info, I could work out for myself what it should cost, and/or suggest alternate method instead. The fact he isn't letting onto that info to me does suggest he's creaming off the shipping. And if he doesn't actually know that information, then how on earth can he give me a quote on how much it will cost...?

And the fact he won't let me ship within the US, even though that address in question is registered as part of my eBay profile, compounds the suspicion. Send out with DC, what's the problem? You tell me...
    I am in the same boat as you my friend. I live in Hawaii and some sellers don't know that Hawaii is in the US and say stuff like "It will cost $3 more since you live in Hawaii, thats international" mind you they are already charging $7 to ship via first class for a GBA game that only weighs 1.5 oz. You could ship that Priority for $4.05 up to 13oz before the price changes.

But what irritates me the most is when I ask "what method is this being shipped?" and then they give you a speech that tries to justify the shipping charge. I am just asking if it's going to be shipped 1st class, media mail, priority or parcel.

If the seller actually puts what method is going to be used in the auction then people wouldnt be asking these questions.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by XianXi
    I am in the same boat as you my friend. I live in Hawaii and some sellers don't know that Hawaii is in the US and say stuff like "It will cost $3 more since you live in Hawaii, thats international" mind you they are already charging $7 to ship via first class for a GBA game that only weighs 1.5 oz. You could ship that Priority for $4.05 up to 13oz before the price changes.

But what irritates me the most is when I ask "what method is this being shipped?" and then they give you a speech that tries to justify the shipping charge. I am just asking if it's going to be shipped 1st class, media mail, priority or parcel.

If the seller actually puts what method is going to be used in the auction then people wouldnt be asking these questions.
    The worst of those people are the ones that ship stuff via Media Mail to Hawaii. It usually takes 5-10 days to arrive within the US, but if it's to Hawaii (or Alaska, I assume) it would take more than two weeks.

I -avoid- sellers who state "Standard Flatrate Shipping". Dammit, they should tell me if it's being shipped by Media, Parcel, First Class or Priority. I won't pay $6 for Media bloody MAIL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic