Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most impressive 1st generation game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Snes : Super Mario World
    N64 : Super Mario 64 (well goldeneye too, if it counts. doesnt really for the PAL imo-but its kinda borderline. It was being hyped i think in the first issues of N64 magazines here in the UK)
    SMS : Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Last edited by Trevelyan; 11-15-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: goldeneye...
    Chet: It's futuristic, but that's a crate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I'm surprised it took the second page to mention Halo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weren't Goldeneye and Turok 64 rreleased in the first year? If so, both those get my vote. Mortal Kombat and Sonic for Genesis also...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenpuppet View Post
    Weren't Goldeneye and Turok 64 rreleased in the first year?
    I really can't believe I went through 3 pages before the last post had Goldeneye. That was the first thing that I thought of. Probably the most played game in my collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0) codyz1112594's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    redsteelrox94

Default For ps2

Definitaley Jak and Daxter and the Precursor Legacy. That game had great graphics for early ps2, and amazing gameplay and storyline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would agree with PresidentLeever.

GEN: Revenge of Shinobi, Herzog Zwei, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Golden Axe, Forgotten worlds.

The genesis had the best (imo) best first gen games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenpuppet View Post
    Weren't Goldeneye and Turok 64 rreleased in the first year? If so, both those get my vote. Mortal Kombat and Sonic for Genesis also...
    I consider Goldeneye 007 the beginning of the N64's second generation. It was released 11 months after the U.S. N64 launch and 14 months after the Japanese N64 launch.

Am I wrong?

Mortal Kombat and Sonic the Hedgehog aren't first generation Genesis games, either.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that this is the classic forum.....but I simply HAVE to add what I thought was a breathtaking launch game for the PS2. If you want "WOW!!" factor....fire up Fantavision on an LCD TV, turn out the room lights and play this gorgeous fireworks puzzler. Once you get the hang of it, the game itself is very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All of these have been previously mentioned, but I'll second 'em..

SNES - Super Mario World
    32x - Doom
    Playstation - Battle Arena Toshinden
    N64 - Mario 64
    Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure

All of the above sold me on their respective system..

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Well. Instead of "first generation" the topic probably should have said "what are the best launch titles for a system." First generation would mean to most gamers what are the best Atari or Arcade titles way back when.

Anyways. For best launch titles or titles close to being launch titles. I'd say Super Mario Bros(NES,) Super Castlevania 4(SNES,) King's Field/KF2 in Japan(PSX)and Dynamite Cop(Dreamcast.) All are good games and are released fairly close to the launch dates. Also. Even though it's a little over a year after the US launch of the Saturn that we got it, I'll also mention Dragon Force(Saturn.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-14-2008 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Well. Instead of "first generation" the topic probably should have said "what are the best launch titles for a system." First generation would mean to most gamers what are the best Atari or Arcade titles way back when.

Anyways. For best launch titles or titles close to being launch titles. I'd say Super Mario Bros(NES,) Super Castlevania 4(SNES,) King's Field/KF2 in Japan(PSX)and Dynamite Cop(Dreamcast.) All are good games and are released fairly close to the launch dates. Also. Even though it's a little over a year after the US launch of the Saturn that we got it, I'll also mention Dragon Force(Saturn.)
    No love for Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, or Twilight Princess?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

Would Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 or Crazy Taxi for the Dreamcast be considered first-gen? If so, they get my vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Nikademus1969 View Post
    Would Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 or Crazy Taxi for the Dreamcast be considered first-gen? If so, they get my vote.
    Didn't both come out in 2000?
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, regardless if these were technically 1st gen or not, the following games thoroughly blew my mind when I got them.

SMB 1 & Duck Hunt - Ya, I mean, just videogame perfection these 2...

Sonic 1 Genesis - I VIVIDLY remember the first time I saw Sonic RUNNING accross the screen. He was literally moving too fast for my Mario-trained eyes! It was astounding.

Virtua Racing Deluxe & Doom 32X - I didn't know much if at all about either of these games when I got them for my 32X in late 1994. These games were just awesome to me, my first experience with great 3d gaming.

AvP & Tempest 2000 Jag - AvP scared the holy shit out of me. Tempest was similar to my experience with Sonic. I had NO IDEA what was happening on screen when I first started playing it. Once I learned what to do, I was HOOKED... Still one of the best videogames ever imo.

Playstation - A LOT of games on this system blew my mind. I was not expecting the PS to be SO awesome. Toshinden and Ridge Racer. Graphically mind blowing at the time. Warkhawk's graphics and Twisted Metal's uniqueness and incredible fun multi-player. Resident Evil!!! Man, when RE first came out, it was just flat out incredibly scary and good.
    Wipeout, I actually felt like I was in the future playing this amazing game. Still a huge WO fan to this day. Tekken, just awesome. THAT INTRO. Freaking amazing... Air Combat, mind blowingly good and realistic for its time. JUMPING FLASH! Holy cow, talk about a sleeper hit, that one. PS Doom. The best home console version of Doom period. Great updated lighting effects and haunting music. Just awesome. Alien Trilogy, awesome Doom clone with a great atmosphere and cut scenes.

Nintendo 64 - I'd had to say as far as initial huge shock upon seeing for the first time, Mario 64 and Sonic 1 tie. Sonic for it's speed, Mario 64 for it's SMOOTH AND HUGE 3d with NO PIXELS. At the time in 1996, a 3d game with no pixels was UNHEARD OF! It was just flat out amazing and a huge game. Pilotwings 64 - What a killer game this is as well. HUGE environments and great flight physics. A great soundtrack. Awesome mini-games.

WaveRace 64 - Holy crap @ the shock factor upon first seeing this in action in 1996. I was not expecting this game to be THAT special when I got it on its launch day in 1996, the 3rd N64 game released. When I first saw those waves when I got home, and first controlled the jet ski, I was floored.

Mario Kart 64 & Goldeneye 007 4 player mulitplayer - I have such fond memories playing these 2 games with a group of friends in highschool. Such heated matches, such awesome gameplay. Unmatched multiplayer joy to this day for me.

Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. Just WOW. I remember seeing the intro for the first time, and being a total car nut, I about starting giggling with glee. Just a MASSIVE and awesome game, even more awesome with the Logitech steering wheel. I swear to god that it's so realistic that this game will actually teach you how to drive like a racecar driver. The physics are just that good. Except for the non-existent crash physics of course hehe.

Tiger Woods golf on the PS2 was also astounding to me since I'm a golf fan. I was used to PGA Tour Golf on the Genesis! ...
    Last edited by Kevincal; 11-14-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SMB wasn't a launch title for the NES if you count the Famicom. Fami came out in 83, SMB came out in 85.

Insert Coin (Level 0) codyz1112594's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    redsteelrox94

Default Psx

Rayman is still an amazing game!
    IM PLAYING: SPYRO 2 (100%)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It sure is!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    No love for Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, or Twilight Princess?
    Super Mario World was a great game, but I decided that I already listed the much better Super Castlevania 4.

I don't consider Twilight Princess a launch title since it's really originally a Gamecube game in which Nintendo fucked all the fans by pushing the release date back over a year to release it on the Wii first. I call Twilight Princess a port, because it's just what it is, a port that came out before the system it was ported from.

Then finally. I've never liked Super Mario 64. The camera was awful and the reason the gameplay was even lengthy in the least was there were so many stars in the incredibly small maps. If you didn't have to go into each stage 947 times, then the game would have probably been an hour long game with a poor camera. Running past the same areas atleast seven times to collect each star.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-16-2008 at 01:22 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Close call between SMW for SNES and Donkey Kong for Colecovision, but I'm leaning toward DK. Simply amazing back in the day. If you played it with a 2600 joystick, that is.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was pretty impressed by Astal, simply because all the focus was on 3D games, and Astal showed that there was a "next-gen" for 2D graphics as well. There had already been Rayman and Gex, but Astal blew those two away, IMO.

I also found CPU Bach to be quite impressive. Not for the graphics, obviously, but just for what it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.