Thread: Gaming in Florida

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gaming in Florida

I have a trip planned for the end of march to florida and while i was down there i figured i would hit a couple of thrifts and whatnot....basically is there any must go places while i am there. I will be staying inside unniversal studios, so I guess anything in the Orlando area.
    Remember kids the most important thing to learn is to never try - Homer Simpson

-vampyr643

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hm well i guess we have no gamerz in florida...that means any places I find should be chalked full of stuff. :P

-vampyr643

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a sort of ma-and-pa store on Colonial Drive (Hwy 50) a few miles west of I4 which isn't big, but they have a lot of NES and 16-bit stuff. I don't recall the name, though, S&F Games or something? There is also Flea World (www.fleaworld.com) in Sanford that has a Game Traders, which usually has some pretty good stuff. Some days I've gotten TONS of great stuff cheap, other days their selection isn't so hot. But definitely worth a try.

For actual gaming, next door to Flea World is Fun World which supposedly has a decent (~10 games) classic arcade, though I've never been myself. It's north/east on I4, probably 45 minutes from Universal. I was in the Disney Quest about five years ago and they had an awesome classic arcade, but recent posts on classicgaming.com say that it's gone downhill quite a bit.

Sadly, I don't know of any more good thrifts or stores. I wish I did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There isn't much in Central FL, unfortunately.

The one on Colonial near I4 (S&F sounds about right) is pretty small, and I didn't really see much there the time I went (though it was fun to watch the owners, an older couple, playing FFVIII and FFX while we were there). The stuff in Flea World is pretty good though, but the prices aren't the best. I remember seeing some stall had a massive amount of Saturn games still sealed, but nothing amazing.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Putney
    The stuff in Flea World is pretty good though, but the prices aren't the best. I remember seeing some stall had a massive amount of Saturn games still sealed, but nothing amazing.
    *sigh* How things have changed in the past 5-10 years... Flea World used to have so much great stuff. I built up most of my (former) TG16, SNES, Saturn and PS1 collections via the vendors at Flea World.

On a different note, I wonder if the Video Game Dungeon at the Daytona Flea Market is still around?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    Quote Originally Posted by Putney
    The stuff in Flea World is pretty good though, but the prices aren't the best. I remember seeing some stall had a massive amount of Saturn games still sealed, but nothing amazing.
    *sigh* How things have changed in the past 5-10 years... Flea World used to have so much great stuff. I built up most of my (former) TG16, SNES, Saturn and PS1 collections via the vendors at Flea World.

On a different note, I wonder if the Video Game Dungeon at the Daytona Flea Market is still around?
    VG Dungeon is still around and crazy busy every time I've been there. Some good stuff, but the prices are about average.

Flea World isn't too bad, just make sure you know your prices before you buy. Since they have 4-5 game sellers at any given week, the selection is generally pretty good, but its hard to find steals. Also in the past few years I've seen many more pirate carts so be careful, especially if you are looking at loose GBA games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire
    There's a sort of ma-and-pa store on Colonial Drive (Hwy 50) a few miles west of I4 which isn't big, but they have a lot of NES and 16-bit stuff. I don't recall the name, though, S&F Games or something? There is also Flea World (www.fleaworld.com) in Sanford that has a Game Traders, which usually has some pretty good stuff. Some days I've gotten TONS of great stuff cheap, other days their selection isn't so hot. But definitely worth a try.

For actual gaming, next door to Flea World is Fun World which supposedly has a decent (~10 games) classic arcade, though I've never been myself. It's north/east on I4, probably 45 minutes from Universal. I was in the Disney Quest about five years ago and they had an awesome classic arcade, but recent posts on classicgaming.com say that it's gone downhill quite a bit.

Sadly, I don't know of any more good thrifts or stores. I wish I did.

Ya, Orlando really isn't great for finding stuff. Flea World has a lot but the prices are high. Had a vender not bargain with me because I had a self made price guide I was using to find deals(I didn't buy from him).

That ma And pa shop is cool. I've been there. Again, the prices are high and you might as well shop ebay, but it's a neat little store.

My favorite place was the flea market off of I-95 in melbourne. Just over an hour from universal. I used to get deals there all the time (where I got contra force for $2, 9 vboy games for like $20, had waterworld in there). But the vendors there have caught onto the new collecting trend and investigate values more now, so it's harder to find a deal. Havn't been there in about a year.

Pawn shops and thrift stores here all suck. I wouldn't bother much with them.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's this Video Game Dungeon at Daytona? I went to the Daytona Flea Market (right off I4/I95) and they had absolutely nothing. I think there was a one-table Game Traders there that had 90% dvds.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Surprisingly, I still have one of their cards lying around, even though I haven't been there in over three years (no surprise, considering that I haven't lived in Florida for that long). Unless they've changed locations, they're in building E-2, one of the air conditioned ones.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flea World used to be great. When I went last year most of the game vendors were closed. Only a couple were open and it was disappointing.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Raven1280's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fleaworld is good even more so if you go on the weekend. Some of the dealers dont open on Fridays. As for S&F video games, I called them back in 98ish looking for a jaguar system. When I asked the old lady if they had any she acted like i was from Mars and had just pissed on her leg. She was a complete bitch! I had gone in there one time and was very uninpressed. As for their stock they didnt have much from what I recall. Unless things have changed I dont know how they stay in business.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very cool thanks for the info if anyone wants to meet me there i will post the day and rough time if i can get there would like to meet some other gamers from the area.

-vampyr643