NICE...

(From IGN.COM)

EA vs. 2K: The Results
Who makes the best sports games? Full results and reader comments.
by Jon Robinson
January 6, 2006 - We asked the questions, you gave us the answers, and a clear winner has been decided. IGN Sports logged almost 200,000 votes from our passionate readers, many of whom put that passion to pen (or in this case, keyboard) in order to let not only their votes be heard, but their voices as well.

Here are the final results of the EA vs. 2K survey.

1. Who makes the best sports games?

2K Sports: 63%
EA Sports: 37%

Reader Response: First I would like to say that both companies are needed to keep the market competitive and allow choice for gamers. If one company is allowed to control our playing experience then our experiences will be limited to that company's vision or lack thereof. A small developer with big ideas should be able to express themselves so that we the consumer get the best experience possible. This is not possible if a single entity owns the licensing rights to a particular sport. That said, a leader needs to be chosen in the sports genre. And in this genre there are two heavyweights, EA and 2K Games (Visual Concepts). Everyone knows that EA is the largest software developer on the planet and it has a lot to due with the sound decisions they have made. They have a really long history in the business and a very diverse catalog of games. Lets face it, no matter what they do wrong they manage to get something right. That said, EA is not the holy grail they would like you to believe. Think about it, if their product was so good why did they need to buy the license so no one else could make games in that category. If their product was that much better than the competition's, the competition would not thrive. The truth is 2K games aggressively dug in their pockets with a great pricing strategy and more often than not a BETTER PRODUCT! EA has the ability and unlimited resource to put a shine on a game so bright that it is hard to see its faults. Sure they make a really good product, but not always the best product. The reason 2K has the quality advantage over EA is that they are not afraid to reinvent themselves. EA typically builds a game engine and rides it till you can't tolerate it any more. They usually update the existing engine with more features, rarely ever addressing the existing problems (i.e. Football players heads with their helmets off are not proportionate to their bodies, NBA players skate on hardwood courts, etc.). These problems have existed since the O.G. PSX. 2K Games on the other hand, while not perfect, they rarely make the same mistake twice (cough... cough... EA are you listening... cough... cough). Their games change (for better or worse... usually better) with each iteration. Furthermore, 2K games is not afraid of competition, they embrace it. This is evidenced by their ever expanding sport franchises and their willingness to fight the bully back with similar tactics (The MLB deal). My response is not inspired by who makes better sims or arcade like experiences because each style of play has its own followers and a place in gaming. Its based on the overall quality of the final product. To me that is all that matters. And if I had to pick a winner I choose 2K for their ability to reinvent and refine year in and year out.

DaBeatman

Ok, The reason I give the edge to EA is not because I think Madden is Better than the 2K series, but it is because of the different genres that EA has. 2K Games sticks with straight up sports games, but for some of us who are looking for something a little bit more, EA has your fix. From the "Street" series, to SSX, to over-the-pond titles like Fifa and Rugby, EA has a choice for everyman. They are even taking on college baseball. The debate will go on for years to come as to which company has the better NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA title, but the question asked was "What company makes the better sports games?". My vote is for EA because there is no other fix out there for players like me who want over the top action sometimes (unless you count Midway and the NBA Jam series, which in its latest incarnation was laughable at best).

Lewis Fuqua

I have been waiting for an article like this to come out for a long time to finally settle the score. But when I really started to think about it, I'm not sure if there is a decisive winner. Even if you are a die-hard loyalist to one or the other, it would be a huge mistake not to try out the competition once in a while.

I think 2K sports made it easier for a lot of fans to try out both sides last year when they released their sports titles at the $19.99 price point. Being exposed to something else besides EA was a real eye-opener because they have dominated this genre for so long and it was refreshing to see another game developer make comparable games.

As far as NHL games go, I think EA is has the upperhand to 2K sports. For basketball games (both college & NBA) I am still undecided, but it seems as if 2K sports is evolving faster with more innovative graphics, presentations, and gameplay.

And of course let's not forget football.

Everyone knows that Madden has always dominated the market and created an undeniable devout following of fans. Even when 2K sports released their football titles back when they were Sega Sports, the games did not garner much attention. Up to this point it appeared as if their wasn't a clear favorite, but I'd probably still give the edge to Madden. Then in 2004, 2K sports released ESPN NFL 2K5 and blew the competition away. This game by far was the best football game ever made. Even now, I would encourage the most dedicated Madden fans to play NFL 2K5 at least once.

Obviously, none of that matters anymore because of EA's exclusive license with the NFL. Initially, I wasn't completely upset until I realized that EA also had exclusive licenses with NCAA Football and the Arena Football League. Shutting everyone else out of using the NFL is one thing, but shutting everyone else out of the entire sport of football is something completely different. Oh sure, you can just make up football teams like Blitz The League did with Ron Mexico as your starting quarterback, but it's just not the same.

I'm not hating on EA or Madden, but I am hating on monopolizing the market that ultimately leaves the consumer with only one choice of product no matter what the quality of the product may be. I think it would be just as ridiculous if it were 2K sports that was granted the exclusive license and EA couldn't make Madden anymore. As a matter of fact, I will be extremely upset if the NHL grants 2K sports an exclusive license because I am a huge fan of EA's NHL series.

Having the release of all the sports titles each year was a highlight because you got to review and compare both the EA title and 2K sports title for each sport and decide which is the best for that year. Sometimes EA got my vote and sometimes 2K sports got my vote and sometimes I'd pick both.

The point is I had an option. The point is I had a choice. The point is I could let my voice be heard with the selection I made.

Who makes the better sports games? Neither side. The reason? Because exclusive licenses completely remove any competition between EA and 2K sports leaving the consumer with only one candidate to choose from which makes this entire debate irrelevant.

I would like to think it was the customer that drove these companies to innovate and outperform each other each and every year. Unfortunately, neither game developer is obligated or motivated to innovate anymore or produce anything substantial from the previous year's version.

Dave_Ruberg

Just thought I'd say a little something.. I think EA sports has been doing an awesome job with their games, especially Madden, NBA Live, and MVP.. 2K6 can't touch those games... The EA games feel the most professional of all the sports games, 2K6 just has a cheap feel to their games

Robbie Greiner

I don't think it is possible to say one company makes better "sports" games than the other. I like 2K football. I like EA Baseball. EA has the resources to make the best sports games around, but they have gotten too big for their own good. The are now more concerned with what appeals to the general audience and what will sell more units. Fewer risks are taken since they stick to a tried and true formula that generate sales at the expense of innovation.

Juan

First of all I would like to say thank you for service. It is a pleasure as a Gamer to have you as a resource. Next I would like to address your survey, EA vs 2K. As usual your timing could not be more perfect. I am what you might call a throwback or old school gamer because I have been playing video games since pong. I remember when EA was Electronic Arts and they specialized in PC games. Then consoles became popular and like any good business they tried their hand. With excellent themes, great graphics(for that time) and exciting game play, EA became a household name. But 2K came along with even better graphics and an almost unmatchable realistic gameplay and a war began. To the benefit of the gamer. Every year the two companies secretly built what they proposed to be the best sports simulation title especially in football. I myself swore by Madden but I would always at least rent or play 2k football as well. But my friends and the tournaments rested with Madden and so did I. It was the popular thing to do. Until 2k5 football arrived. In all my years of gaming I have never before applauded a companies' effort with a product but I did with 2k5. Simply put it was the best looking, playing, sounding, teaching, individual, group, priced video console sports simulation made EVER. Even the Madden die hards had to admit 2k had finally done it and for 19.99! Lets face it they already owned the basketball title, where hard to beat in baseball, and put forth a winner in hockey every year. Then exclusive licensing came up in football, Ea won the bid, 2k lost and football video gaming has been suffering ever since. Sometimes in life the winner is the loser. When EA won the NFL exclusive license bid, 2K lost, consoles lost, competition lost and most of all WE as gamers lost. And it will never be the same again. We built Electronic Arts into a conglomerate and they thanked us by winning the bid and putting forth a lackluster effort in the best genre in sports video gaming. I hoped the next generation would change my thoughts but they kept their workers up all night for months and produced a mediocre to below standard football game. To add insult to injury 2K sports has the best simulation on the new XBOX 360 system and leaves everyone begging the question…..WHAT WOULD THEIR FOOTBALL HAVE BEEN LIKE? And the shame is we will never know. Evolution is a part of life and so it is in business as well but as a gamer I wish "exclusive licensing" had nothing to do with the evolution of football video gaming because EA is killing the genre that 2K perfected.

Hoping 2K builds a no name next generation football game,

MIDI

Hi, I love EA sports games. To me, 2K sports games seem too much like arcade games even though you guys think otherwise. In basketball the players look hunched over when they dribble and they move way too slow. Even though the players move way too fast on Live the gameplay is better. The freestyle stick is way better than having to press one of the top buttons along with another button just to do a crossover. In baseball it was a huge mistake to sign exclusively with 2K. MVP was the best baseball game I've ever played. The throwing meters made the game more realistic, by going to far in the red the throw is off the mark. In football there's not even an argument. Madden is far superior. Hockey, i think, is a toss up. Even though 2 K sports might have a little bit better graphics the player models and realism of gameplay is better in EA games.

Steve
Racine, WI

Wow you guys are bold for putting this poll up, in the sports gaming world this is the Yanks vs Sox battle. I've been a fan of the 2k series because they have been both innovative both in gameplay and graphics for a long time. I just think that EA has been really sloppy for a long time and people just don't care enough to not buy a Madden game or Live game just because its from EA. Now i do believe though that EA BIG has found a great niche of gamers with the street series and I'm looking forward to that on the next gen systems and also Fight Night is gonna be sick. I would love to 2k get the chance to get back into the football game and maybe take a shot at some other sports. Exclusivity has really killed the spots genre and I wish the leagues would consider the gamer when they do these deals and it seems a little stupid for their bottom line. Why not get paid from two companies instead of one?

Thanks IGN,
Kahlief Adams

I was so waiting until someone asked the question "Who is the better sport game creators." My choices are clearly leaning towards the 2K series, and for good reason.

I grew up on John Madden and Joe Montana football. Now back in the day, all those in-game glitches, "cheese" play, and in-depth of the games were not a huge concern with people - If they got to play with their favorite team in a video game for a season, it was bliss. Nowadays, you are criticized from a billion different sources soon as you launch a game, good or bad you will get judged.

When I started to really take notice into a games depth was about the time online console play became launched. I first started with the PS2 and Madden...02 I believe it was. I was so excited to be able to play anyone around the world in the game I thought I was unstoppable in. It sure was a blast, but soon a games mechanics weaknesses were exploited to the grills, just to get the win. Now that will spark a entire different debate in total, so I will stop there. But overall, being able to challenge anyone 1 one 1 or with some friends against their friends in any sports game is real cool.

I then looked into trying online play with my dreamcast and my NFL 2K football game. I was real worried at first that lag would really murder the game, since I only had a dial up connection available, but the gameplay was real smooth even on dialup. I then noticed how more realistic it began to feel compared to Madden. As I played more online opponents, I was completely sucked into 2K sports. The gameplay is just that good. Its also great in 2K's hockey series. 2K's NBA line to me feels a bit sluggish, and with some fine tuning can definitely blast away any other NBA game around.

Me, personally, I am a huge football fan. When I heard that EA sports signed a 5 year exclusives right deal, I was heartbroken. I very much looked forward to 2K6 football. Madden may throw new modes, new "additions" (QB vision is a crock!) But 2K throws realism, and great gameplay - and YEARLY was working to improve its offline franchise, and other game modes. I to this day still play 2K5 football online. I do own Madden 06, and although I am 100% on 2K's side, I needed a football game. I would of traded Madden right in the day after I bought it but my younger brother enjoys it, so at least it isnt a 50 dollar coaster.

Those are my thoughts, 2K SPORTS FOREVER ------- BRING BACK 2K FOOTBALL PLEASE ! (I know you can't, but I'm dyin' here ;( )

There is more, check it out at ign.com... nice to see 2k gettin some love