Thread: Full Auto: Full Game Early impressions (X360)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Full Auto: Full Game Early impressions (X360)

Some of you may remember that I wrote up a rather lengthy review of the Full Auto demo when it was released on the Xbox Live marketplace.

Anyhow, I decided to bite the $60 bullet today, seeing as how there are about -5 games on the Xbox 360's near future release list. That, and the fact that I had a blast with the demo.

All I can say is the developers really make this game crazy. I thought there was a lot of particle effects in the demo -- christ almighty, in the full version there's just shit all over the place, running over each other. It's like a fucking free for all (this is good, for the record).

The frame rate still dips -- it came into a near slo-mo at one point. This may have been deliberate, but the camera didn't pan like it usually does during slow frame shots. That aside, the graphics look fantastic.

Controls are rather unsatisfying -- it feels like the car is on ice. While this is all well and good (and the car is responsive), it does not feel like you are controlling a 2000 pound '67 Chevy knock off. The sense of inertia and weight simply isn't there. The physics engine is rather robust, but it just feels slightly off. This might be only in the C class vehicles (almost done with C class), so I'll have to get back on that.

Also, what the fuck is with the custom soundtracks? It only lasts the duration of the race, then switches back to the crap generic rock that ships on the disc. Seriously, what the hell? I don't know if this is a glitch or if it's just an oversight, but damn is it annoying. I was blowing shit up at high speeds to Nirvana's "School," only to have the song cut in half and promptly replaced by some total ass guitar and drums. Gah. Thumbs down on that.

The sense of speed is a bit lacking in comparison to Burnout's; again, I think this is due to the physics feeling "off." Granted, I'm not expecting spot-on, real-life physics -- it just feels like that, within the crazy ass game world, the physics don't fit correctly. They're just too damn loose. Good thing for unwreck.

Haven't played on Xbox Live yet (today was release day), but I suppose I will eventually. It looks rather cool.

One thing I actually really like is the destructible environs which yield new paths/shortcuts after each successive lap. For example, the first time you pass a building it may be standing, but on the second lap you can go through the gap where it was, shaving 3 seconds off your time.

I'd give it a rating of around 7.5 - 8 so far. I can see this getting really, really, really, really (see the emphasis?) repetetive after awhile. Hell, I only played half an hour and I was kind of inclined to go do something else.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MuppetMaster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info, I really wanted this game and thought the demo was fun as hell, however the reviews for Fullauto are all over the map.
    Gotta have it all!!!

My Game Collection:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the final game is much more enjoyable than the retail, let me break things down into some categories for those of you on the fence of a purchase:

The Good:

-Excellent veicular and environmental damage, truly not capable on PS2/Xbox

-Sometimes things get very very hectic, like in the races where you must turn around at the end and head back, think of 8 cars piling ontop of eacother, with rockets, machine guns, and mines all over the place.

-Kills are satisfying, especialy kills with mines (while you watch them explode in your rear view mirror) also the game has rumble unlike the demo

-Unwreck is a very unique feature, and without it I would say the game is truly drab drab.

-Tons of races, this game will take awhile to get every medal in.

The Bad:

-Repetitive. The game offers multiple game modes, but they all boil down to blowing up opponents and reaching the finish in time.

-Car physics are pretty bad. I know its an arcade game, but really these cars control horribly. If you hit an edge that would normaly just be a little bump in most racing games, FA sends you flying in the air 50 feets, spinning uncontrolably, most likely ending up on your hood.

-Weapons are limited, and some feel really weak (shotgun)

-Extremely handicaped AI. No matter how many times you blow them up, there will always be more of them going like 50 MPH faster than you always passing yo up. I can see how this can always keep things frantic, but when your on a 6 lap race, and suddenly on the last stretch two cars pass you up, and you lose while you had the lead the whole race.

-Online will become annoying, as everyone and their mothers use the weapon combo with mines, so every turn you take you are greeted by mines, ready to blow you up.

Overall:

I must admit so far I am enjoying it, although I do see career mode getting really repetitive after awhile, and online can still be pretty fun at times.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nice to see this getting decent reviews, I know the offline mode would get lame pretty fast, but I am hoping the online mode shines through, so I am getting this soon. Nice reviews.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Played a bit more, some more observations/thoughts.

First off, the tracks. There's a decent amount of variety here, and coupled with the destructible environments, there is a lot of different possible variants. However, the tracks have obviously been almost carbon copied from other racing games such as Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. It caused some serious deja vu for me. There are also some "random" events on every track that happen from lap to lap. I.e. some shit will fall down, a truck will park in the middle of the road, or a huge hunk of concrete will be in your way. This really adds a lot to the game -- you can't just coast through blowing up tons of shit and not paying attention. Because, if you do, you could find yourself smashed against the wall.

Next, the weapons. These have also been pulled from various other games -- mainly Vigilante 8, it would seem. Now, granted, a shotgun is a shotgun, but everything from the way the machine gun is to the way shotgun pumps (a la the buckshot) screams V8. Hell, a lot of the car design seems oddly reminscent of that game as well. Oh, and the mines are ridiculously overpowered. Three shots to the front from these and you're dead. Since you can't see them admist the debris/carnage, you'll often be "detonated" or some like minded bullshit. It's annoying, especially since it's the only thing the AI can use effectively (and uses liberally).

I think some of the events suffer from being too long, especially when it seems they are decided on the last lap. Seriously, someone plants a few mines on your ass 100 feet from the line, and you lose. Granted, unwreck really alleviates some of this pain, but it almost felt like I was cheating. There were a few races where I "unwrecked" for like 20 seconds to avoid the AI's shotgun blasts, cheaply placed mines etc. This sort of omniescence is kind of...well, it just seems less satisfying. Then again, it isn't exactly satisfying crashing 2 inches from the finish line in a 6 minute race, so I suppose it's a wash.

More analysis on the physics. These seem to be seriously fucked up and broken. Seriously, crash into a wall and see how you wreck. Then unwreck it and either A) don't change anything or B) change your trajectory *ever* so slightly. Chances are likely the outcome will be completely different. It's totally random. Also, what's up with the way hitting a rock flips you 500 feet in the air in a barrel roll? I mean shit, I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but that's kind of pushing it. While on the topic of jumps, it would appear that in the air you suddenly slow down to .5 mph and everyone passes you. What's up with that? I start a huge jump in first, then am in 4th by the time I land. They look uber cool, but there's no benefit (and it's actually detrimental) to hit them. Back to physics -- there is some good stuff that comes out of the over the top (and way random) engine. Seeing a whole shitload of cars bounce off each other and buck up in the air (flipping over each other all the while) is a hell of a sight to see. The crash sequences, as your car (or the person whom you just obliterated) is jet propelled into oblivion.

Finally, a few additional comments about the graphics. As mentioned before, particle effects are unreal. However, in particular, the smoke and explosions (i.e. when you machine gun a gas tanker) are simply sublime. There were a few points, unfortunately, where the game COMPLETELY stopped for me. As in paused in the middle of a race then continued on. It only happenned on one track (for about a 1/2 second each time), but it was pissed me off royally. Where's the polish on this damn game? The frame rate also goes to hell when all the cars are on screen firing shit, but that's at least somewhat excusable. Stutters where the game seemingly needs to load something (think a "skip" in a music CD) is just trashy and unacceptable.

I finished "B" class today. The action goes pretty fast, and it's fun enough. I'm still debating whether it was worth sixty clams, but for the time being I'm entertained. It's good, solid fun -- great for pick up 'n play in particular -- but it has a host of technical problems that could have been fixed with more time.

I still stand by the 7.5 - 8 score of last night. Probably somewhere around a 7.8 or so. I'd give it a rent, if possible, since you can probably see most of what the game has to offer in a five day rental.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Played some more tonight, and with that comes more impressions.

First of all, split screen. A lot of detail is lost in the graphics (obviously, as with most racing games). Surprisingly, the game manages to maintain a respectable frame-rate throughout -- comparable to the single player. Mind you, I doubt it hits over 30 FPS ever, but it stays pretty much locked there. Unfortunately, the lack of the unwreck feature really showcases some of the game's main flaws, particularly the already mentioned physics engine. Clipping a rock and barrel rolling through the air is ridiculous, and if you do it once in a race you're pretty much fucked without unwreck.

More comments on the graphics. The damage detail is unreal. The way the cars melt, grind and fall apart is stunning -- and it's all shown in real time, as you're driving. Seeing your car deform in a different fashion in seperate areas is way cool. It goes quite nicely with the orgy of particle effects that make their way on screen.

It seems that as the game goes on, the races get longer and longer. I had to attempt a 6 and a half minute race about 4 times to "Full Auto" it (basically think gold medal). That's ridiculous. This is mainly due to cheap crashes going around corners/off jumps. Hit something slightly "wrong" (I put it in quotes, as it seems random as to what causes your car to carreen ridiculously out of control) and you go flying hundreds of feet in a spiral, turtle, and blow up half a mile from the finish line. Or, alternatively, go around a corner and crash into a wall, getting stuck, and coming in 8th place. The controls and physics are just too damn unpredictable and random to be truly fun. I know I've said it before, but it becomes painfully more obvious as I delve into the game more and more.

From reading the Gamespot review, the custom soundtrack issue appears to be a bug. Yet another reason why this game isn't all that it could be. Rushed out the door to get some quick sales -- such is business, I suppose. Maybe a sequel will fix some of the glaring problems with the game.

Anyone else have any comments or thoughts? I know some other folks bought the game, so I'm interested in what you think. As for those who haven't bought the game, I think it's a good $30 - $40 purchase, but absolutely NOT worth $60. This might change depending on the online mode's features and replay value (which I still haven't scoped out yet -- not really in the mood to get beaten by 50 seconds at the moment).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you a professional reviewer? If not you should be as this 1 game review puts many magazines to shame. Well done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMaster
    Thanks for the info, I really wanted this game and thought the demo was fun as hell, however the reviews for Fullauto are all over the map.
    Well I wouldn't say they are all over the place. Mostly 6's and 7's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And stonic just reminded me, Burnout is basically Bump N Jump updated. It may be funny, but I'm not kidding.

Think about it!

The Full Auto demo just made me want to play Burnout. Or Bump n Jump.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the game stopped a Nirvana song midway through?
    At least the game has good taste.
    Resident Evil Themed Rock & Roll HEX CRANK

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every time that I walk into our local shop and see this game on the shelf, there's a little voice inside me that makes me want to buy it. I haven't heeded it yet. I played the OXM demo but the quality of the demo disc isn't great.

It's looks like a fun "rainy afternoon" game that doesn't pretend to be anything more than that. Looking back on various magazine preview articles, methinks that most of those "pro" reviewers were expecting far too much.

And "Road Warrior" cars will always be cool. It's the release price that's stopping me from buying it. If it goes to a greatest hits pricing I'd have no problem.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay.....so I caved.

I bought the game new for $70 Canadian. I needed a distraction from Oblivion.

I played a bunch of different modes and had great fun in all of them. I loved the graphics...way nicer than on the OPM demo, naturally. Particle effects? Oh yes....to say that you get "more" in the full build of the game is a gross understatement. There's chunks and slivers and shards of shit flying EVERYWHERE! You almost need safety glasses while playing. Tons more than on that demo.

The handling is super tight but way "powerslidey"....just the way a hi-octane nitrous-boosted arcade racer should be. It doesn't take long to learn huge Ridge Racer/ Colin McRae inspired drifts.

THIS is a classic "Dreamcast" game done in the true spirit of all of Sega's Dreamcast games...but incredibly pimped out for the 360. Thinking about this game afterwards got me to thinking. This game has all of the ingredients in it that would have made it a run away best seller not too long ago. Have we become so spoiled and picky that we collectively ignore a game that we would have eagerly given our left nut for?

I'm so glad that I bought this game. Full Auto is fun as hell with incredible eye candy to top it all off. There's nothing wrong with this game.....the problem is with "us".

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    THIS is a classic "Dreamcast" game done in the true spirit of all of Sega's Dreamcast games...
    YES! Thank you! I so wish I thought of that when I reviewed it. THAT'S what I was thinking the whole way through this when I played it; the words just never came together. I don't think anyone but a few people would have understood it (and some may think its criticizing it), but it needed to be said.

It's very Speed Devils like in its controls, and you absolutely right when you say this is a DC title in the best way possible.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe....don't feel bad, I've written my share of reviews too.

I could also add that this is one of those games that you fire up when you look at your collection and just don't feel like playing anything "heavy". Pop it in, blast around for a bit, unlock some skins, earn some Achievements, and move on to something else. Most Dreamcast games were created in the exact same vein......so I ask yet again. Why hasn't everyone bought Full Auto yet?

Speed Devils with weapons. Sums it up beautifully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, huh. I just realized that I'm sitting here thinking of AutoAssault, which is a different game ("pay a monthly fee to play Interstate 76 online"), and actually an MMOG.