Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
Every new piece of hardware is "Nintendo's big comeback." Each time around, a few more third parties drop off, first party games get a little fewer and farther between and the general public cares a little less.
SLLLLAAAAAAP! This is sad but true. But its not entirely Ns fault, the market is heavily saturated. Every market is heavily saturated nowdays, slimming profit margins to where it is nearly impossible to do anything, let alone anything risky (read innovative).

For this I give N props. N has taken risks noone else could ever have taken on. THe gamecube was "cutesy" which I thought was funny for a number of reasons. First, cuz I recall that the reason why the NES and SNES (even n64)were such tanks is cuz they wanted them viewed as "professional entertainment systems" that you can put with your component stack and not be embarassed, secondly the last gen systems were clearly a tech war (both in aesthetic and hardware) and N opted out and introduced an odd, hard to fit in with your entertainment system cube with cutsie little disks. I thought it was in true spirit of gaming (fun and theme based), but regardless of teh hardware specs, it just looks less powerful

(like comparing a neon SRT-4 to an EVO VIII, both about as fast in many parameters, SRT costs 10k less, and you can safely pull more hp out of the SRT4 engine, but the thing looks like an econobox, while the evo looks alot nicer and faster, so which one would you buy if you had the money to buy either)

anyway, comparatively, the GCN is "unprofessional looking, with a flip top lid instead of load tray not to mention the release color and the shape. (purple was pushed in almost all the ads and black was the "secondary" color iirc)

Now that N realizes that a game system can be aesthetically fun etc without being odd (looking at apple for inspiration) adn the consumer base generally realizes that processing power and extra features isn't everything (N's philosophy that has obviously taken root imo) I say they have a good chance with the REV. This is beside all of the innovation that may be present in teh up-coming console.