Thread: List of original games playable on other hardware?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default List of original games playable on other hardware?

I'm on the road alot, and i was thinking -- wouldn't it be nice to play all my original games on one piece of hardware when I travel? I always have my PS2 or my Saturn and a DS with me (and a bunch of games for each system), but I thought if I could play my Sega CD, DC, Saturn, PS1, etc games all on one system it would make traveling for work alot nicer.

Now I don't know much about emulation, and I don't go for the piracy thing, but I wondered, can I play NeoGeo CD games on a DC? Saturn on a laptop? Of course original hardware is best, but what is doable?

What original CD-based games are playable on either other consoles (i'm thinking DC here) or on a fast laptop via emulation? I'd just like to take a CD wallet of some of my games and a system or PC to play them on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

The Chankast DC emulator is pretty good.

Make sure you read the doc's thoroughly! It's a little tricky using. It runs most games near or at full speed on my P4 2.8HT laptop, 1 gig ddr2 3200, ati x600 graphics card.

It only runs off the backups, though. Doesn't work with any of my commercial games. And not all games work.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Just get a modded Xbox and all of the BAED discs, you'll never have a chance to play all the games in your lifetime, F$%# DC emulation or any other system for that matter.

www.xbox-scene.com

Not that I don't love DC by itself but nothing except a very powerful PC comes close to a good box, I think the simplicity of the box makes it better than PC. Plus I am mostly into pre PS1 games, of which 99% are playable.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The xbox can also directly play both sega cd games and tg-cd games, put the disc in the drive, load up the emulator and it works great.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

get a laptop, download lots of roms. if you wanna feel good about it, download only the ones you own

you can go up to PSX with emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: List of original games playable on other hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by smork
    ...can I play NeoGeo CD games on a DC?
    Yup, Neo4ALL is a GREAT NeoGeo CD emulator. You burn it to a CD, boot it up, and swap in your NeoGeo CD.

http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/neo4all.html

Read the docs, search around, and you should be good to go. There's also early development work to allow the emulator to play AES ROMs but that's a way off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Yup, Neo4ALL is a GREAT NeoGeo CD emulator. You burn it to a CD, boot it up, and swap in your NeoGeo CD.

Read the docs, search around, and you should be good to go. There's also early development work to allow the emulator to play AES ROMs but that's a way off.
    Er, no, thats already been released. It works with all the smaller games apparantely but not the larger ones as they need to be patched into the small memory of the Dreamcast so only a handful of them (inc. SVC Chaos) work. I haven't tried it myself but have heard good things.
    Also, for the NeoCD, you may need to rip and reassemble the CD for some games because some use this wierd file system which the Dreamcast doesn't recognise (and neither does a lot of the programs on my PC actually, Nero locks up completely when it reaches that portion of the disc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julio III
    There's also early development work to allow the emulator to play AES ROMs but that's a way off.
    Er, no, thats already been released. It works with all the smaller games apparantely but not the larger ones as they need to be patched into the small memory of the Dreamcast so only a handful of them (inc. SVC Chaos) work. I haven't tried it myself but have heard good things.
    As someone who has tried it himself and has been part of the small community constantly converting, patching, burning, and testing the games as each release and prefetch file comes out I can tell you it's still in heavy early development. (Neo4All/AES, not Neo4All) Just the same, even the very first release was indeed quite impressive although even if things ran great initally bugs would pop up late into the games. Then again it's based off the Neo4All code so great support out of the gate was expected.

As better versions of the emulator are released (which happened a few times in the weeks after the initial release) more and more prefetch patches are written that load up the game's data at the start so the game will run smoothly.

It's still not really a public project because there is not yet an official distribution page for it, just the stuff crosslinked at DCS and DCEmu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds great, i'm going to have to DL that and give it a go. How does running on the DC affect the load times -- is it more like a CD or a CDZ -- or quicker?

I do have a modded XBox, but I just use it for the region code removal (I bounce between North America and Asia, so it's good to have the ability to play both at my disposal) -- i've never tried to run anything but original XBox software on it. I'm going to have to try it with the TG-CD games, though, as I got a few of those that would be nice to play w/o breaking out the Duo.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

That sounds great, i'm going to have to DL that and give it a go. How does running on the DC affect the load times -- is it more like a CD or a CDZ -- or quicker?
    I've heard it's comprible to the CDZ but I'm not a NeoGeo CD gamer myself so I can't vouch for that personally. One would assume it would be faster given the faster CD drive but in terms of the emulation sometimes data with certian platforms has to be read in at the original speed or in the original order. (Famicom Disk System games for instance)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard it was MUCH faster but have yet to try it.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On my PC (or laptop):
    Xbox 360 controller, USB
    Genesis
    SNES
    NES
    TurboGrafx/PC Engine/CD
    Nintendo 64
    Neo Geo
    Playstation
    All looking much better than the original versions and running flawlessly.
    Sure, it won't cover the next gen games, but with all that and more, do you really need it to?
    Saturn emulation might get there eventually, that last release was pretty impressive, so you might be able to add that to the list pretty soon.
    Don't discount emulation or whatever you consider "piracy", it's your best bet to do what you want, and it's a lot easier to carry around a laptop than it is a monstrosity of an xbox that won't even play everything I mentioned above.
    Resident Evil Themed Rock & Roll HEX CRANK