Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which Review Scale is Better 'Out of 5' or 'Out of 10'

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tan
    one thing i'll add though is when i read OXM, i read more into the pros/cons or plus/minus that they include with the score, i find it gives me a better indication of a game's strengths and weaknesses and how it can relate to my tastes, while summing up a review in a few short statements.
    Yeah, I agree. It is a shame that most publications/sites I read actually waste this part. For instance, PC Gamer UK includes a little section like this at the end of the reviews and they are useless comments, sometimes just a single word, and really don't help.

The Advanced Media Network (advancedmn.com) are pretty good with the plus/minus thing, though.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    no, it doesn't, it makes it even worse cause the reviewer has to decide between a 2, 3 or 4 for an ~average game. Now, let's say it's a fantasy story-line, the game itself is subpar in it's genre, but he LOVES fantasy. He gives the game a 3, maybe even a 4 because it has some kind of micro-collecting (you know, like the Pokemons or Battle Trophys in Star Ocean) and he's an collecting addict. The game deserved a 2 though just based on technical (graphics, script, controls and so on) aspects. It jumped right from BAD into GOOD (which is the next below PERFECT!!) because of his bias. If the same thing happened with a 10-scale, it would have jumped from a 4 to a 6, maybe a 7. Still far away from being near-perfect. and now you want to tell us that on a scale of 5 the ratings are more objective averagely??? come on....
    Sounds like a dipshit whose reviews I'd be avoiding anyway.

You're treating the 5 point system like it's a 10 point scale. If it's an average game it gets a 3. There's no deciding between three grossly different grades, 2's below average and 4's good. So average game? That's a 3. Period. If the reviewer really enjoyed the collection aspect, then he should say so in his review but it shouldn't tilt his score.

The 10 point scale can be subjective for exactly the reason you posted. It's very easy to bump a game up a few notches for purely personal bias. The 5 point scale is much more limiting in that respect, and because of this limitation almost forces the reviewer to be objective.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I'd just like to say that in defence of the 5 point system, a 5/5 does not signify a perfect game. It signifies a simply remarkable game (RE4, God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc.) that trancends genres and should be accessable to anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I'd just like to say that in defence of the 5 point system, a 5/5 does not signify a perfect game. It signifies a simply remarkable game (RE4, God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc.) that trancends genres and should be accessable to anyone.
    exactly, there is no such thing as a perfect game