Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New DREAMCAST game released TODAY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New DREAMCAST game released TODAY

There has been a post about this game before, but it was released today (or was it yesterday?) so here's a refresher.

It's a manic shooter that goes by a variety of names...

Radilgy or Radirgy or Rajirugi

Strangely enough, it has cell-shaded graphics like Jet Set Radio. It was produced by Milestone, the same people from CHAOS FIELD (not my favorite Dreamcast shooter, but anywho...) Let's hope the simple graphics make for fast, fast gameplay.

It's a port of an arcade shooter based on the Naomi hardware.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/Rajirugi

Let's post comments when we get our copies! I know I can't be the only one on this board who ordered one. New Dreamcats shooters are the only thing I'll pay full price for on opening day.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: New DREAMCAST game released TODAY

Milestone is a one-man show, is it not?

On this game...not quite what I had in mind from the name, but alright!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of shooters on the DC, I heard that Last Hope(Made by Neo Geo fans) may be coming to the DC. Is this true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskers the Wonder Cat
    Speaking of shooters on the DC, I heard that Last Hope(Made by Neo Geo fans) may be coming to the DC. Is this true?
    I haven't heard of that one being scheduled for release, but I'm certainly not on the cutting edge of consciousness. I wouldn't have even know about this game being out today had I not been sent a confirmation e-mail. I'd have just gotten home and been surprised (which would have been kind of nice, actually.)

UNDER DEFEAT

It's so damn cool that the Dreamcast is still getting official releases years after its death (2001 in the USA, later in Japan.)

Long live the Dreamcast! Keep the games coming! Buy some new games yourself!

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't that game Under Defeat? Last Hope is a side scrolling 2-D shooter like Pulstar... I got a feeling Under Defeat is going to be the next border down. Underappreciated at first, then alot of people realize it's a great game, and by that time, the game becomes rare, and you have to be in a bidding war on ebay or pay tons of cash to get it. Not to mention, there's a Limited Edition as well. I wish I had the money to get this.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct - that is NOT Last Hope.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskers the Wonder Cat
    Isn't that game Under Defeat? Last Hope is a side scrolling 2-D shooter like Pulstar... I got a feeling Under Defeat is going to be the next border down. Underappreciated at first, then alot of people realize it's a great game, and by that time, the game becomes rare, and you have to be in a bidding war on ebay or pay tons of cash to get it. Not to mention, there's a Limited Edition as well. I wish I had the money to get this.
    You are utterly, entirely, completely correct. Major brain damage on my part. Too much grass in college! My apologies for any False Hopes on Last Hope.

I have edited my original post to avoid confusing others. There's enough confusion in my own head without having to spread it around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mmmm... DC shooters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was out on the 16th? Anyway, its gonna take a while before anyone here gets it due to postage from Japan. I'm not getting it personally but may decide to get Under Defeat. It looks very tempting, but the price, may just have to get the non-limited edition, which is probably going to still be sought after in times to come anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

God, those Under Defeat shots make me froth at the mouth.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, Last Hope will be coming to the Dreamcast in the form of an independent release, meaning, it will not be on a GD-ROM, but still on a professionally pressed CD (which isn't surprising anymore, as Under Defeat is most likely the last game to be pressed on a GD-ROM for Dreamcast). Of course, it won't be out on Dreamcast until it's had its run on the Neo Geo, so don't expect it soon.

Anyway, Rajirugi looks good. Arcadia LOVED it, and since this is a near perfect port, it will be good. Make sure you get your preorders in for Under Defeat, because they may be closing soon! G.Rev reported they are VERY happy with the pre-orders, and the limited editions are almost sold out.

-GoTaS

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything here, but is it just more or does Radrigy seem err...a bit crappy? I'm a huge Dreamcast fan, but seriously, there's no way I'd drop sixty clams on that. It looks like a cell phone game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    I'm not trying to be an ass or anything here, but is it just more or does Radrigy seem err...a bit crappy? I'm a huge Dreamcast fan, but seriously, there's no way I'd drop sixty clams on that. It looks like a cell phone game.
    It's cel shaded. I mean, if you don't like that style...
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason it looks like a cell phone game is... it's modeled after a cell phone game!
    Anyway, you can't just look at pictures of Rajirugi and get opinions from it. You have to see the game in motion to understand how amazing it flows.

-GoTaS

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    It's cel shaded. I mean, if you don't like that style...
    I know that it's cel-shaded. It still looks crappy in my opinion. Jet Grind Radio looks fantastic -- I'm a fan of the art style when it's done nicely. Here, it just looks rather low rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru of Time and Space
    The reason it looks like a cell phone game is... it's modeled after a cell phone game!
    Anyway, you can't just look at pictures of Rajirugi and get opinions from it. You have to see the game in motion to understand how amazing it flows.

-GoTaS
    I watched a few videos of it, and I wasn't very impressed. It just looks amateurish (for lack of a better word). I think it's somewhat neat in its "comic book" stylings, but it just seems unrefined and not quite "console" quality.

Just my personal thoughts on the game. Mind you, I haven't played it -- and I'm not a big fan of shmups -- so I can't really judge it beyond those initial impressions. I might pick up a copy eventually, but it's gonna be a hell of a time convincing myself that it's worth $60...it's been a hell of a time convincing myself that Under Defeat is worth $60. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks like a cell phone game.

it even has the bars and battery thing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: New DREAMCAST game released TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Milestone is a one-man show, is it not?
    no, you're thinking of Triangle Service (which had 3 people IIRC but only one guy did the DC release of Trizeal). Milestone has 5 people, I think.

I'm looking forward to playing this game, but unfortunatly my copy is in the same order as Under Defeat, so I won't be getting it until next month.

It's funny that when the low res screenshots first hit the web, people were screaming up and down that it WAS a cell phone game The videos from Milestone's website look extremely sweet though, and I can't wait to get some playtime into this game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that it's cel-shaded. It still looks crappy in my opinion. Jet Grind Radio looks fantastic -- I'm a fan of the art style when it's done nicely. Here, it just looks rather low rent.
    In all fairness, only very little of Jet Grind Radio was cel shaded. Just the characters, a few objects, and some special effects. 95% of Rajirugi is cel shaded.

I watched a few videos of it, and I wasn't very impressed. It just looks amateurish (for lack of a better word). I think it's somewhat neat in its "comic book" stylings, but it just seems unrefined and not quite "console" quality.
    You must've been watching the wrong movies.

http://www.mile-stone.co.jp/product/...vie/radi02.mpg

Everything in that video flows smoothly, and there is not one trace of slow down. Everything is cel-shaded, and in 3D. The backgrounds are very detailed, and never repeat with scrolling, something that can't be said about some Dreamcast shooters (Psyvariar 2, Trizeal, no diss to these games, they rule). All the graphics are bright and colorful, and it is obvious that A LOT of work has gone in to this game. Rajirugi is stylish!

Now, I'm not going to say your opinion on the way Rajirugi looks is wrong... just, if you can't notice how this game is aesthetically pleasing, you may need to get your eyes checked.

But, we all know that judging a game on the basis of graphics alone is a BIG no-no.

The sound effects are pretty cartoony, and fit along with the game. The music in Rajirugi sounds very poppy and fun. It really gets you in the mood for the game, it's kinda lighthearted. Mile-Stone has set up a soundtrack sample page you may want to check out. My favorite track is Bitcrush.
    http://www.mile-stone.co.jp/product/...ush_SAMPLE.mp3

Now, well, the GAMEPLAY. I haven't played it yet, so I can't fully understand the system, but, as you can see, some moves from Chaos Field were left in Rajirugi. The sword swipe, in particular, taking note from Radiant Silvergun, is an awesome function, and makes the game that much more fun. I know if Chaos Field hadn't of had that function, I wouldn't of played it as much. It also looks like it takes a nod at Giga Wing, with a force shield like function, and we all know that was what made Giga Wing fun.

It's a shmup, for kids who play shmups. If you're down, you're down, if you're not, you're not. Rajirugi probably isn't going to be changing anyone's opinions on the genre, but if you are into shooters, Rajirugi will be a blast!

-GoTaS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game looks interesting to say the least, its supposed to be pretty good though.. DID anybody actually buy the LE version?

hey, if anybody buys this and doesnt like it--

I have 2 options for you

1. sealed chaos field

2. 2 sealed king of fighters 2001

[end plug (sorry, i am broke to pieces :-(]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943
    DID anybody actually buy the LE version?
    Normally I do, but the special bonus that drove the price up $20 was...a phone card. Ehh.... I like collecting as much as the next guy, but that's just a little over the top. Throw in a soundtrack or something if you're going to ramp up the cost that much