Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Sega Mega Drive Convertor?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Mahoutskai's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Sega Mega Drive Convertor?

I was thinking about getting a sega mega drive convertor so I can play the japanese shooters that have piled up. I don't know what convertor to get though. What convertor is compatible with the most games and works the best? By the way, is it true that japanese mega drive cartridges in fact DO NOT have region coding, and you just use the convertor as a mean of extending you cartridge port? My friend told me to cut that sucker open so I could fit the games in there. x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just use a game genie, they are super cheap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pre-1993 games do not use region coding, so any adaptor will do the trick for those if you don't want to enlarge the cart-slot.
    However, from '93 onwards, some publishers did region-lock their games. Make sure you get a Mega Key-type adaptor that has dip-switches for each region, and you should be set for everything.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Monaco GP II and Thunderforce IV have region codeing... it was in an issue of EGM and i personally have tested Super Monaco GP II... you get a screen w/ words telling you something about the game not being intended for the region...

Do any other titles have region lock outs that you guys know of ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

do these region lockouts occour on original run genesis units w/o the licensing screen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    do these region lockouts occour on original run genesis units w/o the licensing screen?
    Yes. The license check is entirely seperate to the region check.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    Yes. The license check is entirely seperate to the region check.
    Yep, unfortunately it is added to the cart. Strangely, Monaco GP II is the first game I saw do this too (only released in Japan).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Screw all this converter / passthrough crap and hardmod a Genesis or purchase a modded one. Then you can play US and JPN games (EUR PAL carts as well but I've never had the need for that so I don't put the extra 50Hz / 60Hz switch in) all on one system without extra boards or carts.

I have one up now but it's WAY rough in terms of the console due to an aborted paint mod...

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66944

...if it wouldn't rain on one freaking Tuesday then I'd have some alternate consoles to pick up and mod. Supposed to rain tomorrow as well. :/ If you want a hardmodded Genesis then watch my thread or PM me and I'll let you know when I have more ready. (will also do custom work) There are other hardmods up from time to time in the Buying & Selling thread but all the others I've seen have the switches ON the right side, which makes connection to a Sega CD impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahoutskai
    My friend told me to cut that sucker open so I could fit the games in there. x_x
    In addition to removing the little tabs on the back of the cartridge slot you also have to widen the reverse edges (where it curves on the front) and widen the slot a bit more over all to allow Japanese Mega Drive games to fit smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by noname11
    Do any other titles have region lock outs that you guys know of ?
    There was a thread somewhere on this that sparked a mini-debate, search around for it if you'd like. Really you should just hardmod your systems so it's not an issue.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking about converters? I can answer this question.

They are three main converters out there:

Game Genie: This method will play un-region lock games, but in US mode. For example I have a Japanese copy of Twin Hawk and when I play the game with the Game Genie, it'll show me the Western logo of the game. My Japanese copy of Fire Shark is the same way. There are some Game Genie codes that are made so you are able to play some games that have region lock in them (Alien Soldier, Thunder Force IV). The down side is you have to enter the code each time when you want to play the game. Also there are only a small amount of region lock games with the Game Genie codes, so you're limited on what games you can play.

Honey Bee: A simple bythru converter. However, this will not let you play region lockout games on your Genesis. Same spects as the Genesis.

Mega Key: This is the best out of the three. It plays any American, Brazilian, Japanese, and European cartridge out there (with a stwich). This cartridge will play 50hz games on your NTSC machine. The only down side that this is hard to find in the wild.

This should explain everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter17
    Talking about converters? I can answer this question.

They are three main converters out there:

Game Genie: This method will play un-region lock games, but in US mode. For example I have a Japanese copy of Twin Hawk and when I play the game with the Game Genie, it'll show me the Western logo of the game. My Japanese copy of Fire Shark is the same way. There are some Game Genie codes that are made so you are able to play some games that have region lock in them (Alien Soldier, Thunder Force IV). The down side is you have to enter the code each time when you want to play the game. Also there are only a small amount of region lock games with the Game Genie codes, so you're limited on what games you can play.

Honey Bee: A simple bythru converter. However, this will not let you play region lockout games on your Genesis. Same spects as the Genesis.

Mega Key: This is the best out of the three. It plays any American, Brazilian, Japanese, and European cartridge out there (with a stwich). This cartridge will play 50hz games on your NTSC machine. The only down side that this is hard to find in the wild.

This should explain everything.
    All three are still a lot of bother, especially when a pair of switches and a wider cartridge slot accomplish everything all three do.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid

All three are still a lot of bother, especially when a pair of switches and a wider cartridge slot accomplish everything all three do.
    If you're able to find a cheap Mega Key, this will save your a lot of money. And I don't like people opening my system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with David on this one (are you really insane?)

I can understand you not wanting to crack open your console if you have a brand-spanking-new expensive X360, but an ancient Megadrive? Come on, if you do mess-up the mod (unlikely) you can get a new MD for next to nothing.

Sega were nice enough to provide us with easily moddable consoles with the MD and the Saturn, so take advantage of it. Same goes for modding a SNES for 50/60hz and disabling that region chip; go for it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey

I can understand you not wanting to crack open your console if you have a brand-spanking-new expensive X360, but an ancient Megadrive? Come on, if you do mess-up the mod (unlikely) you can get a new MD for next to nothing.

Sega were nice enough to provide us with easily moddable consoles with the MD and the Saturn, so take advantage of it. Same goes for modding a SNES for 50/60hz and disabling that region chip; go for it.
    Insane, there's a crazy nutjob who wants $60 for a SVIDEO mod, that guy is out of his mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid

If you're able to find a cheap Mega Key, this will save your a lot of money. And I don't like people opening my system.

Thanks. The Genesis was pretty much designed for easy disassembly. (as most systems of this era) It's all easy to get to and take apart. It's not like there are six boards and an optics assembly to disconnect or a thousand screws to keep track of. Well you do have to have some basic electronics knoweledge to perform the mods (more so for the Genesis 2 mods although I find those easier) it's the best way to go. Usually cheaper to have it done than what you'll pay for an overpriced MagicKey anyway.

Insane, there's a crazy nutjob who wants $60 for a SVIDEO mod, that guy is out of his mind!
    CosmicMonkey's comment was directed at me.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just hard mod with a JP/US switch.

There is much fun to be had with that mod.

I'd also pick up a Game Genie. I say this because if you want to play *ALL* games including the early stuff like "Budokan" a GG is your new best friend. No codes, just press start and it will load on *ANY* Genesis system (well, Model 1 & 2's anyway).

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From 1992 onward, regional lockout was implemented in the games for the various regions. My first game with regional lockout was Thunder Force IV. As for converters, I would definitely recommend Magic Key or Mega Key, as both have dip switches for various lockout settings. I use it all the time. The extra benefit is that games with multiple versions on the same cart can be unlocked using such devices. It's like having JP, US, and EU consoles in one unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$60 sounds about right for that kind of mod, why is he insane? It's not like he's opening it up a flicking a switch, he has to build the circuit and install it along with the s-video and composite jacks. $60 for parts and labour sounds reasonable.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer
    From 1992 onward, regional lockout was implemented in the games for the various regions.
    The first game i noticed with the lockout was "Streets of Rage 2". I'd guess that mostly any game beyond mid-1992 has a lockout.

I say mostly becuase i have the game "High Seas Havoc" that dosn't have a lockout and i can get it to show up with its Japanese title (which i don't remember at this time).

And i still say a hard mod is the way to go because you can have some with not only Genesis/MD games but also any other accessory (minus SEGA CD) that plugs into the Genesis.

I've had Master System games pop up the "Mark III" logo and i've even got my (now gone) 32X to pop up the "Super 32X" logo.

Fun times.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer
    It's like having JP, US, and EU consoles in one unit.
    Or you hardmod with a pair of switches and a cart slot widening job and you DO have JPN, US, and EUR consoles all on one unit. Hell, you already do, unlock them with a hardmod!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You do need to be wary with some of the dip-switch converters as some of them will not play all of the protected games. There are a few games in particular that seem to be problematic in that respect - including Golden Axe 3, Mega Man Yu Yu Hakushu and Alien Soldier.

I have owned inumerable converters, most of which would not play these games - even some of the dip-switch converters. The only converters I have found that would play ALL games that I tried were:

Nitro 2 Converter

Magic Key 3 converter

Once again, be wary with the Magic Key converters though - there are a lot of different converters that all go under the name of 'Magic Key' Most of them will not play these games. If there's no photo, make sure the one you are buying has four dip switches on the back - if so, it is the correct one.
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous