Thread: Does anyone know where to get a Sharp X68000 ?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone know where to get a Sharp X68000 ?

I have been trying to get one of these computers, mainly due to all the great Konami shooters and the midi soundtrack arranged from the original arcade. I hope I don't have to fly to Japan just to get this computer. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Does anyone know where to get a Sharp X68000 ?

NFGman might still have one available, but I doubt that...I got my first one off Yahoo! Auctions Japan, via a middleman. There are a number of individuals or businesses that will act in this capacity; just find an auction and have them bid on it for you.

On the actual machine...as I recall I paid something like $400 for one and fifty games (many of them in excellent condition, a few now so much). Add on some for shipping, maybe as much as $100 depending on how you're getting it shipped and what it contains (I think it only cost me $50; I was lucky in that I got it shipped via surface mail by the military, heh).

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yahoo Japan is a good bet. Use a freight forwarding company like Celga...for a fee, they will do all the talking, bidding and shipping for you. If you don't speak Japanese, it is an incredibly useful service.

Don't use Rinkya...they will definitely screw you eventually.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thanks

Many thanks for the Celga referral, I just emailed them, let's see how it goes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before asking a bidder, you should check the average prices they go for.
    http://list3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...p&mode=1&apg=1
    http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/s...ale=0jp&mode=1

The problem with yahoo auctions is that sometimes you buy stuff for prices you thought unbelievable until then.
    After two or three months, you realise you paid three times the average japanese price lol

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The problem with yahoo auctions is that sometimes you buy stuff for prices you thought unbelievable until then.
    After two or three months, you realise you paid three times the average japanese price lol
    True, true, true. You will pay the company their commission, and you will pay two shipping charges. One to get the product to them, and one to get the product to you. They will mark up the shipping too.

If you've got the dough, Celga is the Service of the Gods, though. As you probably know, some items will NEVER appear on eBay, but will show up with some frequency on Yahoo Japan.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

True. On Y!AJ, buy in lots (easy with x68000, I imagine). You'll just have to deal with any bad condition stuff.

So really work through the numbers before you go after things there instead of on eBay. Don't just use it for the feeling - eBay sellers of x68000/FM Towns goods generally are excellent about describing items and fast shippers (I can say Dream Stars Japan and 16-bit are good, don't know about this saltypear and/or whoever's listing a joystick for $99, for example ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Of course you know there are also X68000 emulators.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Of course you know there are also X68000 emulators.
    Earlier I said "man, I must be white...I can't jump in Chelnov!" Actually, I was able to set up my copy of WinX68kHighSpeed from JCEC within a few minutes and get playing, but for the life of me I can't get the key two buttons to the left of Space to work on that thing! It can be a pain to set up correctly, plus the video modes are a bit lacking. Yes, the emulators are awesome, but having the real thing means that you get to use the real machine's controllers (assuming you have them). That's a definite plus.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Emulators

I agree that it is better to have the real thing than using the emulators. I have worked with the X68000 emulators (XM6, Win68K, EX68), they are a great tease until I can actually track down a X68000 system without costing me an arm and a leg with the middleman or overpriced shipping. I deal with Dream Stars Japan a lot and he (Toshi) is hesitant in sending me a X68000 system because he is very worried that the system will get damaged during shipping. In addition, he also states that I will need to buy an X68000 monitor since the X68000 can't be used with a a regular PC SVGA monitor (is this true ?). Do any of you know what the X68000 can be hooked up to (TV, Amiga RGB monitor with Scart, SVGA PC monitor, XRGB boxes) ?

Many Thanks to all the posters, I really appreciate the help as this system isn't exactly easy to get.