Thread: The Xbox 360 controller's d-pad sucks ass.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Xbox 360 controller's d-pad sucks ass.

WTF is this shit Microsoft put on the 360 controller? It seems like a leftover, cheap piece of plastic they pulled out of their ass. It is a horribly inaccurate D-pad, and it's uncomfortable. A definite downgrade from the Controller S.

Anyone agree?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

While i do think it feels uncomfortable after a long period of time (14 hours) the pad feels considerably more comfortable then the Type-S or any other major d-pad. It's a piss load better then the GC or the DC. I find it more comfortable then the 4-button d-pad on the Dual Shock. Especially when doing sweeping motions.

I've logged well over 100 hours in DOA4 using the d-pad and it's as accurate as any other d-pad i've used. Sometimes i hit forawrd up instead of forward, but hey i've done that on the Type-S which is far more inaccurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find it perfectly adequate for what it is. Looking back on the last few console's D-pads Ps1/2, Xbox, GC, Dreamcast, and the N64 it realy is the best one we have so far. The only D-pads i think realy are even close to being as comfortable is the 3DO and the Saturn.

As for accuracy ive yet to have any problems with it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

disagree.

I think the 360 controller is a complete upgrade over the s controller. Not only that I like it better than anything on the market today. Which is strange because this is the first microsoft controller I have acutally liked. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

no problems with it here.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though I don't think the 360 has the best controller it is no way crappy. It's actually pretty good.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The D-Pad is my only gripe with the 360 controller. It could've been better for sure, but I can live with it.

When SF2:Hyper comes out, I'll just get a stick, no biggie.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was surprised. I loved both controllers for the original Xbox......but the new 360 controller irks me with it's myriad of (unnecessary) features. I realize that I'm most likely deeply in the minority, but I wish that Microsoft had of offered a "regular" controller as an option that did not feature the center button nor all of the on/off features. It's kind of silly that you can stay on your couch to close the tray....but you have to walk over to the console to open it. Why is there no command to open the tray with the controller during gameplay? Or why did they bother to have the option to close the tray with the controller if you're standing in front of the console after manually opening the tray and inserting the disc? Wouldn't the average person reach forward and also manually close the tray before heading back to the couch? Ditto for the on/off feature. You're in front of the console to insert or remove a disc in most cases, so was it really an absolute necessity to feature a gimmick like on/off from the controller? How many experienced gamers actually leave a disc in the drive and turn off the power?

There is also no way to reboot the console from the controller after a game freeze. In some cases the controller needs to be recalibrated with the console because it auto-switches channels, which is a royal pain in the ass. Did no-one experience this during development?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I have yet to experience the 360's D-Pad, I could not imagine anything can be worse than the PSP's. I cannot believe the thing has no diagonal movement.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    I was surprised. I loved both controllers for the original Xbox......but the new 360 controller irks me with it's myriad of (unnecessary) features. I realize that I'm most likely deeply in the minority, but I wish that Microsoft had of offered a "regular" controller as an option that did not feature the center button nor all of the on/off features. It's kind of silly that you can stay on your couch to close the tray....but you have to walk over to the console to open it. Why is there no command to open the tray with the controller during gameplay? Or why did they bother to have the option to close the tray with the controller if you're standing in front of the console after manually opening the tray and inserting the disc? Wouldn't the average person reach forward and also manually close the tray before heading back to the couch? Ditto for the on/off feature. You're in front of the console to insert or remove a disc in most cases, so was it really an absolute necessity to feature a gimmick like on/off from the controller? How many experienced gamers actually leave a disc in the drive and turn off the power?

There is also no way to reboot the console from the controller after a game freeze. In some cases the controller needs to be recalibrated with the console because it auto-switches channels, which is a royal pain in the ass. Did no-one experience this during development?
    That's why i love the mini-remote. It's got all the on/off open/close features you could want.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one of the "new" 360s that didn't come with a mini remote. Looks like I'll invest in the uber-remote then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

and you can change your music with it. and check things without wearing out the batteries in your 360 controller. nice pack-in, a shame it is not with every unit sold.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is there no command to open the tray with the controller during gameplay? Or why did they bother to have the option to close the tray with the controller if you're standing in front of the console after manually opening the tray and inserting the disc? Wouldn't the average person reach forward and also manually close the tray before heading back to the couch?
    I think the "close tray" command on the dashboard is just there for the aesthetics of it all. Jeez.

Ditto for the on/off feature. You're in front of the console to insert or remove a disc in most cases, so was it really an absolute necessity to feature a gimmick like on/off from the controller?
    Gimmick? I've never turned off or on my 360 by pressing the green ring on the system. Maybe once or twice back in December, but twice at most.

I like not-touching the chrome "tray open/close" button. I avoid as much contact with the system as possible. I use the media remote to open i and the controllers to close the tray.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're looking for an alternative to the 360 controller I suggest checking this one out. I own one myself, and it's SIMPLY THE BEST controller for the 360. If it was just wireless it'd be perfect.

VGO Network store

Controller is on sale for 34.99.

They also have the DoA4 arcade stick.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like the d-pad on it either. I can't get the damn thing to read the actual directions I'm trying to press most of the time. It's especially noticeable in the GTA games. However, the rest of the controller is the best controller I've used so far. Much better than previous Xbox controllers and now my new favorite, pushing out the PS2 controller.