that is all

*goes back to kick his turbo grafx 16*

it cheats :-(

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm..I have this on turbo grafx cd but I've never played it....what's so bad about it? I guess I'll throw it in today and find out ;D.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

The Turbo version of Valis III is damned hard, yes. Excellent game, though. I would buy it again in an instant if I ever get another Duo, and I'd make it a point to track down the other games in the series as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

thats the only one i havent played. i own the syd of valis and valis for genesis though :/
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

The Genesis version of Valis III is much, much easier than the Turbo version, mostly due to some of the hardest parts being removed from the Genny version.

I recommend getting both versions and seeing which one you like better.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

hmm ok, first i need a turbo of a friend with one hehe. some day i'll get one right now i am saving for beatmania later this month
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What part you stuck on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its all about that part where you need to freeze the platforms... the horror...

Genesis version dropped that, but I still like the TurboGrafx version better.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Its all about that part where you need to freeze the platforms... the horror...
    thats about where i was getting frustrated.

truth be told I love the series and the game, but I never got the tg16 version till recently and I'm surpsied at how very differnt the game and levels are.

maybe a shard too hard in some parts, but more of a challenge then the genesis one (blew through the genesis one in one sitting back in the day..much to the dismay of my friend who bought it that day)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I've enjoyed, Valis 3 on the TG16.

Hard yeah but not... impossible once you get the game down right.

No offense to the, Genesis version while it's easyer it's just a edited game :P

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get stuck at the boss in the ice level. Even when I get the pattern down, I have trouble sticking to it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chuckwalla's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like Valis III on the Genesis. The control is excellent, the graphics sharp, and playability just about right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I agree. It may be edited, but if you've never played the PCE or TG16 version, you'd never know it.

On a side yet related note, the SNES Super Valis IV just feels edited. Even without playing the PCE game, smething just feels missing from the SNES version. Turns out it was quite a bit that had been chopped... and given that Telenet was able to produce a version of Valis III that was still about 85% complete on the Genesis, the fact that so much was missing from Super Valis IV (which came out a couple of years after the Genesis Valis III), which was on a more advanced system, just reeks of laziness.

Or maybe it was that they didn't want to give the SFC a great version of Valis IV, I don't know...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    On a side yet related note, the SNES Super Valis IV just feels edited. Even without playing the PCE game, something just feels missing from the SNES version. Turns out it was quite a bit that had been chopped... and given that Telenet was able to produce a version of Valis III that was still about 85% complete on the Genesis, the fact that so much was missing from Super Valis IV (which came out a couple of years after the Genesis Valis III), which was on a more advanced system, just reeks of laziness.

Or maybe it was that they didn't want to give the SFC a great version of Valis IV, I don't know...
    Super Valis IV is a remake in the mold of Dracula X for the SNES. In other words, it has nothing to do with the original PC Engine title for the most part.

As for the PCE version of Valis IV, I think it is the best in the series by far. Some say they like the Riot-developed remake of Fantasm Soldier Valis better, but I disagree. That game has a completely different art-style and just feels like a different game. IV retains a good amount of the frustrations from previous versions unfortunately, but the production values just feel higher. It is amazing that it isn't a Super CD. Much like Seirei Senshi Spriggan, it has excellent graphics and music for a CDROM2 game. It also has the three character play from Valis 3 as well, unlike the SNES version.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but everyone who even had a passing interest in the previous Valis game should really check out the real Valis IV.

The Super Famicom Ys IV suffers the same fate. Weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    Super Valis IV is a remake in the mold of Dracula X for the SNES. In other words, it has nothing to do with the original PC Engine title for the most part.
    Now I'm embarrassed. For years I've been doing my best to debunk the myth that Castlevania Dracula X is a "bad port" of the PCE game, yet I've been referring to Super Valis IV as a bad port of the PCE game all this time! Thinking back on them both... yeah, SV4 really is a different game. It's pretty good for what it is, but it's definitely not the PCE game.

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    As for the PCE version of Valis IV, I think it is the best in the series by far. Some say they like the Riot-developed remake of Fantasm Soldier Valis better, but I disagree. That game has a completely different art-style and just feels like a different game. IV retains a good amount of the frustrations from previous versions unfortunately, but the production values just feel higher. It is amazing that it isn't a Super CD. Much like Seirei Senshi Spriggan, it has excellent graphics and music for a CDROM2 game. It also has the three character play from Valis 3 as well, unlike the SNES version.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but everyone who even had a passing interest in the previous Valis game should really check out the real Valis IV.
    Yeah, the PCE Valis IV is incredible. I wish I still had my copy... and my copies of the first three... and my Duo to play them on... but hey, there's no use crying over spilled mitochondria.

Anyway, I recall playing Valis IV for the first time and thinking "wow, this is great - and boy does it beat the SNES version." I second klausien's recommendation.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I need to get me a super system card for my tg16, I have valis 4 but no means to play it (though I proably could use magic engine now that I think of it...)

the valis series was always pretty enjoyable ,thankfully its one that wasn't butchered with a 3d "Sequel"

maybe they should make a gba/ds collection of all the originals :-)