Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: IT'S OVER! Check out the top 10 and full list!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Day 2 have to say it it really good I am impressed

very nice job guys

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga don't make anywhere near what they did when they were introduced but they still make good day to day coin in most locations.
    They still often appeared in PlayMeter's top 25 games, pretty much all the way until the combo game came out. They might not have made the same amount as when they originally came out, but arcades were in a completely different state at that time than when Daytona came out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter what way you look at it, Daytona USA belongs in a very elite class with arcade games that have really continued to do well throughout the ages -- a class that really only contains at most a handful of games.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

finally, so far 2 from my list made it --

waiting for this week to week thing is worse than the original wait

how about 2000 meseta for the whole list
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    If you wanted a write-up for WB3 Dragon Trap, you should have asked one of us that have filled our "items" with those characters hehe.
    Who are these people you speak of? Who would have WB3 "items" here? **glances down** Oh yeah, right...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what, I popped in Daytona for the Saturn yesturday, and I owe everybody that voted for Daytona a big apology. That game is damn good. I mean, I played the thing a bunch when I originally had a Saturn, and then I played it when I rediscovered the Saturn when I went retro, but for some reason, I forgot just how fun that game is.

The music is great, the sound effects are great, even the game over sequence is great. I mean, even when you enter your initials it's great!!! Sure, the graphics have pop up galore, there aren't as many cars on the tracks, and it can be a little bit glitchy, but damn that is a fine piece of software. I actually like the original better than the other Saturn one that came later. Part of it is the music. I know some people hate the music of the original, but to me, it just adds character to the game. It suits the game. It is Daytona.

Still, having said all of that, Sega Rally is still the best racing game on the Saturn, with Daytona a close second. As good as Sega Rally is, I don't think it made my top 25 list, so I'm still kinda suprised that Daytona got that high on enough people's lists, but it's all gravy. I can understand now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    ...there aren't as many cars on the tracks
    The amount of cars on track is equal to the single player (non linked) setup in the arcade: 39 rivals for Three Seven Speedway (Beginner), 19 rivals for Dinosaur Canyon (Advanced), 29 rivals for Seaside Street Galaxy (Expert). It still looks nowhere as nice as the arcade version but it plays great and looks good enough to still be a blast at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I actually like the original better than the other Saturn one that came later. Part of it is the music. I know some people hate the music of the original, but to me, it just adds character to the game. It suits the game. It is Daytona.
    Agreed, the new soundtrack for Circuit Edition blew and Sega reacted to the fan reaction by changing things in the Japanese release that came out a few months after the US release. In addition to the new Eric Martin tunes (that we all hate) they added the option to use the ORIGINAL arcade music for Three Seven Speedway, Dinosaur Canyon, and Seaside Street Galaxy. The Saturn port of the original didn't use the exact Daytona USA arcade music yet it was VERY similar and thereby not a big deal. I also didn't like how the left and right sides of each car were mirrors of one another in Circuit Edition although I'm sure that was a graphic trick to pull off the increased draw distance and detail. Still, with the addition of the original arcade music for the three original tracks, the Japanese version of Circuit Edition is much better - still do like the original Daytona USA more myself though.

Daytona USA on the Dreamcast (Daytona USA 2001 in Japan) was also a nice addition once you get the control down, a loving tribute from Sega to one of their greatest arcade franchises. Yeah, it looks better than the original arcade Daytona USA but there are some changes (the roller coaster removed from National Park Speedway - looks more like a state park than an amusement park now) and I've never liked any design of the Hornet stock car as much as the original. I'm too damn picky about that - right down to "Since 1992" on the hood in the arcade and "Since 1994" on the hood in the Saturn and PC versions. Oh man, I'm starting to sound like airraid.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    It was a hard way to pull the distinction, but I believe the SMS/GG version is a bit different to the original MD/Genesis version...? Hence a reason for separating them.
    Yes it is quite different. BTW, the GG/Master System game was released after the Genesis' release.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when are we getting the 3rd installment????????? I'm fiending over here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MY top 25 list changed already -- i didn't think it would take such a short while before i would add a title to that list.
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One could only hope Sonic CD is way up on the list.

Please.

I'll take a high ranking for Sonic 2 though. Either or.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

an update wouldn't go astray...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theMot
    an update wouldn't go astray...
    And it didn't. It tried to but I wrangled it to the ground and told it SIT!

... update up, let the phantasy star worship/complaining begin!

-AB+
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive

... update up, let the phantasy star worship/complaining begin!

-AB+
    Three Phantasy Star Games!........

ONLY MADE IT TO THE 70's??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!

WHAT THE BLOODY BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP RACKIN' FARKIN' BING BONG BARKIN'!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

All three of those were in my top ten hehe. I knew I should've created a few more accounts and started ballot-box stuffing.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Heh, I haven't played a single game in this section of the list.

Still a fun read...keep it going!!
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I had my doubts that civII was going to make it.

I'm surprised to see phantasy star so low.

Will Star Control II ever be seen on this list?

Tune in next time. Same dp time, same dp channel.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Very good list today! I love the fact that the 3 best Phantasy Stars, Mario RPG, and 2 SNK games are all grouped together.

I'll have to play Civ II one day though, I was always a Age of Empires fan.

I really wish Wind Waker made it a little higher...but I am still really glad it made it. Only on DP will you not hear about it's "child-like" gameplay, that game is eons ahead of it's time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Yeah, that's pretty sad that the Phantasy Star games are only ranked that high.

I'm afraid that having three fairly popular games in the series split the vote. (And I bet Phantasy Star Online doesn't make an appearance despite the fact it was an excellent game and was the first real reason to play a console online)

Have actually played all of those games at launch, I can say with a degree of authority that Phantasy Star II deserves a much higher spot.

People don't realize what a truly amazing game that was, and still is. People made such a big deal about Aerith getting slain by Seppy in the first third of FFVII. Folks from my generation realize Sega did it better when Nei was slain half way through Phantasy Star II.

And the game was epic beyond all expectations at the time. Nothing seen on a console before had even come close to the scope of PSII.

In any case, this series of games has stood as a bit of a disappointment with Civilization II. Assume that the original, or subsequent, iterations don't make an appearance, it's position in the list is a travesty. Civilization II is the most important turn based strategy game of all time. More than X-Com, more than Heroes of Might and Magic II. I'd say it's the most important strategy game of all time.

It does say something about the nature of these forums in that there wasn't a "personal take" on the game. At our classic gaming night, if we asked who hadn't played Civilization II, and someone raised their hand, I'd punch them in the face and they'd know that they deserved it. Likewise for Star Control II. But, since this is primarily a console forum, I should expect a little disappointment in the PC realm of things.

But, anyway, I'll withhold my total bitch fest until this thing is seen through. People should keep in mind that I don't think there were that many votes (80 or so I thought) so everything should be swallowed with a couple of grains of salt.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I agree with what you said. This list was a favorites list, not an importance list. I would guess that people here would have voted differently if it was a importance list, voting for games that aren’t their favorites but felt they were important.

It should also be kept in mind that this was a favorites list. – I don’t know how many people treated it as such but I did.

So far only one of my top 5 favorite games made it. Civ 2 was my number 4. I wonder what was the total number of points it got.
    --Frank Herbert

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

after the full Top 100 is listed, the entire list with point scoring will be posted. I don't think the tiebreakers will make it on there, but overall you can see where everything placed.

I know #101 will cause riots, but that's later on

-AB+
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drwily008
    I really wish Wind Waker made it a little higher...but I am still really glad it made it. Only on DP will you not hear about it's "child-like" gameplay, that game is eons ahead of it's time!
    Same here, it's great to see it on the list. It was one of the few modern era games that reminded me of playing NES titles for the first time when I was six or seven. Also one of the few games where I just shut everything down for a couple days straight to enjoy it.

You're stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllll in a drrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaammmm... SNNNNNAAAAKKKEEE EEEEAAAAATTTTEEERRRRrrr....

Could have been a bit more on MGS3, I mean, Hideo Kojima did weave the Metal Gear plotline into factual history pretty damn well. Taking the Jupiter IRBM's out of Turkey being a ruse (which it was, for other reasons) to cover up the Soviet Union pulling out of Cuba just to retrieve Sokalov? Come on, that was excellent storycrafting. And you get to finally meet the man who originally created the idea of Metal Gear - and why they are called "Metal Gear" be explained.

I won't get into Phantasy Star II the same reason why I don't get into Final Fantasy III / VI. "Lalala, same thing... try to support more than half the game based on the battle system alone... not fun enough to do that.. lalala..."