Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Mario Bros. Race

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it was planned for the one guy to crash into the lava bubble right before Bowser.

Did anyone notice how AFTER getting hit by that unexpected lava bubble and being shrunk and surely thrown off that he almost runs right through bowser and somehow manages to squeek by. WIWOOOWEEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    6:00 is cheesecake.
    Nahh its beyond what your talking about, there's dynamics that your not either not addressing or aren't aware of.

Considering I've competed solo in events in front of crowds as large and bigger than that. And with that sheer amount of focus on you all at once, with you being the one driving all of that focus, it will turn your legs instantly into buttered ramen due to even the slightest waver. And I wasn't dressed as luigi for that matter either.

Sure, running along the top of 1-2 was a "slow-no" but 90% of the people in the auditorium might never have saw that shortcut before, it got them CHEERING THE LOUDEST YET. I say shortcut because to that particular audience it was like the most impressive thing ever to see that the level could be "cheated" like that and all obstacles avoided. It was actually a smart plan, I'm sure the majority of the viewers of that preformance will have thought it more amazing and probably not have noticed or cheered as much if "Mario & Luigi" had saved a few seconds by not running along the tops. You can be annoyed by that though there was good merit.

You've talked about filming skateboarding before but this is only a metaphor. Its like when Tony Hawk skates and does kickflip 540 varials. Yes it is more awesome and it is more advanced and technical. But to your average looky-loo watching the next skateboarder who is doing bigger airs higher than Tony Hawk was, will make them say WOW look how high he jumped his board!

What those guys did is about like an Am skateboard rider on a street course doing all in one 45 second run the first try; a hardflip nosegrind, proceeding to fs 180 flip over the car jump, nollie 360 the transfer and then top it of with a kickflip bs lipslide down the ten stair rail.

Oh yeah and that thing were he got hit by the bubble and then rushed Bowser might then be analogous to encoring after your 45 second alotted time was up (not recomended) by heading back to the car jump and then shooting your board through both open windows on the car and then catching it down the ramp on the other side. See how hes then done a dynomite preformance by TAKING LONGER THAN THE TIME EXPECTED TO FINISH HIS RUN. See how that works? Not to mention both players had the distributed awareness to tell when each other were even only a little further apart in stages.

The Conclusion is Class

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All valid points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Excellent work, now I wanna see them do that on super mario 3 .... Of course they'll just use the three fluits and warp to the end but still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

It actually aggravates me to watch those guys play, because they do incredibly stupid things. First off, on a speed run like that, stopping to get mushrooms/flowers kills your time.
    Another thing, they took the slowest route possible on the second level. See where they went above the level? That's a big no-no for me. It wastes WAY too much time to stop and break the bricks at the top, then jump up there. Level 1-2 is one of the few levels that is fairly easy to run through without letting go of B and Forward.
    They were showing off before a live crowd and screwing around, the very end of the video should show that. (there were even parts when the player on the right stopped for a moment to allow the left player to close up on him) They were also dressed up as Mario and Luigi.. Oh yeah, I'm sure that was just the hardest fought competition of their lives.

I think what got the crowd going the most was clearing the pipes in 4-1 while the pirahana plants were still sticking up. Yeah it's not a huge deal but most stop at those pipes and wait for the plants to go back down. Also the water part of 8-4 since by then they were pretty much even and back in full tilt mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    It actually aggravates me to watch those guys play, because they do incredibly stupid things. First off, on a speed run like that, stopping to get mushrooms/flowers kills your time.
    Another thing, they took the slowest route possible on the second level. See where they went above the level? That's a big no-no for me. It wastes WAY too much time to stop and break the bricks at the top, then jump up there. Level 1-2 is one of the few levels that is fairly easy to run through without letting go of B and Forward.

I get it.
    I just think I can do better :P.
    But thats just my opinion.

And for the record... I have actually done it infront of an audience (which could have actually beaten my best time, but it wasn't filmed). It was at a swap meet in Ottawa. Good times.
    Again, your all making valid points, and I should probably just shut up

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Heh, very cool. Kinda reminds me of the competitions my boyfriend and his brother have to beat Symphony of the Night the fastest, one playing the PlayStation version and the other playing the Saturn port. Of course, they're not dressed up as Alucard and Richter as they do it. :P