How many people collect game systems for kids? How many people consider kid game systems as actual consoles?

This thread downstairs inspired me to make this thread.

For the longest time I didn't consider kids game systems to be consoles, and I have never considered them to be worth collecting for. Yes, I am talking about you, Sega Pico and also you View-Master InteractiveVision. To me, systems like these are little more than an interesting foot-note in the history of video gaming.

What's been happening in recent years is that more and more we see video game systems being developed specifically for children.

In 2002 Fischer Price relased the Pixter. Though this is a cartridge based format, it is easily dismissed as not being a true video game system. More like a kids toy mock up of a Palm Pilot.

Recently Vtech released the Vtech V.Smile.

And also the V.Smile Pocket.

Clearly these are true video game systems. But do they have any value as game systems? In my opinion, no; especially as their software is not entertain, it is to educate. Perhaps they are more of a toy than a true console?

But then I read this press release and they are coming out with a Vtech V.Smile Baby for kids aged 6-36 months. I am excited, as my kids are 5 and 17 months. I am definately getting this product for them as soon as it comes out, whether I consider it to be a console or a toy. I regconize the value that the game medium has in terms of education and interactivity.

[I even eBayed an InteractiveVision for my 17-month old son, which he loves.)

In short, do you consider these systems to be true consoles? Do you collect for them? How do you fellow DPer daddies (or mommies) feel about these sort of game systems?