Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "New Super Mario Bros." Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    I bought it yesterday and have to say I'm very underwhelmed. I think I've officially fallen out of love with Nintendo.

Hate the name too, but whatrugonnado...
    Damn, I take it that you hate this game then!?

I got this Monday and am in World 3 right now. While I like this game very much, I don't love it yet. I think the reason along with anyone else that doesn't like it is because you think about all the good times with ALL the old Mario's, so this game has ALOT to live up too. While this new game to have come out might be better than another older Mario, you don't think so because you just think of all the good times with the old Mario games.

So far I think this game is way too easy, and the game is too much like Super Mario Bros. for the NES. While of course that game is great, I was hoping this game would be more along the lines of Super Mario World, or SMB3. This NEW SMB just so far is too plain, but again I'm only in the World 3. But don't get me wrong, this is a good game to me so far, but it's too much reminisant of the original SMB, and I was hoping for Super Mario World i guess?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The entireity of World-8 is everything that's right with video games wrapped up into one nice, neat little package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by downfall
    The entireity of World-8 is everything that's right with video games wrapped up into one nice, neat little package.
    Dang, I just got to World 8 last night before I retired to bed. Can't wait to see what's next.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Dave
    Dang, I just got to World 8 last night before I retired to bed. Can't wait to see what's next.
    I can ruin the surprise... World 8 is next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's well crafted, full of suprises, great level design, and moreso than any other World in the game took me back to my childhood, which I spent tearing through the castles of Super Mario World and the levels of Super Mario Bros. 3. Pure fun is all it is - and it's done to perfection.

Maybe not that hard, maybe not that long - but it's one hell of a ride, plain and simple.

And understand, I liked the rest of the game, but I wasn't as blown away as most people, and I don't really dig either of the new power-ups. It was fun all the way through, but it wasn't until World 8 that I was really, really captivated by it - the same way I was when I first played through Super Mario World after playing 3 for all those years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is fun, but it's just that, fun. I think it's a wonderful addition to the Mario platforming franchise, but for me, it falls short of just about every other title. Maybe I was too hyped about the game, I don't know. After all, the same thing happened to me when Gunstar Super Heroes came out. That's twice I've been underwhelmed from a potential game of the millenium. Oh well, it's still fun and I'll be replaying it sometime in the future.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoMan
    Damn, I take it that you hate this game then!?
    Hate the name, but I am enjoying playing it. I was just expecting to be more thrilled with the prospect and I'm not whatsoever (hence the underwhelmed comment).

I wouldn't rate it as high as I'd rate SMB3 and SMW say. I can pretty much guarantee I'll play those two games a dozen times over before I play through this a second time. This just looks prettier IMO and doesn't bring enough to the table.

(Is it just me, or are the minigames the same as in SMB64DS? I am *really* disappointed in the minigames after glancing at them).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Just completed the game tonight. Was very fun, but in no way as memorable as the Mario platform titles that came before it. Each of those games found something new to add to the table with each offering.

New Super Mario Bros is really just a collection of many different themes and ideas from the past. It's like a semi sequel to the original SMB, hence the reason why I think they decided to simply call this one NEW SMB.

A must have for any DS owner, but sadly, I was really expecting much more from this one.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

New SMB is a fun game but I just bought the game last night and I already finished it. Last freakin night! The game was a little on the easy side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game was developed to bring in the customers that stopped gaming over time, and figured that they could still get into a "Super Mario Bros." game....since they played it 20 years ago.

Henceforth why it is so easy. I agree with a few comments baove that we were just over hyped for it. Myself included. I beat the game, but through Warp Zones I stumbled across, so there are worlds I still need to experience. Downfall is right though, World 8-5 through 8-8 is gaming bliss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wrote a short blurb about New Mario over at V-TNG, and I ended up making the same point as yours. It's very much a videogame nostalgia trip, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Is this game easy? Well, I remember when Super Mario World came out; I flew through the entire game in about three days. It certainly was a game with a million secrets and surprises and its fair share of challenge, but nothing that an experienced gamer couldn't handle.

Five years later, I had a roommate with a Super Nintendo, so I played through Super Mario World again. This time, I played it cool, taking my time and enjoying the experience as much as possible. It took me two weeks to finish that time, and it was infinitely more fun to play through.

New Mario is as densely packed as any of the classic titles, and there are even a few times when I get stumped or beaten down. It probably won't take too long for me to reach the end, but if I take the time to find all the secrets, hit all those hidden coin boxes, discover all the warp pipes and vines and star coins....well, I suppose I'll enjoy the trip a lot more.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

There were so many different things to unlock in Super Mario World, from the different colored Yoshi's to the 5 star warps and Special Zone, the game gave you incentive to keep playing in order to find these things.

But much like the first Super Mario Bros, this game really has nothing more outside It's 8 worlds and few hidden levels within each world. And I've read that once you collect all the different Coin Stars from each level, it unlocks a new background for the title screen. Hardlya prize worthy of such a feat, but I guess we'll have to deal with it.

Again, I want to make claer that while I was disappointed with this game, it in no way is a BAD game. It was still very resfreshing to dive into a New SMB game and I'm sure I'll be playing it again sometime soon.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What are we looking at here, guys? 4 hours of playtime? 8 hours? I'd love to have a rough idea. My copy is sitting at home, and I aim to have a play tonight if possible.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Initial playthough was quick for me. Just over 3 hours, no warp cannons used. I could see the game being finished in under an hour, if you know where the warps are. The time, and most of the challenge, is in the 100% completion haul.

And Natue Boy, the games are reused from 64DS, but they've been redone to support wireless multiplayer off one game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    What are we looking at here, guys? 4 hours of playtime? 8 hours? I'd love to have a rough idea. My copy is sitting at home, and I aim to have a play tonight if possible.
    I'd say around 6 hourse for the first time.

Well, I beat the game last night. My son watched as I took on the final boss and conquered him (after about 10 tries ). World 8 is so awesome....I wish they made the rest of the game as challenging as those last 5 or 6 levels. Some of those levels really had my hands sweating towards the end.

All in all, I would give this game a strong 9 out of 10. While the game was pretty easy on most levels, it's still an incredible amount of fun. This is the kind of game that you can just pick up and play at anytime and just have some fun with it. We need more games like this nowadays.

Also, I think expectations for a portable game might have been a little too high. Portable games have rarely lived up to the standards of their console counterparts. No Castlevania has yet to achieve SoTN greatness, no Metroid has lived up to Super Metroid, no Zelda has lived up to Ocarina or LTTP(except LTTP itself ). While this game does not live up to the previous Mario games I think for a portable game NSMB is pretty amazing.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

[quote="Simply Dave"]
    Also, I think expectations for a portable game might have been a little too high. Portable games have rarely lived up to the standards of their console counterparts. No Castlevania has yet to achieve SoTN greatness, no Metroid has lived up to Super Metroid, no Zelda has lived up to Ocarina or LTTP(except LTTP itself ). While this game does not live up to the previous Mario games I think for a portable game NSMB is pretty amazing.
    I pretty much agree with nthis statement. My expectations were perhaps a litttle to high. If I were to compare this game to the Super Mario Land games, this one would clearly win. I guess what we all really are cravin' is a new 2D console Mario game!

That'll be the day.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by poe
    And Natue Boy, the games are reused from 64DS, but they've been redone to support wireless multiplayer off one game.
    Am I alone in feeling ripped off in that respect then? If I ever use that extra feature I'll be *stunned* - they could've at least given me something new.

(I felt the same about the SMB remakes for GBA. I *love* having SMW and SMB3 in portable format, but was disappointed in getting the same 'bonus' Mario Bros game...)

If there's one thing this conversation has done, though, it's given me a hankering for some SMW action. The more I think about it the more it's a top 10 game for me.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-----
    Last edited by Jive3D; 02-11-2024 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

[quote="ShinobiMan"]
    I pretty much agree with nthis statement. My expectations were perhaps a litttle to high. If I were to compare this game to the Super Mario Land games, this one would clearly win. I guess what we all really are cravin' is a new 2D console Mario game!

That'll be the day.
    A day in the fall, you mean. Because Super Paper Mario is going to be a new 2D console Mario platformer :P
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this game.